What Wax To Use On A BSP?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 02:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

Default What Wax To Use On A BSP?

I have an '08 BSP xB and I have notice that in only 2 months I already have swirls in it. I know this is normal, but the thing is that I've already waxed it. The first time I used the black Turtle Wax stuff with the chip thing that looks like a tube of lip stick, needless to say, it didn't do that great of a job. So, what is the best wax for a black car? And should I hand wax or use a buffer?
Old 09-14-2007, 02:47 PM
SL Member

Hey midgethearsexb,
Iv'e been using Meguiars gold class wax, great shine, I have a BCM, and am getting swirl marks as well, they are very hard to avoid, but if you use clean microfiber towels only, you will at least eliminate some.
I used to use Meguairs 3 step system on my previous car, and it worked very well, although time consuming, and will probably use the first two steps on my xB this weekend, finishing with the gold class wax.
On whether to hand wax or use power, I would definitly use power with a caveat, don't use a rotory without some experience, an orbital, like you will find just about anywhere these days for $30, works just fine, and won't damage your paint, if you keep your bonnets clean, clean, clean, and don't use pressure, just let the weight of the machine do the work.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kiiski
Hey midgethearsexb,
Iv'e been using Meguiars gold class wax, great shine, I have a BCM, and am getting swirl marks as well, they are very hard to avoid, but if you use clean microfiber towels only, you will at least eliminate some.
I used to use Meguairs 3 step system on my previous car, and it worked very well, although time consuming, and will probably use the first two steps on my xB this weekend, finishing with the gold class wax.
On whether to hand wax or use power, I would definitly use power with a caveat, don't use a rotory without some experience, an orbital, like you will find just about anywhere these days for $30, works just fine, and won't damage your paint, if you keep your bonnets clean, clean, clean, and don't use pressure, just let the weight of the machine do the work.
I second this. Make's my BBC shine.

And the number one rule is to keep everything looking good. Keep everything clean. The smallest little piece of anything in a cloth/bonnet/mitt will cause scratches.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have been using Maguire's Tech Wax for my BSP twice so far and the results are stunning.

I have some swirl marks, a tiny group that was my fault (clay baring some residue on the roof), so im weary of ever using that stuff again

In general after 3 washes now I have very few swirl marks. You REALLY have to look for them, so I guess I been doing a good job

I usually spray down the car at high pressure from the hose for a good 10 minutes, really trying to get all the debris off the car. I then use a microfiber sponge and give it a good wash, top to bottom. I towel dry with microfiber (top to bottom again) and then once ready check for anything that requires some extra hand work (bug's, bird poo).

I then coat the whole car in a nice coat of wax, not just just sections. Once im finished I clean all my windows with invisible glass and rain-x the outsides (<3).

Then I go ahead and buff the wax, and go back with a new towel to ensure it is completely off. By then the car is just gleaming. Very wet looking and well, perfect! I finish it off with some wet tire and im set!

Here is a picture I took last night

Old 09-14-2007, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax! I use an orbital.

Here's my 1st-gen BSP box using Tech Wax regularly...

Old 09-15-2007, 05:05 AM
SL Member

Default Meguiar's

The Meguiar's three step system is probably the best solution for you. It's relatively cheap(and easy to find) but it does take a good day to do it right. Right now I would just put on some of the NXT wax to protect it until you have the time and the tools to remove the swirls and protect the paint. When that time comes heres what to do:

1. Wash and Clay Bar the car, this gets rid of most of the dirt and contaminants.
2. Get a Porter Cable 7424 and work on the swirls with Meguiars #80(#83 is good to but a bit harsh for newer cars). This will get the swirls out and really help make the color shine through. You can go to Meguiar's website and see video's on how to use the Porter Cable. If you can't find #80 in your area then you can use meguiar's scratch x instead, but just for the swirled areas. I would just try to find some #80 and do the whole car with it and work a little harder on the swirled area, if the #80 doesn't seem to work then move on to #83, if 83 doesn't work then it's time to hire an expert.
3. If you used scratch x, follow that up with a polish (meguiar's polish in their three step system). You'll be using the porter cable for this step as well. If you used 80 or 83 then move on directly to wax.
4. So now your car is completely clean it is time to protect it. You can use a pure wax at this point. The Meguiar's Gold class (basically Meguiar's #26) or Mother' California Gold Pure Carnuba wax. If you use these waxes without doing the previous steps then you are basically waxing over dirt. If you want to do that at least use a cleaner wax. You can also use the Porter Cable to apply the wax (it will take you about 20 mins to spread the wax with the maching). Then wipe it out by hand using a clean terrycloth or microfiber towel for each panel.
5. Stare at your car for 5 more minutes.
6. Collapse in your bed.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 09-16-2007, 12:49 AM
SL Member

Ok,
So today I did the "modified three step Meguiars" first two steps with Gold class wax. It turned out awesome. My daughter and her boyfriend showed up just as I was finishing and her comment was "It looks like a giant purple mirror", and he just kept saying "freaky" and "thats sick".
Here are a couple of pic's, with the second one being a self portrait of sorts.

Kiiski
Old 09-16-2007, 12:56 AM
SL Member

Excellent work Kiiski
Old 09-16-2007, 04:40 AM
5 Year Member

Default waxes

I do detailing would say the meguires nxt tech wax is the best wax to use. leaves a very wet looking shine and it lasts. i even use that on my rims and then the hot shine tire shine, that stuff is also good for dressing up the engine too. just make sure you do the engine first then wash and wax or it will look like you have leapard spots all over your car.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:26 PM

Ok I figure this is as good as any place to ask this question:

What is the best way to wash the car, to avoid scratches and swirl marks (Mine is black, which seems like it would show badly if there were scratches)?

With past cars (this is my first new car), I have gone to the Brown Bear car wash and put in coins and used the "Foamy Brush"/Water spray wand combo.

Is that foamy brush gonna give me scratches?

I would like to try out this NXT Meguiars, but I gotta start with the cleaning and one step at a time.

Thoughts?
Old 09-17-2007, 10:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I detail cars in seattle I have tried alot of products and my favorit is Griots.

never wipe in circles either because if for some reason you missed something on the claying you will drag it acros the paint and long horziontal scratches are harder to see than swirl marks.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:32 AM
SL Member

The best way to avoid swirls is to park your car in the garage, use a car cover, and never drive it. Sooner or later it will swirl and you will have to use a machine to correct the swirls.

One way to dry your car is when you are doing the final rinse before drying don't spray the car with water, use thick streams of water and have sheets of water flow off the car. It will leave less water on the car to dry. Just make sure the towel you are using is free of dirt and use a different towel for each panel.

There are some people on one of those detailing message boards who say they use an electric leaf blower to dry their car. If you want your neighbors to laugh then go that route.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dry wash! been using it for 15 years