Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   tC Tech and DIY (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/tc-tech-diy-1818/)
-   -   Camber Bolt Install (SPC) (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/tc-tech-diy-1818/camber-bolt-install-spc-162953/)

ack154 05-18-2009 11:07 PM

Camber Bolt Install (SPC)

So this is my half-a$$&%, after the fact DIY/How To on the SPC Camber Bolts install. There really isn't much to the install, but I'll cover what I think is relevant and answer any questions that I can.

I bought my camber kit from TRDSparks back in September and just finally installed it. I paid just over $50 shipped.... and they're roughly the same now. They're labeled as Progress Alignment Kit on their site, but they're very obviously from SPC when you get them.

Usual Disclaimer: I'm not responsible if you f up your car and crash or something. This is just a simple DIY... take all necessary safety precautions. And remember, it's not my problem if you do it wrong... so do your research and take your time if you're unsure.

First things first... you need certain tools to get this done. As an aside... I used 1/2" drive everything. I suppose 3/8" might be OK too. Up to you and what you have.

Necessary Equipment:

- Lug Wrench (I prefer my new toy there in yellow... but a Gorilla Wrench is an EXCELLENT investment)
- 21mm Socket for Lug Nuts (as needed)
- 2 x 22mm Sockets for OEM Bolts (I used a 13/16 socket with my Gorilla wrench as the second one)
--- Or also substitute a 22mm wrench for one of them? You will need TWO sides to wrench with.
- Breaker Bar
- 1/2" Drive Ratchet
- 18mm Socket for SPC Bolts
- 21mm DEEP Socket for other end of SPC Bolts
- Proper Torque Wrench
- SPC Camber Bolts, Part #81290

http://downloads.allankintz.com/tC/D...berbolts01.jpg

So... make sure you're on level ground, safety this, blah blah blah. You should know this part by now.

Jack up the car. Remove your wheel (remember, 21mm lug nuts). Observe both OEM bolts... and let's pretend in this picture, that top bolt is still the OEM one like the bottom one. :lalala:

http://downloads.allankintz.com/tC/D...berbolts02.jpg

First thing you're going to do is take note of brake lines and the ABS line... my driver's side was OK, but I had to move the ABS line out of the way on the passenger side. Then use both of your 22mm wrenches/ratchets to remove the upper bolt. This is where the breaker bar or impact gun is helpful. They're probably going to be tight.

Once you remove that, time to grab your SPC bolt. Since mine were already on my car... here's a pic of them from SPC:

http://downloads.allankintz.com/tC/D...berbolts03.jpg

On the end with the head of the bolt is a washer with a big tab on the outside (the handle) and a little tab on the inside. The big tab on the outside needs to point in the direction of the camber you want - towards the car for negative camber and away from the car for positive. The small inner tab needs to fit into the mounting hole so that big washer sits flush as it should.

http://downloads.allankintz.com/tC/D...berbolts04.jpg

It might take a couple minutes to get that small tab to fit in the mounting hole. You need to rotate the bolt to get the tab to slip in behind the thicker section (NOTE: This will sound like English if you have the bolt in your hand, trust me). Then when you get started, give it a couple taps with your ratchet... I mean rubber mallet?

Then start threading the nut on the other end with your 18mm socket on the head end and the 21mm deep socket on the nut end. Tighten it down till it makes contact with the strut - but DO NOT tighten it.

Then loosen up the lower OEM bolt (both 22mm ends again - breaker bar or impact gun as needed). Just loosen, do not remove. Then you can rotate the new upper bolt and set desired camber. There's no way to know exactly what you're setting here... so I just tried to set them both at the maximum. SPC claims you can get up to an additional -1.75 degrees depending on the application. I don't know exactly what the tC gets, but I'm going to get it aligned later on and find out what exactly it's at and make sure everything is even.

Once you have the bolt rotated to the setting you want... be sure to HOLD the head end of the bolt steady and tighten from the nut end. SPC says 125 ft lbs for this model of bolt... so that's what I set it to. Then tighten the lower OEM bolt back up (these OEM ones are to be 177 ft lbs - thanks mich!).

