Notices
xD Tech and DIY Info for the Scion xD

Cabin Air Filter Install (Video)

Old 01-10-2010, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Cabin Air Filter Install (Video)

I installed a cabin air filter in my xD the day I brought it home from the dealership. 13 months later, I just changed it and decided to make a how-to video for those who might be a little intimidated by car stuff. It is really easy... and you'll be amazed at how filthy the filter was after a year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bupAOtsVmsA
Old 01-10-2010, 02:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Thanks for posting this up.

I had an idea of how to do this.

But now i'm 100% sure its super easy, lol.

=)
Old 01-11-2010, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Excellent job! First class. I was wondering....is there a filter "tray" in our xD's like in the following thread?

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/xb-tech-diy-1817/air-filter-cabin-filter-fabrication-7539/

I was considering doing the DIY with a WEB Absorber filter from home depot (see post #14) I noticed that you only pulled out the filter, and then put a new one in. I didn't see any tray so that's why I'm asking.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by asurjc
Excellent job! First class. I was wondering....is there a filter "tray" in our xD's like in the following thread?
Nope, no tray. It wouldn't work that way in the xD, because the tray wouldn't be able to pull straight out... there's stuff in the way. When you take a look at it, you'll notice that there is an angled part to allow you to get the filter in there... but there is very little room to spare.

My old VW Golf had a tray, too... but the xD does not. It just slides in.

I know you can make a filter from a home HVAC filter... but at $16/year for the correct one (from TRD Sparks), it doesn't seem like it is worth the effort.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks. I was afraid of that. I wish you would've posted this about a week ago right before I picked up the WEB filter at home depot, and of course promptly tossed the receipt. What really sucks is that I just ordered a swaybar, shift ****, blu-logic, and trd quick shifter from trd sparks and could've slapped the filter on the pile too and saved on shipping. Maybe I'll get a pack of oil filters too. I'll need those soon enough anyway. Amex is loving me I'm sure......

Last edited by asurjc; 01-11-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ewwwww you waited a YEAR to replace your filter? Ewww! I change mine whenever I notice I have more dust on my dash (~6 months), like right now. $16 is a bit high when I can buy a large filter from Home Depot or Lowe's where I can get 3, maybe 4, out of a $25 filter.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ChelsDS
Ewwwww you waited a YEAR to replace your filter? Ewww! I change mine whenever I notice I have more dust on my dash (~6 months), like right now. $16 is a bit high when I can buy a large filter from Home Depot or Lowe's where I can get 3, maybe 4, out of a $25 filter.
What kind of filter do you buy? The fact that it's $10 shipping from sparks kills me, otherwise I wouldn't think twice about it.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The fact that it's $10 shipping from sparks kills me, otherwise I wouldn't think twice about it.
uskrewed, when I make a purchase from Sparks, I just get everything I'll need for the next few months. I picked up an air filter (engine) as well as some wiper blades this time. I don't need them yet, but I will before too long. I bought a 10-pack of oil filters from them when I was doing my first oil change, so I won't need them for a while.

You'll notice that the shipping doesn't go up much as you add items to your shopping cart. It's not like it is $10 for each item. Alternately, you could take the part number in to your local dealership and order one.

Ewwwww you waited a YEAR to replace your filter? Ewww!
lol! Well, that was about right for my VW Golf... but the xD seems to fill up a bit faster.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

hmm... I havent changed my filter in almost 2 and a half years... I should do that now... *steps away from PC*
Old 01-12-2010, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

*returns after install*

Yea, my filter was really dirty too.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ewwwwww you too Ted? Ewwww!!

uskrewed: Honestly I don't remember. I got the kind with wire on one of the sides and then cardboard strips on the other. Removed the cardboard pieces so it was only the wire is left with cardboard on the side only. Think I just picked a random filter that looked like it would do the job lol.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Ummm, I never installed one in the first place...After looking at how filthy that filter was I can't believe I have been driving around for over 1.5 years without one...Oops I guess I should do this soon...
Old 01-18-2011, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member

Great DIY. I used to make DIYs when I had my Yaris. These are always helpful for owners