Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Steering Remote Wiring Colors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Steering Remote Wiring Colors?

Hey all,
I just had an eclipse nav unit installed and the tech did a very half a$$ed job of it. I'm now going back and correcting his lazy work. I'm wondering if anyone knows the wire colors coming from the steering radio controls. My HU shoes that the remote should function but Im not sure which wires to splice. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have no idea, but i noticed that my lights in the controls are out.... i hope its just because i put in a new HU which disconnected the wire to power the light
Old 10-11-2007, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try this link here..
http://www.pac-audio.com/swixprogram...ehicles&ID=423
I believe it's saying pin number 8 on that plug.. now I have no idea what the color of the wire is, but if you are digging in there, wouold you please tell us what color the wire is in pin #8.. I am getting my PAC on friday & am going to do this pin 8 deal.... good luck.. let us know if this is THE ONE.. thanks alot.. jh...

ps.... in the diagram.... it says...... "CAUTION.. This is NOT the main power plug"

it's probally not even hooked up for those of us that have aftermarker HU in there
Old 10-11-2007, 11:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, my light went out on the steering wheel as well. I'll check pin 8 and let you all know. I did notice that the link leads to a write-up for the 04-07 Xb. Not sure that the wiring would be the same.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes, have the same problem. i found one wire that ohm's out, but none that supply power with or without the swc buttons being pushed. if you have any luck, please let us know. i have a pac swc for a clarion just collecting dust!!!
Old 10-12-2007, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes, have the same problem. i found one wire that ohm's out, but none that supply power with or without the swc buttons being pushed. if you have any luck, please let us know. i have a pac swc for a clarion just collecting dust!!!
Old 10-12-2007, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

whitebreadbox... is your clarion one of these models??
Below are Clarion radio's compatible.

Model
DXZ275MP
DXZ375MP
DXZ475MP
DXZ575USB
DXZ675USB
DXZ775USB
MAX675VD II
VRX375USB
VRX575USB
VRX775VD
if so.......
did you get this PAC

Part Number: SWI-JACK
??
If so.. the instruction are right there on their site..

http://www.pac-audio.com/swixprogram...ehicles&ID=423
ou need to access 3 wires on the 20 pin plug, BUT ONLY the white wire on the PAC.. You'll see..... read that number 4 step.. pin 6, 7 & 8 wires must be in play on the Toyota Plug... BUT only the RED +, Black - & the Whiteon the PAC are to be
used..

Here's an illustration..
http://www.pac-audio.com/swixprogram...ehicles&ID=278

Finally, it seems pretty stratight foward to me.. confusing at first.. read & re-read it, it'll come to you I re-read them 3 times now to make sure I got it right... Your Clarion instrustions are the same for my Pioneer.
I will get mine hopefully today for my Pioneer & I have an understanding on how to do it...
good luck... jh
Old 10-16-2007, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

jimmbomb, thanks again for your help in this matter. i have the Clarion DXZ775USB HU and the pac swc adapter for that HU (with the 3.5mm male plug) i'm pretty good with electrical (prior aircraft mechanic, now nuclear mechanic), i just didn't want to hack into the wires not knowing the difference between the 07 and 08 xb's. i'm going to give it a shot this weekend, though. i'll get pix and post them when its done!! thanks again man!!!
Old 10-16-2007, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got my PAC today.. But I get home at 6 pm & loose my daylight within a half hour now due to the season.. i will tackle it friday if I get off work... keep us posted!!!! jh
Old 10-17-2007, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok, heres the skinny. just got done installing my pac swc for my clarion. the wire colors for pin's 6, 7 and 8 are black, white and red (respectively). the black goes to ground (i used the HU ground), the white goes to the PAC plug white wire and the red gets a 150ohm resistor and also hooked to the white wire on the PAC plug. on the PAC plug, you need to connect the red wire to a 12v switched source and the black to ground (also used the HU ground). programing was a bit strange... when programing the vol up and down along with the track up and down, don't do the vol up then push the program button, then vol down, push the program button (same with track up/down). push vol up, then program, vol down, then program (same with the track up/down) then push menu then program.

sorry, but no pix. couldn't find the camera. if you have any Q's, pm me. there is a bit of a delay when the button is pushed, not enough to get mad about, but its better than reaching for the remote or dash!!!
Old 10-18-2007, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

congratualtions, whitebreadbox!!! i will do mine friday.. So was it easy enought?? just kept reading the instructions?? did the liiustration help?? Thanks for pointing out the colors fro the plug wires.. I may have to ask you agian when it comes toprogramming.. So does the "mode" button also work?? if you can, please go thru the programming part agian.. especially the 'donts'. your posted is kind of confusing.. you say.."programing was a bit strange... when programing the vol up and down along with the track up and down, don't do the vol up then push the program button, then vol down, push the program button (same with track up/down). push vol up, then program, vol down, then program (same with the track up/down) then push menu then program. "

So when i start to program it... push vol. up/ program, vol. down/ then program..... then 'menu' button?? what's the menu button?? You mean the 'mode' button... thanks for the reply & up-date, WBBox.. just go over the programming one more time, will ya?? thanks. jh
Old 10-19-2007, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay Dokayyyy.. Got mine installed today. Works great! I cannot tell if the 'MODE' light came back up on the wheel. I'll have to wait till sundown. I'll re-vise this post when I find out!.... jh

ps I take that back.. my "MODE" button just mutes the HU instead of switching between the modes.. It worked fine with the deck hanging out of the dash.. soon as I put it back together,, now the mute funcion is there when Idid indeed skip that step.
Gotta take it back out & play with it tommorrow.
& YES. the "MODE" light came back ON... jh
Old 10-20-2007, 12:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

jimmbomb, congrats on the install. i didn't read it a bunch while doing it. if i do, i end up rewording the instructions. and yes, i screwed up the do's and don'ts. my bad. so your mode button mutes the system? mine doesn't... it just switches the modes (as intended). and i couldn't tell if my mode light worked either till i was driving into work the next morning. all in all i'm super happy with it not having to reach across the car to get the volume right.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes my 'mode' button mutes the darn thing when in 'Tuner" mode, but when I am in CD or AUX or IPOD, then the 'mode' button actually switches modes! But not in 'Tuner' mode. I am having a tough time getting over that flaw on my Pioneer premium HU.
And to top it off... I "SKIPPED" the "mute" function while programming the dammn thing.. It's wierd, but I'll get used to it.. Over all, I like my S/W controls back!!! cool!! Now WE are the ____!!!!. lo..... jh
Old 01-06-2008, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so what wires do i need to hook up?
Old 01-06-2008, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

posted by 'whitebreadbox':
ok, heres the skinny. just got done installing my pac swc for my clarion. the wire colors for pin's 6, 7 and 8 are black, white and red (respectively). the black goes to ground (i used the HU ground), the white goes to the PAC plug white wire and the red gets a 150ohm resistor and also hooked to the white wire on the PAC plug. on the PAC plug, you need to connect the red wire to a 12v switched source and the black to ground (also used the HU ground). programing was a bit strange... when programing the vol up and down along with the track up and down, don't do the vol up then push the program button, then vol down, push the program button (same with track up/down). push vol up, then program, vol down, then program (same with the track up/down) then push menu then program.

sorry, but no pix. couldn't find the camera. if you have any Q's, pm me. there is a bit of a delay when the button is pushed, not enough to get mad about, but its better than reaching for the remote or dash!!!