TADA!

http://downloads.allankintz.com/tC/D...berbolts05.jpg

Reinstall wheel... lower car from jack... torque lug nuts to 76 ft lbs. Lather. Rinse. Repeat on other side.

So it's pretty simple, really. As long as you have all the right tools, you'll be fine. I would recommend getting it aligned at some point afterwards. I'm not going to do mine immediately, but probably in the next week or two. I don't think it should change anything else with the alignment, but I've never installed anything like this, so I can't be sure.

References:
- SPC Info Page
- SPC Install Instructions (not tC specific)
- SPC Install Video (again, not tC specific)

Questions?

BlizZard 05-18-2009 11:19 PM

NICE!

Thanks Allan! :D

ack154 05-19-2009 12:43 AM

Not a problem... It's not the most thorough... but you get the idea. :)

ack154 05-21-2009 08:28 PM

Got my alignment scheduled for next week. Will be requesting max negative camber up front. :) Can't wait to see what I end up with.

sciontc_mich 05-22-2009 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by ack154
Not a problem... It's not the most thorough... but you get the idea. :)

ack154- to help you out, i just checked the shop manual. it's 177ft-lbs for the front lower strut/camber bolts. You said you set it to 125ft-lbs, to be safe re-do it to 177ft-lbs :) gotta keep ya safe!

good write up though, interested to know what the end camber will be with it maxed out.

ack154 05-22-2009 11:36 AM

Thanks! I'll have to check them tonight. Updated the DIY above as well.

TCpete 05-22-2009 12:10 PM

nice write up allen... i have the same kit and havent installed it yet. update us on the final camber when ur done!

ScionJim23 05-22-2009 12:40 PM

Nice DIY Allen.

David616 05-25-2009 09:10 PM

Nice write up. Thanks!!!

ProMark 05-26-2009 10:57 PM

for the price you paid..

do u think this is a good upgrade for someone who has sways/struts /springs.

BlizZard 05-26-2009 11:07 PM

^what do you mean upgrade? They don't do anything performance wise....the only reason you'd need them is if you want to run more camber.

ProMark 05-26-2009 11:31 PM

well to adjust your camber wouldnt that b reaping better handling/performance

TCpete 05-26-2009 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by BlizZard
^what do you mean upgrade? They don't do anything performance wise....the only reason you'd need them is if you want to run more camber.

actually to some extent adding some negative camber can give u some better handling Blizz... but sometimes at the expense of your tires.. but at the highest point on these which is roughly -1.75 (advertised)... that amount is a good thing if your into hard cornering and handling

ack154 05-27-2009 01:30 AM

If you're looking for every day performance, this is not it. I got these to run more negative camber for autocross - which helps with turn-in.

ProMark 05-27-2009 02:13 AM

i do alot of touge, i'm just wondering for a cheap mod plus a pro align job would these bolts help me out

ack154 05-27-2009 02:25 AM

It's possible... they're obviously not expensive, so it would be something to give a try if you're curious.

I'll be getting my alignment on Thursday.

BlizZard 05-27-2009 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by TCpete

Originally Posted by BlizZard

actually to some extent adding some negative camber can give u some better handling Blizz... but sometimes at the expense of your tires.. but at the highest point on these which is roughly -1.75 (advertised)... that amount is a good thing if your into hard cornering and handling

ohh I know that! you could DEFINITELY feel a difference when you change your camber settings...I should know, I've had my camber as low as -2.5(front) and -3.8(rear) lol but too much camber isn't a good thing either.
I thought he just wanted to replace the bolts and leave it at that....there would be be NO difference performance wise unless you actually get an alignment with more negative camber.

paul_dezod 05-27-2009 04:01 PM

Nice DIY!

ack154 05-28-2009 05:55 PM

I'm at the dealer now to get my alignment. Requested at least -2* up front with before and after printouts.

TCpete 05-28-2009 06:45 PM

Blizz how did u get so much neg. camber up front?