Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Problems....

Old 01-17-2008, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Problems....

So I am having to issues with my with my 08. I am looking for ideas as to what it might be. It's been to the dealer and of course.... they couldn't duplicate the problem.

1st issue. When backing out of the driveway and turning the wheels to the right, there is a loud pop from the right rear of the car. I have been under there and checked everything. It's all tight. No signs of wear anywhere. I mean I have checked it all.

2nd issue. Pull in the driveway. Come to a stop. Shut the car off. Release the brake pedal and the rear brakes makes a popping sound. More of a ding. Kinda like the old drum break pads being loose sound.

Any help and or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:10 AM
5 Year Member

check your emergency brake. If thats rubbing it will get hot and "weld" itself. Then pop when breaking loose under load.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that or condensation from the rapid change in temp. i know that when it rains overnight and i drive for the first time after that, i get the same pop and ting sound when moving. have had it with several vehicles. as far as the sound when you go in reverse... not so sure. have you checked the wheel lugs. i know, sounds stupid, but you'd be suprised (sp). also, pop off the rear tires and put never cease on the surface of the rotor that the rim sits on when its on. have also had that problem. good luck and keep us posted.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I still say get a new driveway
Old 01-18-2008, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by toober75
check your emergency brake. If thats rubbing it will get hot and "weld" itself. Then pop when breaking loose under load.

-baaawhwahahahahahhahah...............no, That would never happen.-

Hard to say what it would be, Did you go on a test drive with the dealer to demonstrate the problem? It is something in your driving style that makes this happen more frequently.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Re: Problems....

Originally Posted by tkanaz
2nd issue. Pull in the driveway. Come to a stop. Shut the car off. Release the brake pedal and the rear brakes makes a popping sound. More of a ding. Kinda like the old drum break pads being loose sound.
Is this on a flat surface or is your driveway sloped? My driveway is sloped, and it makes a wookie howl noise (that's what they all called it in the VW world). It's the weight of the car kind of pushing and the pads settling on the rotor. Really hard to explain in a way that makes sense, sorry that sounds retarded. But it's not really a pop sound.

I agree with everyone else about the moisture kind of seizing the pad to the rotor making a pop when it breaks free. But I don't think it would do it every time. Really stupid question, but is there anything that your tire rolls over that could make the noise? Like a homeless guy or something LOL.

Something I just thought of from another post. A few people were experiencing a popping noise sometimes when they were braking. For one of them it turned out to be one of the sliding pins in the caliper. It didn't have enough grease on it and it would get stuck the "pop" free. Might be something to look at.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's been to the dealer. It's been test drove. And they say that there is no problem with the brakes. I would agree with the moisture problem. Except it happens after the car has been driven. The popping noise backing out of the driveway is when it drops of the drive way into the street. And that noise happens cold or hot. Thank you very much to those that helped with answers.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And this only happens pulling into and out of the driveway, no where else? Seriously, you sure it's not smacking the curb? Having been out to the Phoenix area, I'm terrified to pull into my parents driveway, it's like there is zero slope! it's more like a short curb. Try this, back out of the driveway at an angle so that one tire at a time hits the dropoff.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It happens everywhere. My driveway, Leaving work, hitting hard bumps with the right rear. Going over the annoying speed humps that have littered our city. Yet everything is tight. And doesn't look to be worn. I am stumped. And I have no mods. This thing is bone stock.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tkanaz
It happens everywhere. My driveway, Leaving work, hitting hard bumps with the right rear. Going over the annoying speed humps that have littered our city. Yet everything is tight. And doesn't look to be worn. I am stumped. And I have no mods. This thing is bone stock.
You know, I had something similar after installing my sway bar, had to re-torque the bolts on the shocks, no more noise
Old 01-18-2008, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will try that in the morning. It's worth a try. The thing is stock. Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

HEY I GOT THE SAME PROBLEM I DONT KNOW WHAT IS IS EITHER ITS SOME KIND OF CLICK SOUND ON THE REAR OF MY XB EVEN WHEN IM IN A EVEN SUFACE AS SOON AS I PU IT IN REVERSE IT MAKES THE SOUND MY DAD NOTICED IT WHEN HE WAS OUTSIDE U NEED 2 PUT A GOOD ATTENTION 2 HEAR IT FROM INSIDE
Old 01-18-2008, 12:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

This topic is being locked because it is duplicated in the Owners Lounge.

If you have a response to this topic, please click the link below and you will directed to the other thread. https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=207363