Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   tC Tech and DIY (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/tc-tech-diy-1818/)
-   -   LED Swap (05-06 HVAC w/Circuit MOD) (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/tc-tech-diy-1818/led-swap-05-06-hvac-w-circuit-mod-32276/)

tekniq 08-21-2005 10:45 AM

engifineer: you sir, own all!

Great work on the fix for this, I bow down in reverence and humility to your skills :p

ScionDad 08-21-2005 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by killer4605
does anyone have any spare red, blue, or green LEDs? i need 2 (want to change the 2 LEDs on the AC and other button.) will pay $$ or trade 2 white LEDs

I have 2 blue LEDS - PM me and I will mail them to you.

engifineer 08-21-2005 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by ScionDad

does anyone have any spare red, blue, or green LEDs? i need 2 (want to change the 2 LEDs on the AC and other button.) will pay $$ or trade 2 white LEDs

Did you recieve the console back in one peice? Thought I would check, they were supposed to have it there no later than friday.

ScionDad 08-22-2005 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by engifineer

Did you recieve the console back in one peice? Thought I would check, they were supposed to have it there no later than friday.

I got it and installed it last night. :bow: That is just SICK. Wow, the blue just works perfect and punches out. Thanks again Engi - :clap:

z-lite 08-22-2005 03:28 PM

Shipping my console and gauges tonight for a white LED mod :D Although I'll be tC-less for a week :(

engifineer 08-22-2005 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by z-lite
Shipping my console and gauges tonight for a white LED mod :D Although I'll be tC-less for a week :(

Your LEDs should be at my house by tomorrow at the latest.. so we are all set!

engifineer 08-25-2005 01:51 PM

I came across something interesting during one of the console mods I performed the other night. When replacing the resistor in series with the clock LEDs, they ended up too dim. After doing some testing I figured out why. Due to tolerances in circuit components, the regulated voltage on that particular board was 7.90V as opposed to the 7.95V I have seen on other boards. This may seem in-significant, but the LEDs drop right at 2.643V each, adding to 7.93V. So simply replacing the resistor with a jumper allows for just enough voltage to power the LEDs and make them bright enough to illuminate the clock as long as the power supply is providing more than 7.93V. So, in the case of the one I mentioned the 7.90V causes major dimming issues. The LEDs barely light at all.

So, I added a quick fix, which is basically the same design as the other groups of 3 LEDs. I performed the following:

1) Cut the trace between the first LED and the second one.
2) Connect the Cathode of the first LED to the Cathode of the 3rd LED using a 680 Ohm resistor
3) Connect the anode of the second LED to the anode of the first LED using a 330Ohm resistor.

This actually came out a little brighter than needed, but looks great. I may raise the value of the resistors to around 800 and 430 to make them match the odo a little closer.

So if anyone comes across this issue when trying this mod, this is why. I reccomend doing it this way the first time to avoid repeated disassembly and assembly. I will post pics of the next one I do this way to make it easier to follow.

Fsu1dolfan 08-25-2005 02:40 PM

^^^^Anything on the HU.....just curious because i may have some time this weekend do to this damn tropical storm/hurricane...then again i might not if i lose power!!!
Thanks

engifineer 08-25-2005 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Fsu1dolfan
^^^^Anything on the HU.....just curious because i may have some time this weekend do to this damn tropical storm/hurricane...then again i might not if i lose power!!!
Thanks

Not yet. My girlfriend and her son moved in with me last weekend from OK. So we are unpacking, re-arranging, etc. Plus I have had one hell of a hard week at work and have done 2 gauge and console conversions with one left to go today.. so my week has been tiring to say the least :P But, I hope to get to it soon!

ScionDad 08-25-2005 03:13 PM

Thanks

Not yet. My girlfriend and her son moved in with me last weekend from OK. So we are unpacking, re-arranging, etc. Plus I have had one hell of a hard week at work and have done 2 gauge and console conversions with one left to go today.. so my week has been tiring to say the least :P But, I hope to get to it soon!

Congrats on the move in....I hope all goes well. :clap:

engifineer 08-25-2005 03:17 PM

Thanks

Congrats on the move in....I hope all goes well. :clap:

Thanks! It is great to have them living with me... so something shiny and a house are in the works next I guess :-P

Fsu1dolfan 08-25-2005 03:22 PM

Glad to hear.....No rush....try to relax some!!

007Gecko 08-29-2005 03:30 AM

From what I gather this only needs to be done if you are wanting to use White or Blue LED's? I want to change mine to Red and would like to skip all this if necessary.

engifineer 08-29-2005 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by 007Gecko
From what I gather this only needs to be done if you are wanting to use White or Blue LED's? I want to change mine to Red and would like to skip all this if necessary.

you should be ok with red.

KINGxOFxSKA 09-03-2005 03:17 AM

Sent my center console to engifineer to get the fix done. All I have to say is WOW! It is bright and sexy. THANK YOU! :D

http://www.socalpunkandska.com/images/newg2.jpg

http://www.socalpunkandska.com/images/newg1.jpg

KINGxOFxSKA 09-04-2005 03:16 AM

bbbump

engifineer 09-04-2005 03:55 AM

Glad you like! The white turned out nice with the head unit, nice choice of color :D Thanks for the kind words as well!

Fsu1dolfan 09-04-2005 08:52 PM

Just checking up on any news about the HU???

engifineer 09-05-2005 01:16 AM

Not as of yet... but still trying to get around to it. :P

johnnyTCblaze 09-06-2005 01:21 AM

Check this out. It looks like there is another way to fix the dim blue/white console problem. This was on clubsciontc. Heres thie link to the topic, its on pg 12: Courtesy of Viro! :bow: :bow:

http://clubsciontc.com/modules.php?n...=asc&start=165

Have you seen this engifineer? What are your thoughts on this and do you know where I can get these bridgable jumper cables?