Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

new xB owner, Scion Guys review...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 07:13 PM

Default new xB owner, Scion Guys review...

hello fellow xB owners!

I just recently purchased the 2008 Scion xB in Hypnotic Teal Mica to replace my very loved, but gas guzzling 2002 Nissan Xterra Supercharged. I haven't done all the fancy schmancy upgrades/mods...as I like my cars simple, but I did get the upgraded stereo with satellite (XM).
[img]https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2139/1514709587_5af41e6179.jpg?v=0[img]

Things I LOVE about it so far (just had it a little over a week):

1.) LOTS of headroom. This is a bonus since my boyfriend is 6'5" and I don't like feeling like I am in an escape pod.
2.) lovin the design. the 1st gen xB's weren't really my style. I liked that they were breaking out with something new...but I didn't want to buy the box. This design is a little sleeker and less harsh...I dig it. And that color isn't everywhere...I likey.
3.) drives great. so far, haven't had any issues...
4.) even though I moved from a SUV to a..(what is this, a sport wagon?)..well to a xB, I don't feel like I am hugging curbs when I drive. that is a big deal - especially in Dallas where SUV's are king...
5.) I dig the standard features (like the stereo controls on the steering wheel, fold-flat back seats - excellent for storing camp gear, etc )
6.) much better gas mileage...still too early to see "real" mpg averages, but still...WAY better than my supercharged Xterror.

I bought the xB at Sport City Toyota in Dallas. Originally, I was there to look at the Toyota Matrix...but it felt like an escape pod and the Toyota salesman (who shall remain nameless mainly because I forgot his name in the first 15 seconds of meeting him) wore on my nerves. Push push push sell sell sell. I hate that crap. I figured I would look at the Scions just for grins. Turned out to be a good idea. Moving over to the Scion area, the "Scion Guys" were hanging out around a patio table and pretty much just shooting the breeze. They were all very willing and ready to help a girl find a set of wheels that would work for her. Got the "guided tour of the car" from Jeff and the guy dubbed "trunk monkey" (sorry fellah...can't remember your name!!)
Anyways, the completely different sales approach coupled with the better product (in terms of what I needed/wanted) really hooked me. These guys were having fun, the car was fun, well built. SO I bought it. And I haven't had an ounce of buyer's remorse.

I went back last night to get my plates and reg sticker...Jeff was there and graciously hooked me up with some mix CDs, a wristband (for the xD, tho), and some info on this site as well as the upcoming events this weekend.

My boyfriend jokes that I should start selling these...but I sorta have. ;) My co-workers have all asked me about the car, where to get it...and I even let some of them test drive it (after I get a copy of their TX DL and insurance).

All in all...a rockin ride and a good experience. Kudos to the Scion Guys for hooking me up with my new car!!!
Old 10-10-2007, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Congrats on the ride.

PS. I have to ask, supercharged Xterra!?
Old 10-10-2007, 07:52 PM

"PS. I have to ask, supercharged Xterra!?"

I like running over stuff It had great pickup, gas and engine skid plates, and I play outside alot. It was a great ride for those remote locations that you can only get to by old dusty jeep trails. You can hate on the Xterror all you want, but I LOVED that thing. Got a bit choked up when I sold it. sigh....
Old 10-10-2007, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not hating on it, just asking. I have a distaste for rice, never for anything purpose built. Sounds like your Xterror was very much purpose built. Specs, pics?
Sorry for the OT.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Congrats on the new purchase! Ironically I used to drive a Toyota Matrix and I think you're the only other person in DFW besides me on this board that got Hypnotic Teal Mica. What do you think of the color? I know it's controversial but I love it and have gotten lots of compliments from people that have seen it in person.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by uberspeed
Not hating on it, just asking. I have a distaste for rice, never for anything purpose built. Sounds like your Xterror was very much purpose built. Specs, pics?
Sorry for the OT.
Oh I said "don't hate" with jest. I apologize. I sometimes forget (as I haven't been on a forum in a very long time) that the tone of my statements can be misinterpreted.

Loved the X. Never had any problems with it, handled beautifully...specs...eep...uhm...dang...it was black. and uh...had 17" off road kick booty tires/wheels on it...and premium sound...and uhm...could run over stuff. Not a 4x4, but even the 2 wheel drive was ample for what I did. I wasn't a huge offroader, but did enough pebble crushing to earn some nice nubby tires. I think this is the only pic I have available...from a camping trip. Not a profile, but it makes me laugh. The bag was part of a really bad camping gag. I am somewhat hidden in the driver's seat behind the glass...adds to my mystique.

[/img]
Old 10-10-2007, 08:44 PM

Congratulations! And I'll agree completely with the comparison between the Toyota people and the Scion people. It was the same deal at my dealer (though I went in there knowing what I wanted, I still had to deal with some obnoxious Toyota salesmen on the way to the Scion department).
Old 10-10-2007, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Matrixv01
Congrats on the new purchase! Ironically I used to drive a Toyota Matrix and I think you're the only other person in DFW besides me on this board that got Hypnotic Teal Mica. What do you think of the color? I know it's controversial but I love it and have gotten lots of compliments from people that have seen it in person.
love the color...at first I didn't like it. I almost got the blackberry crush....but when I came back to look at it in the daylight (first night o' shoppin was after dark), the teal just really stuck out and called my name.
LOTS of compliments on it...usually the first thing people mention, then they go into how snazzy it is.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by clari0n
Congratulations! And I'll agree completely with the comparison between the Toyota people and the Scion people. It was the same deal at my dealer (though I went in there knowing what I wanted, I still had to deal with some obnoxious Toyota salesmen on the way to the Scion department).
Thanks

Yeah, that's why I was trepidatious about starting a car search to begin with. Everything about Scion just resonated with me...so I am pretty darn happy.
The traditional car buying process isn't very compatible with my oh-so-impatient personality. I don't take kindly to someone trying to ram a turquoise colored escape pod down my throat with a bunch of options I don't need (or WANT) when I am trying to describe what I DO want...and they just choose not to listen. sigh.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

beckbee,

Congrats on the new ride! I too came from a 2002 Xterra SE (non-supercharged). That thing was slow and got 16mpg! It was nice though because mine had leather and a killer $tereo system. I don't regret getting rid of it though. The new xB is plenty roomy. I'm learning not to take dips and bumps so fast though!

I guess you were in the same boat as me? I paid off the Xterra and had to decide to keep it with no payments but terrible gas mileage, or finance a new more economical car. I obviously opted for the latter and I'm glad I did. With the savings in gas put into the equation, I'm only paying about $180/month for the xB. Anyway, I think the xB quickly becoming the best car I've had, even though I "downgraded" from the much more expensive Xterra.