Notices
Website Discussion Problem? Let us know about it here...
View Poll Results: how old are you?
under 16.
1.71%
16-18
10.82%
19-24
38.71%
25-32
30.17%
33-39
8.54%
40+
10.06%
Voters: 527. You may not vote on this poll

how old are you?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default how old are you?

just wondering how many of you people are in scion's target "generation y" age group. time to vote...
Old 06-03-2003, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member

what is it with this Demographic?
When i went to Anderson Honda to check out the Element back in October 2002, the sales rep said that i was the first person in the intended Demo to be interested in the vehicle. Yet according to Honda the intended crowd is 25 and under. That puts me at the far end.
But from what i see in this poll the largest percentage are 25-32.
So what i want to know is...
WHERE THE HECK ARE ALL THE GEN-Y'ERS!?!?

Toyota is winning over a younger crowd. Yes, we could very well be the children of people who own Camrys (factually i am), but my younger sibs who are smack-dab in the middle of Gen Y have no interest in it.

Please people... tell me there are some out there, 16, 17... 20.. who want a Scion
Old 06-03-2003, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

because we (the 25-32 age group) have money! haha. so we will be early adopters of the scions. i'm sure once they become sought after, the younger kids are going to want scions too, if they don't already. what would you rather buy with $15k, a scion or a civic?

ok, most people would say civic, but still..the scion is more original. and toyota already has a great reputation for quality, so they should sell themselves. i think scion is getting a little too "hip hop" with its marketing, but if that's what sells cars, cool. hey, i even listen to some hip hop, but when i first saw the scion magazine/catalog, i honestly thought i didn't belong in a scion because i'm not black. obviously that's retarded and i know better now, but it's funny how marketing works and how it can lure in certain potential customers, and scare away others.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I gotta tell you guys about the folks I see coming in to check out the Scions. Most of the initial interest right now is from younger folks (under 35) because they are online and find out about the Scion on the net. So, most of the people who are interested in the Scions now are enthusiasts, and thus, most want sticks! Too bad Toyota decided to send out only automatic demo vehicles to all norcal dealerships. Now, the older folks (over 35...and I've talked to a guy who was almost 70!) aren't here for the Scion per se. They usually came in to check out the Corollas, or RAV4s, etc. but end up gravitating towards the Scions once they see them and note how practical they are.

Also, since most interest right now is from enthusiasts, there is more demand for the xB, because it is very different. A standout. But I can foresee xA sales and demand surpassing the xB's once the cars are officially released, and more of the older generation start picking the xAs up because they want a very affordable, well-equipped car that gets great mileage.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:21 AM
5 Year Member

Default Average age of Element buyer is 47!

Hey all,
Just thought you'd be interested in that tidbit. No, I can't remember where I saw it but it's not too surprising. It's a bit of a midlife crisis car in one sense too. It's also not that cheap. It's a "Mummy and Daddy bought it for me for graduation type of car," methinks, where the Scions are more like an "I can actually afford this thing if I don't go crazy with the accessories" thing for a Gen Y-er.
Then again, I'm an old fogy at 29. eh, what was that Sonny?

jb
Old 06-04-2003, 02:22 AM
5 Year Member

Default let me know if my monkey logo creeps you out

i know it's weird but there's just something about monkey . . .
Old 06-04-2003, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member

Default Yes, a little freaky

Monkey looks to be attempting some sort of mind-control, so it seems to fit your moniker, but yes it's a little freaky.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

right now i am 22, but i will be 23 in august. when i went to test drive the scions there were 4 couples looking at the scions and they look like they were 35 and up. although toyota is gearing these towards the younger generations i think there will be mix of ages buying these.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok here's a C&P from the scionworld mailing list:

Subject: Oldest (and coolest!) Scion customers?

