Go Back  Scionlife.com > Scion xB Classic > Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge > Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior
Reload this Page >

Brake light on passenger-side doesn't work. Turn signal is fine.

Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Brake light on passenger-side doesn't work. Turn signal is fine.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:07 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Dynasty
SL Member
Thread Starter
 
xBSciontist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: FL
Posts: 234
Default Brake light on passenger-side doesn't work. Turn signal is fine.

I have a 2004 Scion xB. However, my after-market option (dealer installed) passenger side brake light is no longer working properly. I thought it was the bulb that went bad so I replaced it. The brake light doesn't light up when applying the brake, however, the turn signal works fine on the same bulb it utilizes. I checked the two fuses the Tail and Stop fuse and they both look fine. Is there another fuse I need to check to verify if it is bad or not in order to get my passenger side brake light to work? I'm hoping that this is an easy fix that I could perform on my own and not pay an arm and a leg to get this fixed at the dealership. Also, I'm hoping that I don't have to buy a new tail light. Please let me know how I can fix my passenger-side brake light to work again. Thank you for your time.
xBSciontist is offline  
Old 12-31-2016, 03:54 PM
  #2  
Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

 
ironman3452's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 21
Default

here is my take on this, first, you said that you replaced the bulb, and it did nothing, does the drivers side come on when you press the brake pedal?, if it does, then it is not a fuse, I would go and buy a test light, that way you can see if there is power at the lamp holder, next I would check all grounds, it is possible that one on that side has come off, look for the simple thing first, try the lamp from the drivers side if it comes on, you have a bad lamp, then just go and buy new ones, hope this helps let me know.
ironman3452 is offline  
Old 10-28-2018, 10:42 AM
  #3  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 2
Cool

Originally Posted by xBSciontist View Post
I have a 2004 Scion xB. However, my after-market option (dealer installed) passenger side brake light is no longer working properly. I thought it was the bulb that went bad so I replaced it. The brake light doesn't light up when applying the brake, however, the turn signal works fine on the same bulb it utilizes. I checked the two fuses the Tail and Stop fuse and they both look fine. Is there another fuse I need to check to verify if it is bad or not in order to get my passenger side brake light to work? I'm hoping that this is an easy fix that I could perform on my own and not pay an arm and a leg to get this fixed at the dealership. Also, I'm hoping that I don't have to buy a new tail light. Please let me know how I can fix my passenger-side brake light to work again. Thank you for your time.

answer socket is bad....
motorhead99 is offline  
Old 10-29-2018, 04:03 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
 
RichBinAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mesa Az USA
Posts: 316
Default

So the turn signal flashes the brake part of the bulb. That says the bulbs are fine and the problem is in the wiring... That will be hard to find - do you have any animals chewing on the wiring?
You also said this was a dealer optional install - did they use a proper kit where they plug the oem harness into the brake light directly or thru a proper plug? Or did they do it with those wire jumpers on top of the original wires?
RichBinAZ is offline  
Old 10-29-2018, 08:09 PM
  #5  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 2
Default

Originally Posted by RichBinAZ View Post
So the turn signal flashes the brake part of the bulb. That says the bulbs are fine and the problem is in the wiring... That will be hard to find - do you have any animals chewing on the wiring?
You also said this was a dealer optional install - did they use a proper kit where they plug the oem harness into the brake light directly or thru a proper plug? Or did they do it with those wire jumpers on top of the original wires?

most issues are....well mine was also had rodent around, but I used a test light to check my wires were all good but to find out my socket was a bit old and the contact on the tail light was a bit dirty, so I took it apart cleaned it and get a new socket and now it's all fixed. you have 3 light bulb using a cheap OEM contact plate so it's bound to get old and dirty., better yet get a new tail light with all new contacts.
motorhead99 is offline  
Old 06-17-2019, 10:58 PM
  #6  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 3
Default

Originally Posted by motorhead99 View Post
most issues are....well mine was also had rodent around, but I used a test light to check my wires were all good but to find out my socket was a bit old and the contact on the tail light was a bit dirty, so I took it apart cleaned it and get a new socket and now it's all fixed. you have 3 light bulb using a cheap OEM contact plate so it's bound to get old and dirty., better yet get a new tail light with all new contacts.
Hey motorhead99,
Would you mind telling me how you replaced the socket? What part did you purchase?
The contact for the taillamp on one of my TYCs crapped out. I'm hoping to not replace the whole thing & was looking for the wiring harness which has been discontinued - probably because it's a piece - TPS25-52041-wh (I've also seen it listed as PTS25-52041-wh).

I'd appreciate your knowledge!

Thanks,
Angie


AbhorrentAngie is offline  
Old 06-18-2019, 03:06 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
SL Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 229
Default

The metal wire connectors have a locking pin that locks each wire connector into the socket. A special tool disengages the locking pins and you pull out each connector, one at a time. Reassembly doesn't require a tool. You just insert connectors into the (new) socket holes. The locking pins will snap in place. If you don't have the tool, the smallest jewelers screwdriver might fit into the socket hole. If that's too big, you might have to use a medium or large sewing needle.

I couldn't find a socket part number. Have you tried electronic contact cleaner spray? If you try it, first disconnect your negative battery terminal (and make sure to wait for wet spray to completely evaporate before reconnecting the battery.) Temporary liquid build up might cause a short.
62Fender is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
shawnb41
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
2
01-28-2015 05:17 AM
mischman
PPC: Misc and Lots
3
01-14-2015 06:07 PM
VCUBoy714
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior
2
01-05-2015 08:46 PM
minter66
PPC: Vehicles
0
12-15-2014 01:45 PM
Opr8r
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior
20
02-25-2004 11:29 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake light on passenger-side doesn't work. Turn signal is fine.


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.