Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Stereo removal and taking apart the xB2 pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 05:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Stereo removal and taking apart the xB2 pics

I decided to take apart the xB to see what I had to work with for my stereo project.

First, removing the stereo is pretty easy. You can start by carefully prying on the passenger side of the stereo bezel with a flathead. Then just pull the bezel out horizontally. You should be left with this:

See that little trim piece at the bottom, that just comes off by pulling it straight out giving you access to the 2 10mm bolts at the bottom of the stereo.

Remove the 4 10mm bolts and you can pull the stereo out. This is what it looks like with all the harnesses connected to the back.

One of the plugs goes straight to the Sirius box. I imagine one of the plugs goes to the aux/Ipod input. Perhaps one for the steering wheel control and a couple more for power and speaker.

I found my Sirius box above the passenger side kick panel.

You can pry up the trim around the shifter to see what's underneath. You want to start by pulling the bottom edge up.

The blank on the trim can be used for anything

This is the sticker on top of the radio

The cupholder and top portion of the center console assembly just pull right up and off, no tools needed.

Remove the felt cover in the center console storage and you can find 2 more 10mm bolts. If you remove these and remove the bolt in the front, plus the 2 plastic rivets on the side, you can pull the center console up and out. But you have to contend with the aux and ipod connector harnesses. They are a bit tricky to figure out how to disconnect but everyone will find a way.

Plastic rivets on both sides

Ipod and aux connectors

The section below the shifter is fairly easy to remove. There are 4 screws under the shifter bezel and then you just pull it out horizontally. Putting it back in is a bit more difficult. Just make sure you get the 2 slots at the bottom slide into place before you push it back in.

More pics can be found here: http://www.pldlawyers.com/bp/scion/xb2/disassemble/
Old 05-21-2007, 05:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice pics. One thing zi was wondering is if the ipod cable could plug directly into the back of the head unit. I will check that this week then I take mine out.

I was thinking of taking my oem ipod connector and putting it in the center console. Doesn't look like it would be that hard,
I am just not great at cutting plastic and making it look right
Old 05-21-2007, 06:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XBFred
nice pics. One thing zi was wondering is if the ipod cable could plug directly into the back of the head unit. I will check that this week then I take mine out.
Look at this picture below and see if one of the plugs looks like the Ipod connector cable. I'm not sure myself.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

possibly the small one on the left that is next to the bigger one. It would be nice if it is a simple plug in and then I could just move my ipod to the glove compartment
Old 05-21-2007, 06:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wish they put the ipod connection in a better spot too, with the big cable they have it's seems like it's going to be in the way.

the center console box is so ding dang small if they would have just flipped the mounting spot and put it inside it would have looked cleaner IMHO.

I'm thinking...what if you dropped the connecter in the center console down, permanantly attached the OEM adaperter under the console housing and just route the ipod dock connnector into the interior of your center console.

Too bad both ends are so big, the hole wlll need to be as big as well. You could notch a hole in the side of that bump out inside.

I'm thinking that might be a clean way to hid all the cables and keep you ipod out of site.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a question...

With my old xB I installed a hidden cigarette lighter outlet inside of the dash so I could power my gps.

The way you've disassembled the console like this did you fully remove the cigarette lighter? or was it still inside of the car?

I'm going to try to do the same thing I did before where I ran the power cable under the dash... unfortunately my trick with putting the power cable though the dash speaker grill won't work this time...

Anyways, thanks for taking so many pictures its really going to help me.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmmm....

This picture kind of makes it look like it was removed.
http://www.pldlawyers.com/bp/scion/x.../page.htm?11,0
I'll have to investigate further.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The power outlet/cigarette adapter was unplugged from that main center trim piece under the shifter. You just pull out that center section and unplug it from behind. The plug is attached to the trim piece.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I figured it out and added the covert power outlet.

Thanks again.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Malibu_Rapper
Originally Posted by XBFred
Look at this picture below and see if one of the plugs looks like the Ipod connector cable. I'm not sure myself.

which plug is for the speakers ?
i kept my scion bass canon from my 04 xb and was wondering if i could hook it up to this stereo. i still have the wire harness for the bass canon.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

IIRC it is the one to the far right..... you can check the sticky that has wiring color codes to the pics and that should tell you... sorry it is 3am and I am too lazy to do it for you
Old 07-08-2007, 06:34 PM
SL Member

thanks for the pics, buthow do you get the fourth air vent out?? i am doing leds and i cant get the passenger right airvent out
Old 07-08-2007, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

hmm interesting
Old 07-08-2007, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

will this stereo use the same after market mounting bracket that the 06 did for a single din
Old 07-07-2008, 02:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

I knew this had to be here somewhere. Glad it is just as simple as the tC.