Woah... this experience is too strange not to share. Just talked to
a pair of Vietnamese couples that came here from Texas. They've got
to be in their mid- to late-70s, and although that *may* not seem
strange to some people (even though they are nowhere near the Scion
Gen-Y target), the really peculiar part is they WANTED 18" 5Zigen
FNO1R-C wheels in bronze! And I mean they REALLY wanted them! They
even said 17s were too small, and they wanted me to outfit an xB for
them exactly like our demo car!! Weeeiiird.
>cue Twilight Zone theme song<

- Van
Old 07-02-2003, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wonder if it could of been for their kid and that is what he wanted. that is funny if it is going to be for them.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh that's the BEST part! It was for them!!! They even knew about different tire sizes! They were checking out the 17s on our demo xA and were talking about how it was too small for their tastes. I just stood there in amazement! I especially loved it when they were talking about cruising around TX in the xB to the grocery store and go shopping. I just really didn't even know how to react! Made my day, for sure! >HAHA<
Old 07-02-2003, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I'm 20 years old...first car was an automatic integra from my parents, second was a stick civic hatchback that I drove for awhile, hopped up and everything..and now, I am officially paying for this xB for myself! It makes me feel really good, especially when people say, "ew thats whack" I tell them, "It's ok, at least my mommy and daddy aren't ____ing out cash to buy me an IS300/A4 like you make your parents".

I take pride in being of a younger crowd, that appreciates practicality and price point at such a young age. Hopefully, toyota can continue to reach it's target market audience....they did with me!
Old 07-10-2003, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yay i can finally actually talk in some forums! i registered to a lot of forums but never could talk because i never had the car. wellp today i got my xB! haha. im 17 and i put the downpayment and will be paying for the insurance. thats all. yay! so happy! :D
Old 07-10-2003, 05:44 AM
5 Year Member

I'm 18 and agree. I was happy that I could pay for this thing myself. It brings a lot of pride when you can do this instead of being spolied with those luxury cars that are purchased on lease. Toyota is definitely reaching their target audience in some way, and their marketing strategies are far better than that for the Element, which I was actually considering buying. But, when I saw the scion xb in thundecloud metallic and auto, I said I had to have this one!

-Aram

Happy Driving!

Originally Posted by aznr1c3bo1
yay i can finally actually talk in some forums! i registered to a lot of forums but never could talk because i never had the car. wellp today i got my xB! haha. im 17 and i put the downpayment and will be paying for the insurance. thats all. yay! so happy! :D
Old 07-28-2003, 08:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm 24 and i feel old in one respect but at my job i am one of the youngest there, 24 is a strange age...
Old 07-28-2003, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I find the age ranges selected for the survey interesting in that they only go up to 40. There's half a lifetime after 40! :)

The target demographics of a vehicle are an interesting study. Old folks will buy a "young" vehicle, but young folks won't buy an old fogey's car.

When you get down to it, the xB is a basic, practical car. It's more akin to the VW bus than to any performance car. It just about screams "mommymobile" The accessories offered are all hang-on geegaws without significant functionality.

The xB could just as easily have been marketed to the middle or upper age groups, as there is nothing inherently "young" about the car. Toyota is a bit worries about their advancing demographics, so they made a symbolic "break" with the Scion brand to try and convince youngsters that they weren't buying a "boring old Toyota".

The Scion brochures are the only thing that make this a "youth" car. They're just about incomprehensable to anyone over 40. I've a feeling that Toyota saw Honda's failure to crack the genY market with their indifferent Eement marketing and decided to go "hard core" with the Scion. I also thing that they will probably come out with a more conventional brochure for the Olde Folkes pretty soon. The salesmen were almost apologetic when giving me the current brochures! :)

George
Old 07-28-2003, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
N.G.S.O.

im 17 coming for a 93 325i bmw that i payed for for my first car and i will be paying for my scion to. i cant want to get a scion my brother was going to get a element then i showed him the scion and he order one from C.A. he willl be the first scion owner in G.A. i think he is geting it tomorrow or the day after and he is 28 year old comeing from a 2001 limited Chevrolet Avalhttp://www.driverloans.com/app/driver720a?x=trmp:pop01anche
Old 08-27-2003, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

bump for the OG thread from MAY 2003. :)
Old 11-27-2003, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by eric m.
bump for the OG thread from MAY 2003.
Old 11-30-2003, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default How old are you

I am 43 and 6' 4" tall and this car is practical and fun. After all age aint nuthin but a number