Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   tC Tech and DIY (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/tc-tech-diy-1818/)
-   -   Hatch Rattle Fix (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/tc-tech-diy-1818/hatch-rattle-fix-33086/)

guerro 09-19-2006 08:28 AM

Re: Fixed my hatch rattle FREE of charge

Originally Posted by tonka_tuph
I'll take some pictures and post. I feel great! and I love my TC even more now that it doesn't rattle!

PICS???????? ????

PghtC 09-19-2006 01:03 PM

yeah, if my roof didn't creak and rattle, it would be a good car. now it is just annoying and embarrassing to drive people around in because they always ask about it...

MountScion1 09-20-2006 10:55 AM

all the rattles seem to be different, for example my rattle sounds like a peanut in a coke can that makes noise on any road that isn't prefectly paved.

PghtC 09-20-2006 11:25 AM

well my hatch doesn't rattle anymore. What little rattle I had there disappeared once I installed my Ignalls Rear Strut Bar. The rattle I have now is a creaking even over uneven surfaces...the moon-roof glass creaks as it flexes with the body. Wish there was something that could be done about it. the dealer has fixed it, but it eventually comes back after being flexed back and forth while driving a while. It sucks.

MountScion1 09-30-2006 10:45 PM

I have the ingalls strut bar installed too, and I actually think it makes it worse, but I love the strut itself so it stays. But yeah if I just had the doe to buy the kaminari replacement roof I'd take out all three glass pieces, cut off the black cross bar that the flaps roll into, and weld new 2" itch tubes in place, then put the cf roof on. Ive been emailing back and forth with rick from raammatt who did this mod and he said its the only real way to be rid of the squeeks, rattles and pops we all deal with......

MountScion1 12-13-2006 11:13 PM

Some one recently asked me if I had had any luck with my roof problem.

Just in case anyone in the future is interested, here is my response.

Yeah, in fact about a month ago it was a nice, fairly warm Saturday, I was driving back from getting breakfast with a friend and I had finally had it. As soon as I pulled into my drive way, I got the necessary tools and I pulled out the handle bars, the coat hooks, the sun shades, everything. Then I started in the back and slowly and carefully pulled down the head liner. I wasn't super concerned with creasing it- I was so freaking heated by that point, so keep that in mind, but if you use a little bit of tact you can bend it "just so" and take it down, be careful of the two dome lights.
Anyhow so I got it down in less than 5 minutes, I can't believe I didn't have the guts to do it before, its only held up by industrial velcro. Anyhow, so I got it down, and took some time to tap around and look up there. I felt like taking down that cross bar between the two roofs, so I went to my local dealer to get copies of the service manuel to do it. He gave them to me, but warn me that because its glass it has to stay fairly loose up there, tightening it too much and you risk doing serious damage. I figured if I can't "fix" the rattle, then maybe I can dampen it or something.
So I looked at the inside of the headliner and I saw some indentations along the plastic liner that is used to hold the velcro. I went into the garage and found the last few feet of my RAAMaudio deadener and cut it into several inch by two inch pieces. (I know I know, pictures would certainly help right now, but at the time this project was truely an impluse job.) So yeah, I covered just about every part of the interior part of the head liner with RAAMaudio. The trick was to leave enough clearence in areas around the velcro tabs-also be careful towards the front where the sunroof mechanism is. If you lay it on too thick the velcro tabs won't be able to connect when it goes back up. So yeah. I placed the headliner back up. I put everything back in place, and though there might be an occassional shadow of a rattle you really have to strain to hear it.

Also a big rattle I found and eliminated was the plastic trim piece on the top of the rear windshield. I took that off and thought about putting a towel or something in there(as suggested earlier in the thread). I decided against it and when I put that trim piece back on, I noticed there was a little bit of play; and that it made a loud sound when I lightly tapped on it. So what did I do? RAAMaudio deadener again. I put a 12 inch long and half an inch thick strip on the trip piece at the part where it rests on the glass then put it back on- absolutely silent.

So all in all I might have just saved myself about $1000-1500 from no longer having to buy the cf replacement roof and have it installed. Hope this helps anyone who is driven insane by the constant little noises. Good luck.

payton5 12-17-2006 03:32 AM

Awsome!

Tiro_Fijo 04-21-2007 05:32 PM

ttt

Spect2K3 05-18-2007 05:31 PM

Looking for an update here from the thread creator. Still without hatch rattles?

Burnt_RS_4 05-31-2007 02:58 AM

Sweet!

