Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Scion xA/xB Rear Disc Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Scion xA/xB Rear Disc Conversion

OK folks, here it goes.....Pick-n-Pull 1/2 price today, so that means I'm that much closer to 4 wheel disks on my xB. YEA!!!!! :D I got the disks and the calipers and wheel studs. I wont say what its off of yet just in case it doesnt work, but as soon as I'm done I'll let everybody know what I did and how. I think this will work pretty good, and should look pretty good. What a tease huh? I'm gonna try to work on them this week, I'll keep ya posted and I'll be taking lots of pics. See Ya, Louie,

ADDED 6/1/04 BY ADMIN:
This is some photos a the rear disk brake conversion I did on my Scion xB. I used the calipers and rotors off the rear of a Toyota Corolla GT-S (aka. EA86 Trueno....I think). The swap was a lot harder than I thought it would be, as most every part had to be modified in some fashion. I made my own caliper brackets and mounted them between the rear swing arm and the wheel hub. This gave me a bonus 3/8" spacer to move the rear wheels outboard. These calipers have the e-brake built into them, but I havent hooked that up yet, as the cable ends differ from the xB to the GT-S. I hope to have that problem rectified soon. Other than that the brakes work great, and look really kool, (very stock looking). The best part about this was I hit a local Pick-n-Pull half price day, and the swap cost me about 40 bucks. Thanks for surfing in...Slopoke21m

Old 10-21-2003, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well kinda messed with them tonight.......oh thought this was the g-string thread :? jk
Acctually was kinda sizin stuff up earlier, I dont think its gonna be quite the direct bolt on affair I had hoped, but I think its still doable. And a byproduct of this swap may be the rear wheels may end up pushed out about 3/8 of an inch without the use of spacers....woo hoo! I think the toughest part is probably gonna end up the damn E-brake cable, oh well. Welp I'll keep ya posted. See Ya, Louie

P.S. So far I've got bout 30 bucks invested....
Old 10-26-2003, 07:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

:D well, so far so good, got the brakes on and working, and took a 4 hour road trip.
no probs. the conversion was more complicated than i had hoped, and i still have the e-brake to hook up. it looks really kool and factory. i'm putting together a parts list and a description of what i did, so keep an eye on this thread. here is a link to one pic so far...more to come.http://hometown.aol.com/slopoke21m/xbbrakes.html

See Ya, Louie
Old 10-26-2003, 04:51 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

nice job louie!

well, guess I'll need two sets of parts now!

let me know when you get all of the parts/numbers figured out.

squirrel
Old 10-27-2003, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well done. I cant wait to here what car you used to pull parts from. Thats awsome.

What size is the rear rotor? Is it vented or solid
Old 10-27-2003, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well here is some info:
*the donor car: 1988 toyota corolla gt-s
*the parts taken from car: rear rotors (10" solid), rear calipers, (and shouldve gotten the dust shields but didnt)
*used xB stock rear hubs but had to trim the spokes around the studs so it will slip into the rotor
*had to trim the center hole on the rotors to fit over the xB hub
*had to trim the mounting boss on the calipers so it would mount to the new mount
*had to fabricate new mounts for the caliper. they use the 4 mounting holes for the stock hub, (my mount was made out of 3/8" plate, a little thick, but the mount is placed between the swing arm and the hub so...... my rear wheels are now space out that much now...yea) also those 4 mounting bolts need to be 3/8" longer than stock
*stock studs were the same length as the gt-s so didnt change them
*still havent hooked up the e-brake cable, i think thats gonna be the challenge
:? this ended up a lot more complicated than i figured. not exactly what i would call a bolt on swap. I'm not really recommending doing rear disks this way, because of all the cutting and trimming. But maybe someone out there can take this and come up with a better way. I dont know, maybe this will be the easiest and cheapest way to do this, if it is I will help the best I can. I am pretty happy with the end result though, it matches the front pretty good, and when i get the e-brake done that will be a nice bonus that aftermarket racing calipers dont have yet. I figured I would tackle this project because i've done something very similar to my 64 chevelle ss and my dirt racecar.....but those were easy compared to this. Anyway, i'll post more info as i get it and im gonna go to kragen and get their part numbers and prices for the rotor and caliper, and if i get a real good template made maybe i can help out with that or making the mounts or a whole kit or something. Have fun, See Ya, Louie
Old 10-27-2003, 06:05 AM

Louie, I hope you got my PM on how to hook up the E-brake. I should know because I used to have a 1989 Toyota Corolla ( TRUENO, AE92, 4AF) I sold mine to get my XB, and it was the SR-5 Model so I got the same set-up for disc on it. PM me if you need help!

Old 10-27-2003, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

NICE!

are you using an additional proportioning valve to compensate for the drum pressure coming from the mastercylinder?
Old 10-27-2003, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Again, i admire your dedication and desire.

