Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Fuel Pump Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Fuel Pump Problem

Has anyone here had problems with their fuel pump on the tC before?

Well this morning, I left school (Santa Cruz) to go home (San Francisco) When I drove out the parking lot, the engine began stalling a bit. It was cold and I only warmed up the car for about 3 mins or so. So I pulled over and waited another 2 mins. Then drove off. Everything was fine until about 15 mins later when I was on the highway... the engine began stalling and soon died on me. It was a _____ cause it was a two lane highway in the mountains GOING UP HILL (Highway 17 for those who are from the Bay Area). I tried started it over and over again but it won't start. I hear the cranking noise but it won't start. I had to call the highway patrol to push me a little off to the side. Then tow truck came and towed me 70 miles back to the Toyota dealership by my house.

Good thing the dealership offered me good customer service. The mechanic took a look at my car and said it should be the fuel pump. So now I'm without my tC until Monday.

So has anyone had this problem before? I have a 2006 tC w/ 29,5xx miles. Right now performance-wise my car is stock.

Sticky Where to Post Your Question

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-13-2020 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Awarded 15 Year Badge
Old 01-05-2007, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I do remember that a few months back there was this guy who had this fuel pump fail on his almost brand new tC... dealership replaced it with no problem
Old 01-05-2007, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My only question I suppose is did you frequently run the tank real low? Especially with any combination of racing or show boating?

The pump relies on the surrounding fuel to keep itself cool.

Otherwise I don't see any of your mods that would hurt it. Must have just been a bad pump.

z
Old 01-06-2007, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Could just be a bad part. I have replaced parts and found that the replacement part was bad right out of the box. Of course, it makes you then doubt your original diagnosis and do a bunch more checking before actually realizing you were unlucky enough to just get a bad unit

Probably just a fluke that died early on you. If a second one dies.. then you may want to do some checking
Old 01-06-2007, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zander416
My only question I suppose is did you frequently run the tank real low? Especially with any combination of racing or show boating?

Otherwise I don't see any of your mods that would hurt it. Must have just been a bad pump.

z
Nope I always fill up before 1/8 left.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
Could just be a bad part. I have replaced parts and found that the replacement part was bad right out of the box. Of course, it makes you then doubt your original diagnosis and do a bunch more checking before actually realizing you were unlucky enough to just get a bad unit

Probably just a fluke that died early on you. If a second one dies.. then you may want to do some checking
That makes me feel better

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-13-2020 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Awarded 15 Year Badge
Old 01-06-2007, 09:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just wondering...
How much does a fuel pump cost? Is it around $200 or so?
And what kind of work is involved in changing the fuel pump?
What usually causes a fuel pump to fail?
Old 01-06-2007, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

work involved? well have to take out the back seat cushions to access the fuel sending unit which contains the fuel pump.

Pumps can be more than $200.

And what causes it to fail? low gas, almost running it empty. This causes the fuel pump to not get enough fuel to lubricate the pump, and causes it to fail.

Also bad parts can cause it to fail. It might just have been bad quality parts slipping through the supplier. And it just was time for it to die.

I'd fill up around 1/4 tank next time, don't wait for 1/8 of a tank to fill up.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The service department called me back this morning to pick up my car. They said the fuse for the EFI blew. They couldn't find any problems, but the fuse keeps blowing after awhile. They said to go home and check my wirings, if it still doesn't work bring it back.

But anyways does anyone know what the EFI looks like?
Old 01-07-2007, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

EFI = Electronic Fuel Injection and that is basically the fuse for the electric supply of the Fuel system.

Did you re-wire or do anything like tap a power wire for anything?

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-13-2020 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Awarded 15 Year Badge
Old 01-07-2007, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know its the Electonic Fuel Injection, but is there a module for this somewhere?

I just did a HID retrofit about two weeks about, but its been fine the whole time. I check all the wire connections and stuff like that.

I grounded everything and all the wires are secured. I know its not the retrofit because I disconnected the power to that just to make sure its not that.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-13-2020 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Awarded 15 Year Badge
Old 01-07-2007, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
work involved? well have to take out the back seat cushions to access the fuel sending unit which contains the fuel pump.

Pumps can be more than $200.

And what causes it to fail? low gas, almost running it empty. This causes the fuel pump to not get enough fuel to lubricate the pump, and causes it to fail.

Also bad parts can cause it to fail. It might just have been bad quality parts slipping through the supplier. And it just was time for it to die.

I'd fill up around 1/4 tank next time, don't wait for 1/8 of a tank to fill up.
Yep, myself, I always fill up just before it ever hits the 1/4 mark. Never had a fuel pump go out. Even on my old Grand Am that was still going strong at 155K when I sold it. (Original FP)

Z
Old 08-15-2018, 10:28 AM
SL Member

Default Steering wheel move left to right.

Originally Posted by Zander416

z
I have a problem with my tC but it's similar to his car stalling. When I'm driving and almost come to a stop, I mean slow right down and when I give it gas, it hesitate for a few seconds and then it picks up again
and you feel the engine itself move hard. I don't know what it is but I don't think it's any of my mounts because I replaced all 4 less than a year ago and I bought them from the dealership.

Anyone ever had this problem before with their tC?

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-13-2020 at 07:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-13-2020, 07:02 PM
SL Member

Had same issue yesterday myself, car died, got it towed for $140, checked relay and watched video on youtube by Fix It Felix, made the process simple to replace. First pump i bought at O'Rielleys for $86, but the connection pins were fatter, exchanged for one from Import Direct $106, pins were correct and installed. Still would not start, checked fuses, which I should have done first, EFI blown 15a, replaced, next day drove about 6 miles popped again, replaced fuse everytime tried to start it popped, saw this forum and read some may have wire touching and grounding possibly somewhere, moved some wires around by hand didnt feel anything, put a spare 30a fuse in and it started up got it home, decided to put lower amp fuse back in to see if it would pop, driving good now, so possibly wire grounding and will investigate more. But definite check fuse and relay first next time. Pump was not that bad to install, thank goodness they designed it not to drop the gas tank to install
Old 05-28-2022, 09:21 PM

Default 2fuel pumps??

Originally Posted by ricexizxgood
Nope I always fill up before 1/8 left.
My 05 scion fires up but dies rite after every time which leads me to believe it’d be a security issue or the pump. Is it not duel injected? So there’s 2 pumps rite? And it has ran out of gas before so my questions are which pump is the one to supply the fuel after it starts so I don’t purchase the other one. And then if it was a security issue bein I’ve already done the steps to reset it. Is there any other steps to bypass or reset it? And what could have triggered it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank u