Notices
Toyota News / Q+A Things you would like to see or know...

Toyota Debut is Cup Series

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Default Toyota Debut is Cup Series

Can someone find a good article about the new 2007 Toyota Camry that is going to participate in the NASCAR Cup Series... Thanks! and but that i mean, find it and make it news!

Of the three Toyota teams -- Bill Davis Racing, Michael Waltrip Racing and Team Red Bull -- it appears that BDR, the only team previously in existence, is the best prepared for launching the brand in NASCAR's top series. Davis' drivers are not yet considered NASCAR elite, but they are are in the best position to start the year with veteran driver Jeremy Mayfield and Dave Blaney having finished in the top 35 in the owner's points last year (which will lock Blaney into starting at least the first five races). Don't forget, owner's points, not driver's points determine who's guaranteed a starting spot. On the other hand, Waltrip's team has to be sweating a little because of NASCAR's decision to alter the past champion's provisional rule. Announced last week, the rule will no longer allow for unlimited provisional starts (like a free hall pass to start the race), but will limit drivers to use the provision only six times a year. That will gives Dale Jarrett a guaranteed start at Daytona, but will have him scrambling the rest of the year. Finally, Team Red Bull has struggled a bit with rookie A.J. Allmendinger jumping from open wheel to Cup, which makes Brian Vickers, over from Hendrick Motorsports, even more vital to the team's success.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

CORNELIUS, N.C - David Reutimann is prepared to run the entire NASCAR Busch Series schedule for the first time in his career behind the wheel of the No. 99 Aaron's Dream Machine Toyota Camry during Toyota's inaugural year. After competing in the Series for five years on a limited basis, Reutimann is poised to campaign for the championship title with Michael Waltrip Racing under the direction of Crew Chief Jerry Baxter.

"We can come out of the gate strong and win races," Reutimann said. "We have Toyota's support and the team is in tact from last season. Jerry and I were able to work together several times last year and have a good relationship. He's the right guy for the job there's no doubt about it. Our team is capable of making a serious run for the championship."

Last season, Reutimann showed progress each race and finished in the top-10 four times in 12 starts while sharing driving responsibilities with Waltrip in the 99 entry. Due to Reutimann's progression and relentless pitches to drive the Aaron's Dream Machine solely, Waltrip agreed to step out of the car to focus on his ownership of Michael Waltrip Racing and his duties as driver of the No. 55 NAPA AUTO PARTS Toyota Camry. Thanks in part to Waltrip and Aaron's President Ken Butler, Reutimann will now have his first chance to be a championship contender in the NASCAR Busch Series.

"During the course of Michael filming commercials, I asked him when I was going to have my turn driving the Aaron's Dream Machine," Reutimann said. "I was able to test the car a few times thereafter, which fortunately led to me racing the car."

Reutimann's road to the NASCAR Busch Series has been a winding one. In 2002, the Zephyrhills, Fla., native had one motor, one car and one shot at making a lasting impression. Reutimann debuted that car at Richmond International Raceway as a NEMCO Motorsports entry and he did not disappoint.

"Joe Nemechek gave me my first shot and I owe him a lot," Reutimann said, who finished 16th in his debut with NEMCO Motorsports. "Joe's crew chief at the time was Brian Pattie, who was a childhood friend of mine. We raced together growing up. He was instrumental in making the deal happen. Also, a family friend (Buddy Smith) helped me buy a car for my first race. Those guys took a chance on me when nobody else would. I'll never forget that."

In October 2003, Reutimann earned his first career NASCAR Busch Series pole award by qualifying a car for NEMCO Motorsports and Greg Biffle at Memphis Motorsports Park. Reutimann was uncertain of his future at the time, but a call from Darrell Waltrip a few days later changed his life. Reutimann took a detour from the NASCAR Busch Series to drive for Darrell Waltrip Motorsports in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series finishing as high as third in the championship points standings last season with Jason Overstreet as his crew chief.

"I'll never forget driving through the Daytona International Speedway tunnel for my first NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series race," Reutimann said. "I can remember a time when I didn't have a pass to get into the pits and that wasn't long ago. We would have to sit in the grandstands if we wanted to watch a race. My first race there with my truck team was pretty special."

Success with Waltrip's NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series team opened a door wide open for Reutimann at Michael Waltrip Racing. Entering his fourth season, Reutimann reenters Daytona International Speedway's tunnel this time as both a full-time NASCAR Busch Series driver and a NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series competitor. Reutimann's lifelong dreams that his family has strived for over the years have finally come true.

"I never thought something like this could happen to a guy like me," Reutimann said. "If it can happen for me, it can happen for anyone."

http://www.toyota.com/pitpass/html/a...tion=0&event=0