Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Eep... kinda worried

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 06:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Eep... kinda worried

sooo i was driving today, i was using the sport shift on my car, and i was in first gear and i forgot to shift up while i slammed on my gas, and i reved all the way up to 6000 Rpm almost redlined to 7. this only for like 1 second i quicly realized that i was doign this and slwo down and shifted back up

now my question is, did i cause any considerable engine damage or shorten the life of my car in anyway?

the engine was running a little rough but i dunno if thats from my paranoia
Old 10-22-2007, 07:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Eep... kinda worried

Originally Posted by masterbassist
sooo i was driving today, i was using the sport shift on my car, and i was in first gear and i forgot to shift up while i slammed on my gas, and i reved all the way up to 6000 Rpm almost redlined to 7. this only for like 1 second i quicly realized that i was doign this and slwo down and shifted back up

now my question is, did i cause any considerable engine damage or shorten the life of my car in anyway?

the engine was running a little rough but i dunno if thats from my paranoia
Why are you worried? Is it not broken in yet?
Old 10-22-2007, 07:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

well i have about 2500 miles on it

i was just worried if i damaged my engine
Old 10-22-2007, 07:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been on the hwy goin 60-70mph and shifted from 4th to 3rd on accident and the car red lined hard if you know what i mean. Toyota makes a great product dont you think they tested and thought about that happening? The 1.5liter and 2.4 are bullet proof motors no need to worry unless ur doin it everyday. ITS OK.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

ok cool thanks for the pieceo fm ind guys, i love this forum
Old 10-22-2007, 03:08 PM
SL Member
SL Member

I would sell it asap and get a new one! I will give you 100.00 for it since you have ruined it. jk.

Toyota's are great cars I find it hard to believe any damage may be done. Give it a good wash to so it will know you love it.

enjoy.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:32 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by hwybox
I've been on the hwy goin 60-70mph and shifted from 4th to 3rd on accident and the car red lined hard
ouch man, thats why i didnt get a 1st gen. my 2nd gen would gently eat up 60-70mph in like 2nd gear. But yes our motors rock.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The engines have a rev limiter. When you get to the redline the engine cuts out. Saves the engine from mistakes.....
Old 10-22-2007, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, that and even in sport shift, the car isn't going to let you do anything that is going to hurt it. like if you hit the downshift while redlinining int he gear your in already, it will just ignore you.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

paranoia, cars still good
Old 10-22-2007, 06:44 PM

I had a similar experience with my xB a couple of weeks ago. I was real impressed with the fact that the cruise control on the manual trans will shut off when you engage the clucth as a safety measure to keep you from revving the motor. However, I really try and save on gas as much as possible and coast the maajority of the time when approaching an off ramp. I pushed in the clutch, shifted to neutral, and then realized I didn't give myself enough speed to make it to the ramp without ____ing everyone off behind me, so not thinking, I hit the 'resume' on my cruise control. Next thing I know the motor is nearing redline because I was in neutral.

I felt like a turd.

But, I feel that this is another area where another safety feature couldn't hurt. IMHO the car should know when it is in neutral and not allow the cruise to resume until a gear is engaged. But hey, I'm sure there is a reason why this isn't the case..., right???
Old 10-22-2007, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ominousinc
I had a similar experience with my xB a couple of weeks ago. I was real impressed with the fact that the cruise control on the manual trans will shut off when you engage the clucth as a safety measure to keep you from revving the motor. However, I really try and save on gas as much as possible and coast the maajority of the time when approaching an off ramp. I pushed in the clutch, shifted to neutral, and then realized I didn't give myself enough speed to make it to the ramp without ____ing everyone off behind me, so not thinking, I hit the 'resume' on my cruise control. Next thing I know the motor is nearing redline because I was in neutral.

I felt like a turd.

But, I feel that this is another area where another safety feature couldn't hurt. IMHO the car should know when it is in neutral and not allow the cruise to resume until a gear is engaged. But hey, I'm sure there is a reason why this isn't the case..., right???
Yeah, that doesn't seem right. So you were coasting in neutral with your foot OFF the clutch (clutch not engaged) when you hit "resume" on the CC and it fired up the throttle? Is that right? Or did you still have the clutch down? Either way, there should definitely be some sort of a neutral safety switch or something on that thing.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

... IMHO the car should know when it is in neutral...
um, no
the DRIVER should know

next thing you'll have are people wanting cars to drive for them...
Old 10-22-2007, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

I felt like a turd.

I did the exact same thing on the highway once

I was cruising at 70 and put the gear in neutral (downhill) and after i got to the bottom of the hill I engaged cruise control while in neutral...had the engine rev up to redline and I quickly put in the clutch to stop it from revving
Old 10-22-2007, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by avus
... IMHO the car should know when it is in neutral...
um, no
the DRIVER should know

next thing you'll have are people wanting cars to drive for them...

Well, if you want to look at things from this perspective, then let's remove the rev limiters, idiot lights, airbags, hell even the seatbelts in cars as well. While you are at it, get rid of your baby monitors, fire detectors, life vests and so on, right? Maybe then darwinism will have a chance to weed out those of us people who are 'stupid' enough to make a mistake every now and then, and we will once again have a world filled with perfect people just like you.

Why not.. accidents only happen to those who truly deserve a blown engine, or death, right?

I consider myself to be pretty well in tune with my surroundings, and whatever it may be that I am piloting down the road. If I can make a mistake, then anyone could possibly make the same mistake who happen to be equally or less aware of their surroundings, including even you.

Accidents happen, and it never hurts for an engineer to think ahead for those of us who lack the 'extra sensory perception' and happen to make a mistake that one had no clue even existed before it even happened.., right?

Before you jump so quickly to criticize someone for making an honest mistake, think back to a time when you had the unfortunate experience of making one yourself. You just may learn to present enough compassion an understanding to make this world a little more capable of the love it seems to be lacking anymore.

All I did was present a honest issue that seems to have been forgotten about, even though another issue similar to it (pushing in the clutch, and the cruise disengages) seems to have been addressed. Or should that be removed as well, all mighty god who needs nothing and no one to keep them from fu#*ing up?
Old 10-23-2007, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

wow
maybe i should of added an IMHO

my comment was just an opinion, not a critique or criticism -- nor an instigating posture of perfection

the fact that we are driving 5spd manual transmission xBs means, IMHO, we have to try and maintain a higher involvement of interaction while driving -- that's all my previous comment was meant to convey

now, back on topic
Old 10-23-2007, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yo quick question. If ur looking to get the best speed times. what would be better for an auto. Shirfting close to redline? or shift at around 4k?
Old 10-23-2007, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

to get the best acceleration times, trade in your auto for a manual.

but essentially you want to shift near redline because then your going to have the most power in the next gear. but it is kinda pointless because the automatic transmission pretty much already does this for you when you have the pedal to the metal.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm surprised no one has actually said this, but the engine is designed to spin at that RPM, and higher. If 6000 RPM was a problem, the rev limiter would be set much lower.