I can maybe help everyone out. If you know the center hub hole, I can find a rotor that will fit without modification. I can probably also find a caliper that may fit better. I just took a quick glimpse into toyotas parts bin and there are a plethera of stuff that may work. Even some vented rotors.
Old 10-28-2003, 01:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

:D thanx for all the input and atta boys :D
lets see......
*nope no additional proportioning valve everything seems to be working ok, I was a little worried there may be a check valve somewhere in the drum brake sys (there usually is), but if there is it seems to have no effect on the rear calipers. they dont seem to be dragging.
*dont remember the exact size of the center hole on the rotor, but if you have access to a parts resourse, i'm sure there may be some more suitable parts out there somewhere. vented rotors would be cool, but would definately not work with these calipers, they are too narrow.
*i havent taken apart the front brakes, but if the rotor is not part of the hub, the rotor and the front caliper may be a very easy install (keeping in mind the e-brake would be history)
*i so screwed up with the dust shields (kicking myself in the ars)i went back for them, but pick-n-pull wanted 10 bucks a piece for them (not half price anymore) and considered them backing plates. so i didnt get them, then changed my mind and went back for them....they were gone....guess theyll see the light of day again as a can for some refried beans or somethin...man i am so cheap well thanx again...
See Ya, Louie
Old 10-28-2003, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dont worry about the dust shields, really not important. Especialy where we live. I dont have the front or rear set on my s2000, but then again, i am running 6 piston caliper s up front with 14" rotors and 4 pot calipers with 13" rotors in the rear. They actually run a lot a cooler without the shields. Only in plces where they salt the roads is it something to worry about.

If you have your stock drums you should be able to get the center hole on the hub. With that, i may be able to start eliminating some stuff. What would obviously be the best solution is something that is readliy available and cheap. Some of the corolla stuff may be more expensive. Im going to take a look at some of the mr2 stuff as well as a few other little pocket rockets from japan and see what i can find.

Youguys bring up a valid point though about the proportioning. This is something that really does need to be taken seriously. You really want to make sure that you r rear brakes do not lock up before your fronts.
Old 10-28-2003, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The deal with the dust shields is purely asthetic, they would make the whole brake package look larger and fill the wheel a bit more and more resemble the fronts. I really notice the difference between the front and rear now, and the gt-s dust shields i think were identical to the fronts in the way the edge was rolled.....still kickin myself!

I had never really laid on the brakes until after changing the rears so i dont have any comparison to draw on, but i took it down the street got to about 55 or so, let off the gas made sure i had a good handle on every thing and just slammed on the brakes, the pedal was very firm, moved about another 1/4 inch and the thing stopped on a dime!!!!! never felt anything like it before, was very impressed. The tires never even chirped, but i think i may have set off that stability control beeper, dont really know though, i heard something. We have a 97 cavalier and the pedal pulsates alot from the anti-lock sys this thing was solid. Thanx again, See Ya, Louie
Old 01-30-2004, 04:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

alright, bringing this back up.... has anyone found any parts that will match up better? I'm looking to do this myself and matched up parts would be awesome..
Old 01-30-2004, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you want function or do you want the style of 4 wheel disks. If you want function you don't need disks on the rear, just install Porterfield R4S pads on the front and send them some rear shoes and have the R4S material installed. AutoX and street braking will be equal to disks, road course with higher heat for longer time would require rear disks.

You won't have the cool factor but you will have more $$ in your wallet.

Throw in some stainless hoses and you will out brake 95% of the cars out there.
ken
Old 01-30-2004, 05:56 AM

hey louie, did you ever get the e-brake working? Still a great modd!

Old 01-30-2004, 04:19 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Stylis
hey louie, did you ever get the e-brake working? Still a great modd!
gabe, louie got it hooked up. he posted the info on a new thread.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

I feel that This was needed

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...183&highlight=

Great job with the mod!

you mention that the e-brake line is not the same on the scion as the Mr2, What did you do to fix that?
Old 02-18-2004, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

Default Rear disc brakes.....

Hey guys....a few days ago I was talking to a rep from Willwood...I asked he they had a rear brake kit to go along with the front brake kit they sell ( a lot of the S.E.M.A xb's had willwood's)...it's funny cause he laughed....said something like what's the need of rear discs in this car.......I like them for the looks...but his point was the Hp and weight of the Xb there was no need for them.....I guess he has a point.....with the 4 disc brakes you will have no trouble stopin :D
Old 05-28-2004, 08:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default For those that are willing to spend $988...

Click on the scroll down menu & check it out:

http://highonscion.com/chassisProducts.htm

Does anyone have this? If so, how about a review? Thx!
Old 06-01-2004, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member

would you be interested in refabbing those mounts and shipping em to me. if its not gonna cost too much id like to do the same thing

Quick Reply: Scion xA/xB Rear Disc Conversion