Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Planned system, feedback appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Planned system, feedback appreciated

Old 12-20-2007, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Wow Uber!

Nice layout and that's one sweet system. I had been looking at those Polk speakers here locally and the sound great! The only thing that I might ad is to run a separate amp for the sub.

I can't wait to see the install. Are you going to do any sound deadening while you have everything out?

cc
Old 12-20-2007, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yep, sound deadening is a must. I'm doing it all stealth and am already giving up the spare, don't want to run 2 amps really, I just want simple. As it stands the sub will be 2Ohm and get 450W RMS, that should keep me happy. I hope.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Very nice! Are you going with eDead? I used Dynamat Xtreme on my gen1, but it so cost prohibitive to use that I was thinking of making the switch on my gen 2.

Love the VSi enclosure too! Nice choice. That thing will sound like a concert hall when you are done! I didn't realize the you had noted "+ 450x1 @ 2 Ohm. I thought that it said "or" at first. Again, nice choice!

cc
Old 12-20-2007, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thank you!
eDead v1² in the floor, gate, quarter panels (all rear)
eDead v1SE² in the doors with eDead V4 on top (4 doors)
I may do more afterwards if I'm not satisfied, but I think that should be enough of an improvement to keep me happy.
I've had Dynamat in previous cars, just too cost prohibitive indeed.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

uber,

Nice component selection. Eclipse amps are strong and reliable. They're not popular because Eclipse does charge a whole hell of a lot, making them a great value. The Polk db series components are good but if you can swing a little more cash, go MM line. The crossover in the db is a little too cheap and colors the sound.

One of my favorite tricks, is to use the headunit amp to run the stock rear speakers. As rear fill, the headunit can't keep up with the external amp (which is what you want) and the reduced volume on the rear keep the musically stage up front. This allows you to spend more money on the front components. And if you stick with the same amp, you could bi-amp the tweeter and woofer and have it sound so much better than using the passive xover. I'm not familiar with the sub. But for reference, Car Audio and Electronics review 3 12" subs in this month's issue, and all were very well received. The Morel is very expensive, but the Alpine SWX and RF P3 are very reasonable and loved by the reviewers.

Just my opinions.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice stuff, here is what I would personally do a little differently.... I would run your rear speakers off the head unit, and the front speakers using an active crossover and spend a little more from some diy components up front....but that's just me
Old 12-20-2007, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We meet again Uber... this should be a sweet thread.

I really like the idea of having a stealth system and the 5 channel amp is a nice touch to keep things simple. Bing from Simplicity in Sound is local to me, so here's some suggestions he had for my particular setup.

To keep a cost affective budget, here's what he suggested would work good for a nice SQ system.

Pioneer Avic D3 (bluetooth, backup camera, ipod adapter, SW controls)
DLS CA51 - 5 Channel Amp
6.5" Image Dynamics Chameleons
12" ID Sub

Bing chose the DLS amp because he wants to wire the whole system actively and throw away the passives. For that reason, we are going to leave the rear fill stock and just use the extra money for better components up front. I've always had coupes with no rear fill, but Bing said I wouldn't really be losing much by powering the stock rear fill with the D3 in the XB. Since I trust his expertise more than mine, I am happy saving a buck or two, and just using that for better components.

To me, the only thing that looks questionable to me are your components and battery. Since I've never heard those components before, I won't comment on them. But for the battery, I don't think you need it. Try googling "Scott Buwalda" because he built champion SQ car and left the stock battery to prove a point that you don't need to waste your money on one... That's my 2 cents so far...
Old 12-20-2007, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know, I know guys, you don't need rear fill, spend more on the front comps, go active, etc. I've "heard" it all lol I may end up going that route, not too sure on active just yet.
I dunno, I may change it up.

D_Unit, look closely under the battery, (if necessary)
I plan on doing the Big 3 (4 runs actually) and grounding everything out really well with 0 gauge power wire.

I would love to go DLS and ID, but I don't have that coin man. I designed this system to be very, very simple and cost effective. I may ditch the Polks but dunno for sure yet. I know passive xovers rob a bunch of power, and it's plain to see I don't have a lot of W to go around
I do think though that in the end it should be good enough without having spent an arm and a leg.

I'm going eD on the sub since they built the enclosure so they pretty much tuned it using that very driver, just made sense to me. Also, the sub is rated at 500W RMS and I only have 450W RMS to feed it.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated folks!
Old 12-21-2007, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My memory sucks but aren't you the guy who wanted to avoid spending a lot of money on car audio for your XB? If so, just avoid the ICE & Interior threads entirely until this compulsion passes!

If you're not that guy, never mind my ranting. That looks like one helluva AV system for the coin and even if you could get something a little better for for a little more coin, that's always true so where do you draw the line?

