Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

After Changing To The After-Market Rims

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 09:59 PM

Default After Changing To The After-Market Rims

I Upgraded My Wheels to 19"s and Right After I Did That, The Light (Danger Sign?? "Kind of Looks Like (i) Blinking For a Minute And Stays on). I Checked The Owner's Manual And It Required Me to Go To The Scion Dealership And Have It Checked (Because It's Signaling That the Tire Pressure Gauage Is Malfunctioning). Can Please Anyone Help Me Out Here as Far as What I Should Do To Get Rid of That Light to Come on ?

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2007, 10:09 PM

your stock wheels have a tire pressure monitor system, when you bought your new wheels you should have asked the installer to maybe try to install the stock TPMS tom your new wheels. Im not sure if any here where any succesful on doing that. but you should be ok.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah... just have them installed on your new ones.

Here's a thread on it (for the tC, but similar system as the xB)
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=132535

Apparently disabling the system is unlawful (see the thread)... but I suppose if you didn't care about the TPMS working you could just remove the dash light for that, or install them in the spare... more info on that:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=181776
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=182013

Good luck-
Old 09-14-2007, 10:52 PM

i appreciate you guys' info. however, i ordered the wheels from Japan, and i didn't have any knowledge of the tire pressure monitor system prior. but if the monitor system does not jeopardize the performance of the car, I would probably not pur money and effor to put the monitor system on. do you guys know how much it costs to put those on? i'm surprised that a bunch of people in this forum put on after-market rims and nobody really asked this question.

thanks again for help!
Old 09-14-2007, 10:58 PM
SL Member

theroyalblood: All you need to do is go to any tire shop and have them break down the bead of the tires and they can swap the sensors out it only takes about 10min to do so. As far as cost goes the shop will charge you for mount and balance for all 4 tires (because the size of the sensors will throw off the balance).
Old 09-15-2007, 06:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whoa, hold on for a moment.

Read the manual. On page 120-121, it talks about resetting the switch. If you bought a tire/wheel package online and it was delivered without remote transmitters, then you'll have to either get new transmitters (if you don't have the old ones) or have your old ones installed in your new tires. If you need new ones, the Scion dealer would have to have the ID from the new transmitters registered with the TPMS.

If they installed the transmitters but didn't register the 'new' pressure for your new tires, then that will also trigger a malfunction signal.

I myself, had my wheels replaced with 16" Enkei GF1s this afternoon, and so far I haven't seen anything...so far so good.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Everyone is correct. Either get the sensors from the OEM wheels transferred over, buy new sensors and have them installed ($$$$), disassemble the dash and disconnect the LED so you don't see the warning, or ignore it.