Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Some questions about the audio system

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 11:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Some questions about the audio system

Hi, This is my first post here. I plan on getting a 2nd Gen xB within the next couple weeks. I just removed the old audio system from my SUV last night. I just need to put the intake and guages back to stock form before I trade it in. I'm tired of getting 15-16mpg and can't wait for a change!

Meanwhile I can't help but to think of the possibilites for my future xB...

For those of you who have taken their stock speakers out - were they 4 ohm or 2 ohms? If they were 4 ohms, have any of you run 2 ohm speakers off of the factory HU (base, premium, or NAV) without the internal amp shutting down? I'm asking because I really want to keep this car simple (no amps if possible). If I can run some 2 ohm speakers like some from the Infinity Kappa series I think I should be able to get some pretty good performance out of the stock head unit.

Another question... Since all 3 audio systems put out the same power, is there an amp of some sort that is separate from the head unit? If so, how does it look and how many watts RMS do you think it puts out?

Until I actually have the car in my hands I'll have a million questions. Hopefully in the future I can actually make a contribution here.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I pulled out my stock front speakers & they are 4 ohms.
I replaced them with Infinity Reference 6022i.
I also pulled my stock head unit. There is no external amp. It's all built in..
Hope this helps you out.... jh
Old 10-05-2007, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the reply. That helps.

How do you like the 6022i? How would you describe the sound and volume over stock? I just looked them up and saw that they are 2 ohm speakers. Does the head unit power them without any problems (shutting down)? That would be good to know that the stock HU is capable of driving 2 ohm loads.

Did you put them in the front? The 6022i is not a component speaker so did you disable the factory tweeter? Just curious...
Old 10-05-2007, 01:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No I NEVER heard them thru the stock HU. I actually changed the head unit as well.. I went with a PIONEER PREMIER DEH-P490iB CD MP3 + iPod Cable.
This bad boy combination with the Infinity speakers in the fronts sounds dammmn awsome.. NO AMP needed for the speakers at al! This sucker gets SUPER loud with no distortion, it's un belieavable. I also had a sub & sub amp previously hooked to the stock HU so that is still in use now too. & the sub is 200% louder than before now with the proper pushing from the new HU. The new HU has many many different ways to adjust the sub, I am still trying different things with the settings.. Sometimes its just too dammn powerful. The factory tweeters are still in use. I am very happy with the way it sounds. I am bidding on a PAC-SWC interface to get my steering wheel control back.. Probally next weekend should have that installed, so all will be final with my audio. hope this helps for you!... jh