Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

SNS Bluetooth/Backup Camera/Voice Recognition

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 01:56 AM

Default SNS Bluetooth/Backup Camera/Voice Recognition

Hello All,

In going through the systems check menu in the SNS I see grayed out options for:

* Voice Recognition
* Backup Camera
* Bluetooth TEL Integration

Given what I've been able to figure out, I would hazard a guess that the the options are disabled because the unit doesn't sense that the accessories are plugged in. So, has anybody tried to connect, say, a backup camera to the SNS? I can't find the darn posts now, but there's a wiring diagram of the previous NS and it had a definite sockets for a backup camera, mic, etc.. And it appears that the new SNS has the same plugs, just in different places.

Does anybody have a wiring diagram for the new SNS? Or does anybody know if it's available off the Toyota Tech Info site? (I'm too cheap to find out myself)

Thanks
Old 10-10-2007, 02:12 AM

Default Wiring Diagram

Heya All,

I found the wiring diagram I referenced above. It's for an Eclipse, but as I understand it the plugs and pin-outs are Toyota centric.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26335
Old 10-12-2007, 12:27 AM

Default On a Related Note

After digging into the map DVD I've figured out that the SNS is actually a Windows device. It's either Windows CE or Windows Automotive. I don't know about the specifics of the system yet, but I would imagine that it uses some form of flash ram for persistent storage.

Also, the voice is named 'Jill'. It appears to be a voice synth system that uses technology from here:

http://www.nuance.com/automotive/

I think the voice is some sort of 22K wav like file.

BTW, the end goal of my research was to swap out 'Jill' for something more like 'Captain Kirk'. Wouldn't that be cool??
Old 04-11-2008, 03:35 AM

Default SNS Bluetooth-Back-up Camera options

I found the same greyed out sections and came here looking for a way to enable/add these features to the SNS. I will keep searching and post if I find anything out. I will also check back to see if anyone else comes across something.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Having already torn into it (literally, my wife lost her mind when she saw my sns all over the bench) Sorry to say but the physical interfaces for video in, or a mic or even a blutooth addon just aren't there. You seeing items that are disabled in the firmware. It the same firware used in the Alpine navi. But of course that's not to say someone couldn't have a ball hacking it
Old 04-12-2008, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's the company that makes our system, they may be able to help with info on availability of upgrading, and what it would take.

http://www.aisin-aw.co.jp/en/02produ...nal/index.html
Old 07-29-2008, 11:47 PM
SL Member

Default update

I spoke to the Scion customer service reps a few days ago. Unlike my dealership people, these guys are very professional and knowledgeable. Unfortunately the answer was: sorry for the confusion - the grayed out functions are the features of the software, which is shared with some other car models(Toyota,Lexus). The hardware part of the SNS100 does not support neither Bluetooth, nor Camera, Voice input. They couldn't tell me if there are going to be any updates to the hardware in the future, but did not exclude that possibility.
It's kinda sucks for the $2000 system on supposedly the most upgradable car )))
But if you can get it for under $1000(I paid $800 shipped) I think it's well worth it. Looks totally stock, GPS works great, sound quality WAY better than the "Premium" Pioneer system even with the same factory speakers. I hope somebody soon comes up with a way to be able to input addresses while driving(without cutting and drilling and loosing warranty ))

Cheers !
Old 07-30-2008, 12:56 AM

Default I found out the same thing :(

I finally got through to a person with some technical knowledge of the SNS through e-mail. He informs me that the SNS just uses the same firmware as the other Toyota/Lexus branded navi systems. The SNS, however does not have the hardware to support Bluetooth or a backup camera. Bummer!
Old 07-30-2008, 07:41 AM

See I found the same options and I believe that the backup camera will work. I think that if you go on trd sparks they have a backup camera for another toyota that I think will work. I think that you could make it work there is the video input on the back of the sns.

http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...&parts_id=2320

http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...&parts_id=2086

Or you could add this mabey http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...&parts_id=1767
Old 07-30-2008, 07:45 AM

Hey check this out it mentions the xB in the install PDF on the upper right but its for the FJ.

http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...&parts_id=1347
Old 07-30-2008, 09:59 PM
SL Member

I don't know s**t about electronics, but the guys at the shop that installed my SNS and Scion tech support pple both confirmed - there is NO video input on the SNS. Only output. If you want to add a couple of extra monitors - you can.
Your last link is for a full system - monitor+cam. It's always an option, but kinda kills the point of integration of all the functions into the SNS unit.
Good luck and let us know if there's any new developments.
Cheers !