Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   tC Tech and DIY (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/tc-tech-diy-1818/)
-   -   Full 3rd Brake Light DIY (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/tc-tech-diy-1818/full-3rd-brake-light-diy-87977/)

magyver 07-08-2008 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by etli
Yes, you can make these yourself if you're so inclined using a prototyping board and your own components. The problem is, you have to be skilled at soldering. AND you have to come up with a way to secure the components to the proto board. Solder may look like metal but, depending on the solder you use, it doesn't have "much" physical strength in tension or compression. When you're trunk is bouncing down streets with big potholes, or just un-even pavement, you're really shaking the hell out of the solder joints. My understanding regarding most people who do automotive wiring is that they use physical connecters like quick-connects, and butt-crimps.

thats incorrect. solder is what holds led's to the circuit boards.. nothing else. these led's are called snap led's and are put together by a machine. but most led's are soldered. it is a solid connection and dosent come loose.. there are things/times called cold solder joints, but that is different. they can take a beating as thats what they were designed for.

as for quick connects/butt splices, those are the least reliable connections known to man. nothing is more permanant/reliable than a soldered joint/wire. It can be proven very easily.

take apart any led factory or aftermarket led item and you will see it all soldered..

magyver 07-08-2008 04:40 AM

BTW: nice writeup! good for the cheapy's / DIY'rs out there.. bet that took awhile to write up.. LOL..

BE PATIENT WITH THE DREMEL, IT CAN OWN YOU!

DivisionbyZero 02-15-2009 11:20 PM

frustrated bump because this never made it to the tech section and took me forever to find.

Edit: it made it to the tech section, I was looking for third or lighting not 3rd.

alphabetical order ftl :(

SquallLHeart 02-16-2009 05:12 AM

actually.. it's listed under '3rd Brake Light (Full)' under the tC, electronics section of tech

sorry you had a tough time.

etli 03-15-2009 08:43 AM

Hey Trung, I thought this made it to the DIY list? from the tech section right?

SquallLHeart 03-15-2009 03:40 PM

yea.. it's like the first one..?

DivisionbyZero 03-15-2009 04:22 PM

edited my above post - sorry for the confusion.

It might be worth nothing that in place of the DIY kit, (at the moment, unavailable) one can pick up 2 stock TBL's off the PPC and have a nice bright TBL for a fraction of the cost of the competition.

Best of all you get to practice with your dremel, and pick the best cut to glue back together into your TBL.

O5_TRD_tC 03-15-2009 09:46 PM

if there's enough interests ill bring it back...

gandalfthe_grey 08-30-2009 05:51 PM

Hello, are you guys still doing these TBL's? I don't want to do it myself, please pm me the price. I'm in SoCal, so I can drive if you're close... Thanks!

TOMMYPHAM 11-11-2009 03:38 AM

you guys still have some diy kit trung

GrnBrownies 01-20-2010 02:56 AM

they're discontinued. but I just happen to get one off of a member here. gonna do it tomorrow. will post pics!

O5_TRD_tC 01-20-2010 06:28 AM

im looking forward to bring back DIY kits! stay tuned!

GrnBrownies 01-20-2010 06:55 AM

will it be the same exact kit? any changes?

GrnBrownies 01-23-2010 03:52 AM

finished, dried, gave it a second layer of epoxy, dried again and finally installed it this morning. btw, these leds match nicely with the tyc leds

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/1454/img7090.jpg

O5_TRD_tC 01-23-2010 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by GrnBrownies (Post 3437312)
will it be the same exact kit? any changes?

exact same kit!

LMRyder420 06-22-2012 05:00 AM

Full 3rd brake light w/ sequential turn signals

I had been thinking of making a full length brake light when I found this write up. I took it one step further when I found a set of LED's that had a sequential turn signal function. The LED's that I used I got at Autozone, they are called "TailLitz LEDs" they are made by Alpena which is the same company that makes all those colored LED strips. These are them.
[IMG]http://img106.imagevenue.com/loc554/..._122_554lo.jpg[/IMG]
After following the instructions here, and a bit of wiring this is what I ended up with. This video shows the 3rd brake light while I hit the lock button on the key fob which is the same as having the 4-way flashers on. Excuse the missing bezel, I was in the process of removing the Scion emblem from it.

BLIZZWHTPRL1071 10-23-2013 02:05 PM

The video doesn't work. At least not anymore. Actually the DIY and almost all the pictures on this thread don't work. It might just be me and my dumb work computer but just a heads up.

I would love to get a full TBL for my RS 3.0. I think it would look so much better with the 3.0 LED tails then the 1/3 lit TBL.

GrnBrownies 10-23-2013 06:08 PM

yea, i couldn't figure out why they would design it like that except to save some $

the left third portion of my lights went out so I gotta see what's going on. Blizz, I can shoot you some pics when I get around to them. It was a pretty easy DIY. PM me ur email