Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

new speakers are in: some observations (updated with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default new speakers are in: some observations (updated with pics)

I was able to install my Polk db6501 in the front and db651 in the rear in the midst of sheltering some friends and family at our condo in the midst of the San Diego wildfires. It is just crazy here in SD!

It might help to let you know that my previous 2 cars had "good" sound systems complete with amps, component speakers and subwoofers. I am trying hard to avoid going that route with the new xB because I'm trying to conserve cargo space and I dont listen as loudly as I used to.

The verdict is that the POLK speakers sound much better than the stock speakers. the tweeters set at 0db may be a tad bright, but I think they'll soften up a bit over time. The good thing is that they are easy on the ears. The stock tweeters really induced ear fatique (to me) that tweaking could not help. If you don't hear these kind of things consider yourself lucky. The entire freqency spectrum is much cleaner than before. The db651 coaxials put out more bass then the db6501 components. The components probably want a little more power. That being said, I'm running these speakers off the SNS and they sound good enough to not amp them (until I get the itch to do more to my car!)

An important thing I noticed is that the Scion sound-processing (SSP) sounds like ___ with the new speakers. It worked better with the stock speakers which is no surprise. I don't like digital processing anyhow, but I think it helps with the stock speakers. With the POLKs, I have it set to "off". The other digital processing functions included with the SNS also help the stock speakers, but detract from aftermarket ones. This is a good thing as I'm much closer to true hi-fi sound. With the EQ set flat and no signal processing I'm getting a pretty balanced sound. I bumped up the lowest frequencies to compensate for lack of power/amplification.

With these budget-mid range POLK speakers I'm pretty happy. Of course there is room for improvement but I think these fit the bill nicely. You can spend much more money and get marginally better results.

-------------------------edited to add images----------------------

stock front speaker

new front woofer (crossover inside door)

new tweeter. I had to remove the tweeter grill to make it fit.

new rear speaker.

sorry about the low-quality pictures. Not too bad for a cell phone though...
Old 10-24-2007, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Did you have to use any type of adapter plate or were they included with your purchase?

I have some JL XR 6.5" comp's sitting in my house BNIB and I'm planning on throwing them in.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used the adapters that came with my speakers. None of the holes in them matched up with the stock holes so I had to mount the adapters by making new holes with self-tapping sheet metal screws. Drilling through metal door panels is both scary and oddly gratifying.

Have fun with the tweeters. I had to do some modifications to the sail panels to get the POLK tweeters in. They're held in place from behind with double-sided tape and silicone.

I have 4 MDF speaker rings that I bought before I did the installation. I obviously did not use them. PM me if you want them cheap!
Old 10-25-2007, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Dang. My speakers didn't come with any kind of adapter... Lame.

I'd totally take the MDF speaker rings off your hands, but I got spare MDF and I'm puuurdy handy! Thanks, though!
Old 10-25-2007, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rockthebeef
I used the adapters that came with my speakers. None of the holes in them matched up with the stock holes so I had to mount the adapters by making new holes with self-tapping sheet metal screws. Drilling through metal door panels is both scary and oddly gratifying.
Ahem...sounds a little familiar...
Old 10-25-2007, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Any pictures of adapters that came with the polks?
Lol!!
Old 10-25-2007, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bigfieroman
Originally Posted by rockthebeef
Ahem...sounds a little familiar...
Bigfieroman - Thanks for the tip via PM. I guess you deserve some credit. I was thinking I might have to do this and your input confirmed it. But if anybody out there in Scionland wants to know, Bigfieroman did it before I did.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
Any pictures of adapters that came with the polks?
Lol!!
Sorry no pics... They're similar to the Crutchfield ones http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...2SAC656&tp=919 but they're not exactly the same. It looks like they pretty much do the same thing though. Perhaps the Crutchfield adpters' holes line up perfectly - I'm not sure. But it wasn't worth another $150 to get my speakers through them. My whole set (brand new on ebay) cost $50 less than the front speakers alone at Crutchfield.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Gotcha.

And I had to lol @ our differences in screen names. Lol!!
Old 10-25-2007, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
Gotcha.

And I had to lol @ our differences in screen names. Lol!!
That is pretty funny! I was "straightedge" back in the 90's but I guess if I'm not now than I never was... Is that how it goes? "rockthebeef" is reference to playing bass, although I am known to fire up the grill and rock the beef in a more literal sense.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

The "not now than I never was" is kinda how I look at it. But some people do it as something to fit in. I'm not sure if this is your case (I'm definitely not saying that it is) but some people do grow out of it. And it's totally understandable. Heck, I hardly have any edge friends.

Nothing wrong with eating meat, either!

Thanks for the help, bro!! I tried looking for those Scosche adapters. I knew they made them! eD makes some MDF ones, too. But they're a little expensive.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So can you share your source on where you got the rockin' deal on the speakers?

Thanks for all the info too BTW.

-Mike
Old 10-25-2007, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

from this dude: http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZgmorrls985

Note I have no affiliation with him. I'm just a satisfied customer. He hasbetter shipping rates if you buy more than one item.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.frys.com/ has had them at $50 with less S&H charges, FYI. Check from time to time.