SePaTc 11-30-2007 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by PghtC
yeah, if my roof didn't creak and rattle, it would be a good car. now it is just annoying and embarrassing to drive people around in because they always ask about it...

omg XFRIGGIN2! thats exactly how i feel. its bad enough having to drive to work at 7:30 and just want some peace and quiet.... try having a 7 year old sitting back there, right under the rattle, constantly asking, "daddy, what is that noise?" "daddy, can u make that noise stop?" etc.. etc...

its ridiculous. I never expected scion to anticipate that this problem would occur, but once it does occur and is obviously a common defect.... man up to it. spend some time researching it and coming up with a fix....instead of just being totally focused on moving cars off the lot.

ams04b 01-19-2008 08:14 AM

Here was the problem. The rubber stoppers on the sides were not expending low enough so that the hatch would bounce and that would cause a rattle. Now I knwo this might not be the case for everyone, but for my hatch rattle it was. Some people have recommended taping some foam tape to these stoppers but that is only temporary, what you have to do is adjust the stoppers. Yup thats all you do! Unscrew them and set them lower. EASY and it worked for me.

I'll take some pictures and post. I feel great! and I love my TC even more now that it doesn't rattle!

could you post some picture about this stoppers? This hatch rattle is killing me...

thank you ^^

bmsciontc 10-01-2008 04:41 PM

thanks alot i just tryed this and i couldent hear a thing when driving on a bumpy road....only took about 10-15 minutes too

olinfc 03-05-2009 02:15 AM

I will try this, grat post!

Alex_C 04-05-2009 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by ams04b

Here was the problem. The rubber stoppers on the sides were not expending low enough so that the hatch would bounce and that would cause a rattle. Now I knwo this might not be the case for everyone, but for my hatch rattle it was. Some people have recommended taping some foam tape to these stoppers but that is only temporary, what you have to do is adjust the stoppers. Yup thats all you do! Unscrew them and set them lower. EASY and it worked for me.

could you post some picture about this stoppers? This hatch rattle is killing me...

thank you ^^

It's been a while since this was asked for, but I figured I'd chime in also. I tried unscrewing the stoppers and setting them lower, with no change in the rattle sound. So I opted for the foam tape option and so far so good - the annoying rattling in the back is finally silenced! Yay and holy crap. :clap: And since no one has produced pics of exactly how the stoppers look with the foam tape applied, I decided I'd add a few.

The type of foam tape - Weatherstripping tape from Advance Auto Parts (just like Auto Zone). The white side is the adhesive side, the black the rubber side - the tape itself is made of foam:
https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a5...s/100_9232.jpg

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a5...s/100_9233.jpg

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a5...s/IMG_0015.jpg

The left side of the hatch and its "rubber stopper". I simply placed the weatherstripping tape on the stopper so that it exists between the stopper and its catch on the body of the car. You can already see the indention in the tape of where it met the catch when the hatch was closed:
https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a5...s/IMG_0019.jpg

The right side of the hatch and its "rubber stopper". Same deal as the previous:
https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a5...s/IMG_0017.jpg

As I said before, so far so good - no more rattle. I know this fix won't help everyone, but hopefully the pics will help make the fix mentioned crystal clear for the next guy/gal. Cheers and good hunting!

Djicey702 04-07-2009 03:34 PM

Just in case any of you don't have the updated hatch supports.. those might be your problem!!

I recently installed the oem pedestal spoiler and installed the new beefier hatch supports it comes with. Well I started to hear that dang noise again (it was fix a year ago). Well after hours of checking things, I installed my previous hatch supports and..... no noise!!!

Sorry I don't have that part# at the moment but all of you should check that before you start ripping your hair out. lol

09TC5M 09-21-2009 06:29 AM

Good deal, I'll have to try this ASAP. My 09 tC is already starting to rattle in the hatch, Moon Roof, and lower dashboard areas. Hopefully this will fix one of the issues.

kileil 10-08-2009 06:34 PM

W00T! Found my rattle!

I had the rattle that sounded like a Snapple lid getting pushed constantly.

To find it, I had a friend ride in back and press on panels until the noise stopped.

Mine was these four little velcro tabs had come lose in front of the rear dome light. So i just popped down the dome light (no tools needed) and took off the adhesive side of the velcro near the rear sun roof.

No noise! Well, aside from occasional hatch rattle but thats lower in tone and not annoying.

Tony_tc07 02-22-2010 03:58 AM

Fixed mine.. it was the rubber stop on the hatch .. but just the left side.. both pieces didnt close all the way.. found some sort of rubber piece at home.. now no rattle.. i will post pics soon.

Tony_tc07 02-23-2010 05:58 PM

Picture posted.
I may have to trim that piece little bit.. at least it covers the gap between hatch and the body panel.
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...P/101_2568.jpg