Notices
Toyota News / Q+A Things you would like to see or know...

Toyota quality slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Toyota quality slipping?

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...a_quality.html

Is Toyota's Quality Slipping?
Surveys, Consumer Complaints Suggest It May Be

By Joe Benton
ConsumerAffairs.Com

October 11, 2006
Toyota

Is Toyota's quality slipping? The company lost ground in an annual vehicle value survey. While many consumers still give the Japanese automaker high marks, some analysts are suggesting the auto giant is growing too fast in its pursuit of General Motors.

San Diego-based Strategic Vision surveyed more than 64,000 people who purchased new vehicles from October 2005 to March 2006. Consumers were surveyed after 90 days of ownership and asked if they thought they got their money�s worth.

Toyota, which had seven segment winners in 2005, took only three categories in the new study and has been moving slower than other brands when it comes to innovation, according to an auto industry analyst.

As Toyota executives struggle with their corporate image, Jennifer in Bardstown Kentucky is struggling with the foul smell pouring out of her new Toyota.

"We purchased a 2006 Toyota Avalon, we noticed when we drove it that there was a rotten egg smell to it when you accelerated or went up hills," she wrote ConsumerAffairs.Com.

"This was first dismissed by the dealership as a new car smell. However about 3 weeks later we could not start the car on the first try. This does not occur all the time but does occur at least once a week. It will also cause the motor to shake violently before it starts. Every time I have taken it in to the dealership I have been told it cannot be fixed because they cannot duplicate the problem." Jennifer said.

So Jennifer and her husband took matters in their on hands in a effort to fight back, much to the dismay and anger of their Toyota dealer.

"We went in there today to get some rattling corrected in the window and had (written) on the back window about the car being a lemon. This upset them and the service manager told us to remove it or he would call the police."

During the period of the Strategic Vision value survey, Toyota car and truck buyers complained to ConsumerAffairs.Com of oil leaks, poor workmanship,design, strange odors and gasoline mileage as the automaker dealt with a surge in recalls attributed to cost-cutting efforts that use the same parts on more models.

Calisandria in San Leandro told us, "I was sold a car that has an oil leak which the service department cannot find."

"I bought this car, and by the time I got home smoke was coming out from under the hood. I parked the car where there are no oil spots on the ground. The next morning I go to check to see if there are any oil spots. There are about 4 spots on the ground," she wrote.

The recent surge in recalls at Toyota peaked in July when the automaker recalled about 400,000 SUVs in the U.S., its single biggest market. The spate of recalls has led some analysts to suggest a decline may well be under way at Toyota.

"Toyota has become the recall king, something the company never had to wrestle with in the past as it won most of the JD Powers and other car quality surveys," wrote Wall Street analyst Douglas A. McIntyre. But, as the company's market share has ballooned in the U.S., Toyota had to ramp up production for North America and quality seems to have suffered," he wrote.

Other industry analysts warn that Toyota may be becoming complacent as the company attempts to overtake General Motors as the world's largest car company. They cite the Strategic Vision survey as new evidence that growth may be undermining quality at Toyota.

Perception Is Reality
A ConsumerAffairs.Com reader in Portland, Oregon, agrees with that assessment of the Japanese automaker.

"Perception is reality in auto industry and with such perception I bought Camry but the reality is it is a lemon." she wrote.

From Sacramento, Donna complained about the fit and finish of her new Toyota. "My 2006 Corolla has irregular paint drips along an inch strip between 5 and 7 inches up on car doors. I asked a record be made of the paint irregularities in case this leads to any early paint deterioration."

"I had noted other cars (at the dealership) had varying degrees of the drip strip immediately below the dip in the door. I received the ridiculous explanation from the service manager that this was 'orange peel & they can't help that the customer doesn't like where the manufacturer put it.'"

Art in Florida is fed up with his 2006 Toyota Tundra truck.

"I have never paid so much for a truck and got so little. From the 20-inch tires to the seats that have been lowered so nothing can be stored under them. I hate this truck."

Finally, Deborah in Louisville is finding her new Prius to be a big-time disappointment.

"I feel there was false advertising by Toyota in stating there was 50 miles per gallon on the highway and 60 miles per hour in the city driving my Toyota Prius hybrid. They jacked up the price $8,000 from sticker stating it was a car hard to come buy and that was their price and I would actually save money on gas."

Not so, says Deborah.

"After six months of tracking, the best mileage I ever got was 43 miles per gallon. Most often my mileage is between 30-36 miles per gallon which is no better than cars I have had in the past."
Old 11-13-2007, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OMG! Want to talk about a major issue as to why I quit sales? One Saturday I took a gentleman on a test drive in a Blizzard Peal 08 Limited Avalon... about $42,000... well. He LOVED it, wanted to take it to home to show his wife. We pull up, I give his wife a walk around in their car port. She says "Well honey. Its a lot of money. Its up to you." So the husband wants to drive... we get to the stop sign at the corner of the street and all the sudden the car HOPS and stalls out. We turned it off then back on. All the lights light up on the dash, but it runs... so we drive 4 miles back to the dealership. The man tells me that he has to think about it... needless to say... I gave it to a service advisor and after 10 min of evaluation it turns out that the transmission blew. YEA... 321 miles on it. The service advisor told me he'd go park it out back next to the gray Avalon that's computer has blown 3 times and didn't even have 100 miles on it. In 2 years I've personally experienced 3 Avalons with blown transmissions, less than 3000 miles.... yea. I'm afraid quality is slipping.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LMAO! The car breaking down during the test drive, how embarrassing!
Old 11-13-2007, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it's a year old, I don't hink it's news-worthy anymore
Old 11-13-2007, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

NO KIDDING! What do you say at that point? I laughed it off and said "Wow... that's never happened before! I've never heard of an Avalon doing anything like that before!" I couldn't keep lying to people... shortly after that experience everytime someone would start to ask me about an Avalon I would make excusses to pass them off to another salesman. That scared the dodo out of me.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The tC being recalled twice was frustrating. The sunroof thing, we sort of expected and weren't surprised. But the random deploying of airbags?

The fit and finish of these new toyotas are suspect too. The wife and I were sitting in a 2007 camry hybrid, at the dealership, and I can't understand for the life of me why everything looks and feels cheaper than my parents' 97 landcruiser.

My wife has been thinking very hard about a prius, but after poking around in the consumer reports forums, I'm trying to steer her towards *gasp* a Honda...
Old 11-13-2007, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes, the article is a year old... but its relevent. what I experienced happened less than 3 months ago, with an 08...
Old 11-13-2007, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

NO! STAY AWAY FROM HONDA! For really! Check out the number of class action law suits they have had lately! I can't remember all of the specifics, but they had a recall on something that was just randomly cutting cars off and stalling them... they had one because their odometor reading were wrong. They had another because of product misrepresentation and on top of that... anyone I know that has a 2001 or higher Honda has been having issues from the get go. Honda has been falling for a bit longer than Toyota has.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Screw it, all car makers suck. It comes down to picking your poison...
Old 11-14-2007, 01:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by shoultesy
NO! STAY AWAY FROM HONDA! For really!
Funny you should mention that... as mentioned before, my parents have a 97 land cruiser, but after 25 years of buying toyotas they switched completely to Honda... three Honda Odysseys, Pilot and Element. Two friends have Civics (2006). Another friend has a CR-V. Uncle has another Odyssey. No one has had any problems with any of the vehicles... all of them 2002+.

In fact, now that I have a child, I'm kicking myself for buying the xB instead of one of the parents' Odysseys. Oh well, live and learn.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ah... minivans are just mobile entertainment systems...