BTW, great system diagram!
Old 12-21-2007, 05:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's all relative though, not a lot of coin is less than 2k for me in terms of an audio setup. I've spent upwards of that previously for custom work, so 2k for EVERYTHING isn't bad.
NAV HU
all speakers and sub with enclosure, sound deadening and all cables, wires, etc. will run me less than 2k, plus I'll be doing it all myself, but that's the hobby part of it.
I just don't want to go nuts on amp racks, 2 or 3 amps, active setup, DLS, Zapco, stuff in that realm.

Thanks on the diagram! Visio is my friend, I also studied Architecture way back when.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When you consider folks get the factory NAV for 2k, well...
Old 12-21-2007, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by uberspeed
When you consider folks get the factory NAV for 2k, well...
Yes, that does put the cost into perspective. Anyway, that looks like a sweet system and I hope you enjoy it. I'm jealous...
Old 12-21-2007, 04:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FYI, Crutchfield is offering Polk speakers for 50% off the second set. That should put a few bucks back in your pocket, or allow you to upgrade.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:52 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

wow that will be one kick ___ set up!!!!! u'll love the avic d3. i've seen it and used on other people's cars that made me sell my screen and get one

those components will rock
Old 12-21-2007, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey Uber,

Another day at work, another day to surf these threads. Like you, I'm in IT too, and have a dedicated PC to surf the web on an entirely different network completely off of the production network... I am a network genius!

Anyways, I totally agree with your reasoning. Before I joined this forum, I added the stock Nav on the price of purchase, then canceled it for an after market instead. Like you, my budget is around $2K or so. BTW, are you buying everything new? I was able to get my set of ID Chameleon 6.5” components for $125 used.

Oh yah, I am sure the eD sub is nice. I had one of their older e12a subs and it was VERY nice. However, I was not a fan of their original eDead stuff at all. Before they had version 1,2, or whatever, the original stuff was crap. One hot summer, I had all the eDead stuff peel off of my trunk. It was such a huge pain to take off and remove. On the other half of my trunk, I had Raamat. Now that stuff stayed on till this day. For me, I personally recommend Raamat for sound deadening. It does exactly what it is supposed to do, and is cheaper than Dynamat. Check this out for some good reading about sound deadening... While your at it, buy some Ensolite at raamaudio too. It's the real ensolite stuff you can trust, and none of that generic stuff...

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

Here's Raamat's website...
http://www.raamaudio.com/
Old 12-21-2007, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Almost forgot, no bluetooth or backup camera??? I thought you were ballin' Yo!!! Uber, don't drop the ball. I'm not sure I feel right supporting this thread if you're not going to purchase the finer things in life.

Here's another thing I'm going to try to have my Bing install...

BAM! A game port to play games on long trips. If you want Xzibit to "Pop yo colla," then you might need one of these too....

Old 12-21-2007, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yep the old edead was um not so good ;)
New stuff is butyl based, not asphalt, that deadener showdown is outdated but still a good read.
Stuff will be new, eBay is my friend, crutchfield is nice but still too pricey.
I may add the BT later, I don't see the BU cam very useful, it's a small xB I'm backing up, not a semi! lol
I'll wear some aluminum foil as a grill, good enough D? :D
After this I do plan on doing the OEM DVD headrests for my son to enjoy on trips.

PS. Hey D_Unit, a robust VM in a DMZ is a lovely hop to take on your way to being undetected in everything you do ;)
Old 12-21-2007, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Crutchfield is only pricey if you don't have any problems. Otherwise, they stand behind their stuff. And, on occasion, they do have a sale that makes the difference in price not worth the hassle should the component be DOA. For example, they're offering the Alpine IDA-X001 at $300. It may be a few bucks cheaper or with free shipping elsewhere but I doubt those place will stand behind their product like CF.

edit: corrected the Alpine model number. Also, you can get a free Sirius tuner and installation kit. That makes it a great deal.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by uberspeed
Yep the old edead was um not so good ;)
New stuff is butyl based, not asphalt, that deadener showdown is outdated but still a good read.
Stuff will be new, eBay is my friend, crutchfield is nice but still too pricey.
I may add the BT later, I don't see the BU cam very useful, it's a small xB I'm backing up, not a semi! lol
I'll wear some aluminum foil as a grill, good enough D? :D
After this I do plan on doing the OEM DVD headrests for my son to enjoy on trips.

PS. Hey D_Unit, a robust VM in a DMZ is a lovely hop to take on your way to being undetected in everything you do ;)
on the aluminum foil comment... I got the stock DVD headrests for my daughter, and now she doesn't even talk to us anymore in the car...lol I just wished the Scion DVD headrest played backed up DVDs better, but maybe it's my media or burning speed. I haven't troubleshooted that yet.

Thanks for the tidbit on VM in the DMZ... I thought that was funny. You ARE a nerd! I can't use a VM because I also have this PC connected to my newsgroup so I can download music and stuff and listen to them with my ear phones.

HareBrained, that's a great price. I'm going to pass this info so some of my friends... thanks.

Quick Reply: Planned system, feedback appreciated