Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

How do you run 2 amps from the Factory Headunit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 02:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default How do you run 2 amps from the Factory Headunit?

like the title says, i have the factory upgraded headunit and have been toying with the idea of installing a 4 channel amp i have lying around to some components. i'm also planning on hooking up some subs to a 2 channel amp as well. has anyone done it and how?

i have a clarion eq i was considering using but just can't think of a nice place to mount it where it will be accesible but not in plain sight. just looking for some suggestions here. thanks.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
Team Sushi
SL Member

well the stereo has 3 rca outputs, for the 4 channel run 2 rca's one for the front and 1 for the rear and the 2 channel run 1 rca to the SW output to power the subs.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 06scioxb
well the stereo has 3 rca outputs, for the 4 channel run 2 rca's one for the front and 1 for the rear and the 2 channel run 1 rca to the SW output to power the subs.
Yep, you should be able to easily. Mind you some other folks here spent a lot of $ on everything else leaving the Premium HU in place and the source just killed the whole system. Once they swapped it out everything else just shined! I think scionfred was the poster's name that had that experience, iirc he had Bing do his install.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

uber, watching your build and severex (i think that's his name.) has me soooo jealous. plus, i have all the parts already! i have some mb quarts 6 1/2 components i bought a while ago and an ma audio 4 channel amp, both brand new, never used, begging to be slapped on! i swore to myself i wouldn't do this to the new xb!

i just like the look of the stock headunit and the steering wheel controls and ipod controls so much it pains me to get rid of it. i'm happy with the infinity speakers i have in the car now, it's just the stock tweets that murder. so sharp sometimes. but again, i know what a difference the headunit makes, so i really want to avoid swapping it out if at all possible.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

xseveredveganx His build is sick thus far, but his aims are different than mine. I wanted stealth and simplicity, he wants ear sex lol More power to him, looks like he knows how to build his own boxes and all, knowledgeable guy indeed.
I seriously thought about the Premium HU for a while, but at $400 and a D3 at $600 I went D3. I keep my steering wheel controls with a PAC SWI-PS. You did sound deadening right? Major battle won right there. anything you do, small or large afterwards builds on that. What are you thinking for lows? start with the gear you have and go from there.
When I finish my system we can meet up being that we're close if you want to take a look (hear).
Old 02-01-2008, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm definately a stealth type of guy. i'm not looking to blow up the block with volume, i'm just looking for clarity and more full sound. the stock tweets don't seem to blend well with anything. they just screech, so figuring out how to get rid of them is step one.

and i have the equipment already, i just want to try and keep this build simple. i've had the crazy set ups before and it always becomes a hassle in the end. i honestly thought i'd be happy with the infinity speakers in the doors and the stock tweets. now i hate them more each and every day. the infinity's sound great though. less bass than stock but it's very tight. and yeah, sound deadening was by far the best mod i've done so far.

i might hook up the eq and see what, if anything, it does to the sound. i'm convinced the stock headunit can be used while creating a decent sound system.

and when you get your car done, i'd love to give it a listen. you go to any particular dealerships to get your service done? i work at kendall toyota so if you ever swing through for an oil change or whatever, shoot me a pm. i'd like to hear what you've got going on in that xb.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not tryin to steal the thread or anythin but uberspeed, where did you find the avicd3 for 600?
Old 02-02-2008, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, i caved. i sold my mb quartz speakers and other random audio equipment i had lying around for some major cash, and got an amazing deal on the polk db6501 components from crutchfield. i got 2 sets for $250.00 shipped! lucky for me i talked to a rep named cody who took real good care of me. on top of that, i was able to return my infinity speakers and i had enough money left from the sale of the mb's to have a tech at my dealership install the whole thing!

now all i gotta do id get that stupid sub box set up and i'll be golden.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by simplexb
not tryin to steal the thread or anythin but uberspeed, where did you find the avicd3 for 600?
http://cartronixplus.com/
$595 shipped to my door.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-02-2008, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by randomsuper
well, i caved. i sold my mb quartz speakers and other random audio equipment i had lying around for some major cash, and got an amazing deal on the polk db6501 components from crutchfield. i got 2 sets for $250.00 shipped! lucky for me i talked to a rep named cody who took real good care of me. on top of that, i was able to return my infinity speakers and i had enough money left from the sale of the mb's to have a tech at my dealership install the whole thing!

now all i gotta do id get that stupid sub box set up and i'll be golden.
Amazing deal indeed!
I'm not usually down that way, but when I'm all done I'll shoot you a PM so we can maybe hook up at a local meet or something. I did some deadening today, man am I tired...
Old 02-02-2008, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol! sound deadening is the worst. how much did you get done and how much do you need to do?

and yeah, let me know if you ever come down to a local meet. i haven't been to one in forever. i hope to have my stuff installed sometime next week. hopefully it'll sound decent with the stock headunit. i'm definately going to use my clarion eq to have aa little more control over the sound. if it works it could be an alternative to everyone who wants to keep factory upgrade.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh man... I did 2 out of 3 runs for the Big 3. Outer layer for both front doors, most of the inner layer, still need V4 for the front 2 doors. Nothing yet on the rear doors or tailgate section. Slow progress, but son with soccer and other duties means I can't dedicate much time, so I keep cutting short
Old 02-03-2008, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, it's a time consuming process. you'll pick up speed. the more you do it, the faster you get. it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a buddy help you. i offered beer and lunch to get a few helping hands.