Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   xB Tech and DIY (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/xb-tech-diy-1817/)
-   -   Bumper Applique Installation (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/xb-tech-diy-1817/bumper-applique-installation-9271/)

mikochu 08-25-2004 01:20 PM

Bumper Applique Installation

CREDITS: This article was written by a dedicated Scion Life member by the name of XBman :D

Supplies:

1. 4 Rulers (optional)
2. Rear Applique sticker
3. Rubbing alcohol
4. Tape (optional)

First thing to do is to lay the bumper applique ontop of the area that you are going to put the applique. Make sure you clean the desired area well before you apply the Applique (use some rubbing alcohol). Using a guide (used a ruler taped to the bumper or somthing like that), place the applique where you want it to go. Make sure you do not put it too far left or right. I used 4 rulers taped to the bumper to show where I wanted it to go. The one i got didnt come with instructions. I am very happy with my install and it has given me 15,000 trouble free miles.

mikochu: Instead of using rulers, you can use masking tape as guides for applying the applique. Do not rub the masking tape onto the bumper, just put light pressure to keep it sticking to the bumper as you apply the applique. Otherwise, it might be harder to take off the tape... or you can use a wax pencil (thanks javastan).

javastan 09-08-2004 02:09 PM

You can also use a wax pencil to mark instead of tape, they can be picked up at any auto parts store and will wipe off the paint easily without leaving a mark.

XBman 09-09-2004 12:10 AM

Hey Man Thats my work! :)I worte it

XBman 09-09-2004 12:10 AM

Hey Man Thats my work! :)I wrote it! well the top one anyway

pballplayer18 07-17-2005 10:59 PM

cool

OakToddler 05-28-2006 03:09 AM

The applique has a little V shaped cut right in the dead center.
Line it up with the hatch hook that the door locks onto.

That is the center and it worked better for me to get the visual center.

Also, mist the bumper with warm water so you can move the applique a little to make it look just right.

I just held it outstretched with both hands and lined up the center and it looked great on first try.

Its gotta be a warm day, though.

I got it for 30 bucks on ebay too.

lovebbmm 06-01-2006 07:58 PM

Thanks for the instruction. I'm actually also thinking about if I should get that rear bumper applique or not. Cuz I don't know how useful it'll be, for me. I don't carry large stuff in the back often, and I don't have pets that can ride with me. So how easy is the top surface of the rear bumper to get scratched? How expensive and difficult for me to do paint touch-up by myself?

BTW, I found there are two types of bumper applique out on the market and don't know which one is better.

1) http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...6&parts_id=678
Seems like an OEM one. Although I'm not sure it'll look good on my SRP xa.

2)http://scionpartspeople.com/SearchPr...umper+Applique
This one is transparent. So may look better than the black rubber one. But does that compromise its protection function?

I also don't know if over the time, this applique may get dirty on the edge and peal off. That may look worse than I don't have it in the first place at all, right?

Quite a few questions. Thank you!

OakToddler 06-06-2006 08:08 PM

I just like it. But I am sure it will help with scratches and what not.

I don't think the OEM applique will come off if properly installed. Real warm day.

I always thought they looked nice and for 30 bucks it was worth it.

Dealer wanted to install it for 100 bucks and charges 50 bucks for the applique.

I got the carbon fiber fuel lid cover for only 18 bucks and it looks smooth- no bumps.
It has no purpose but what the heck.

konsumer 06-07-2006 08:42 PM

I want one cause I got a gash I need to cover, crap fell out of the back when I opened the hatch

dz302 08-22-2007 07:36 PM

I'm either brave, or stupid. I did mine using the ole eyeball method. Fortunately it came out great. Like the dude said, I used the little notch to center it.

fuzzymica 04-22-2009 01:32 AM

install

I think I might try this.

motodad870 12-26-2011 08:09 PM

Rear Bumper Applique

I believe the applique is pretty thin material. I used one from a 1998 Toyota Sequioa (not sure of spelling) Installs same way and is way thicker than applique and easier to install, not as flexable as other. I have a 06' XB. I will post a picture when I get the chance.

uvlight 02-16-2012 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by mikochu (Post 115750)
CREDITS: This article was written by a dedicated Scion Life member by the name of XBman :D

Supplies:

1. 4 Rulers (optional)
2. Rear Applique sticker
3. Rubbing alcohol
4. Tape (optional)

First thing to do is to lay the bumper applique ontop of the area that you are going to put the applique. Make sure you clean the desired area well before you apply the Applique (use some rubbing alcohol). Using a guide (used a ruler taped to the bumper or somthing like that), place the applique where you want it to go. Make sure you do not put it too far left or right. I used 4 rulers taped to the bumper to show where I wanted it to go. The one i got didnt come with instructions. I am very happy with my install and it has given me 15,000 trouble free miles.

mikochu: Instead of using rulers, you can use masking tape as guides for applying the applique. Do not rub the masking tape onto the bumper, just put light pressure to keep it sticking to the bumper as you apply the applique. Otherwise, it might be harder to take off the tape... or you can use a wax pencil (thanks javastan).

I been looking for this, The Tip looks good and easy. I haven't tried this before but going to try it after reading your post.

Thanks mate

az155960 05-03-2012 01:52 AM

Woot- think I want to install mine this weekend!
I have had it for a couple yrs now and have never put it on!

:confused:

pierats 05-23-2014 08:45 PM

Any pictures?