Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Going to bite the bullet - Installing the AVIC-D3

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Going to bite the bullet - Installing the AVIC-D3

So I purchased the AVIC D3 brand new for 535.00.
I was going to have the shop install it, but they want 300 for it to be installed with the steering wheel adapter.

Now I've installed car stereos before so I know it's not difficult at all. Just time consuming. But I'm a little nervous about installing this because I just bought my xb, 3 weeks ago. Anyways, I was wondering if anybody had any pointers in installing it.

I am most worried about the VSS wire, reverse wire, and how to route the GPS antenna wire. I'd like to have the GPS antenna mounted on the dash near the front where the defroster vents are, but I'm not sure how to route the wire around there.

I've read everything about the "bypass" mod and I'm pretty confident about it.

I really learned allot but I'm hoping somebody has detailed instructions like in this TC thread

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...=avic&&start=0

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2008, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
Scikotics
SL Member

i dont have an Xb, but once you get into it, it is very very simple, the GPS doesnt have to be routed all the way to the front of the car, just as long as your not on a big sheet of metal.

Definately go to radio shack and get some t tap connections and that will make the bypass alot easier, and the vss wire is really easy, all you is clamp the right colored wire.

The reverse wire doesnt even need to be connected unless you have the reverse camera to be installed as well...

ima try and think of some other things thats helped me...but the biggest thing is just take your time!
Old 03-12-2008, 06:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

VSS wire doesnt need to be installed. it'll still work well without it.
the bypass is just a switch of a couple of wires:
http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4670

the gps wire can be easily routed to the front as well. once you have the radio out you'll see that if you separate two plastic pieces (they may be the heat vents) you can get it right to the front.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OY 530???? thats hella cheap. did u figuer out how to use the steering wheel controls or is that lost when u switch out the stock unit?
Old 03-12-2008, 01:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
Team Sushi
SL Member

go to trdsparks.com and go to the navi installation pdf. and it will show you where the vss but they call it rev wire i did install it and it worked fine for my D3

once you add a after market unit you will loose the steering wheel controls unless you purchase a Eclipse Brand unit you will need to get a PAC adapter for you to get the steering wheel controls to work on the D3
Old 03-12-2008, 01:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Couple of questions. According to the nav install guide from trdsparks, it says the VSS wire is purple/white, but there are threads on this website that say that the VSS wire is PURPLE only. So which one is right?

Also, does the GPS antenna have to be ON the dash in plain view of the sky or can it be under the dash near the air vents?

Lastly, how do you remove the stock radio? Do you remove the radio first? or do you remove the panel with the air vents first? If so, do you just put your fingers in the vents and pull?
Old 03-12-2008, 02:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
Team Sushi
SL Member

just pull from the vents towards you and then romove the smaller dash peice on top of HVAC so you can access the bottom bolts

i belive it is the (Violet / White). wire
Old 03-12-2008, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My NAV and XM antenna are both mounted under my front dash and have no issues with reception at all. the front of the XB has tons of room to work with. I used the location suggested by the OEM NAV install in the pdf available from trdsparks.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 06scioxb
just pull from the vents towards you and then romove the smaller dash peice on top of HVAC so you can access the bottom bolts

i belive it is the (Violet / White). wire
So you remove the vents before removing the stock radio?

Also, not to sound dumb, but whats a HVAC?
Old 03-12-2008, 03:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

HVAC = Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning
Old 03-12-2008, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

gummyneo78 where are you located? Im in chicago if your close I can give you a hand. I ran an install bay at best buy for 4 years.
-nick
Old 03-12-2008, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

As mentioned previously, check out this PDF that gives you an idea where to hook up that wire, as well as a spot to put the antenna to be completely out of sight, which on the passengers side above/behind the glove box:

http://trdsparks.com/install/08545-00930inst.pdf

Apparently there is a shelf under the dashboard waiting for the antenna. However, much more of your dash would have to come off to reach it. I had an installer do mine ($100) and he didn't want to take apart the entire dash without extra cost. They ended up sticking it on the dash in the corner of the pasengers side, it looks fine, is barely noticeable, etc. He commented that the magnetic pad it comes with doesn't always work great, and it can slide around on it.

To remove the stereo, to elaborate on what's been said before, refer to the same pdf, page 2. It shows four circles as to where its "stuck" into place. I took mine off to add the PAC-SWI-PS (Steering wheel adaptor) myself. It takes steady pressure, but I was able to get the top loose, then the bottom. After that, there is a separate peice at the bottom side of the hole that lets you get at the bottom two (of the four total) 10mm bolts that hold the head unit in place.

You WILL need a kit that's essentially two peices of plastic to fill in the blank space between your AVIC-D3 and the old hole that the stereo fit in. The height is the same, but there's an extra 1/2" on each side. There are many of these online, I beleive from "Scosche".

Depending on what your cost for the PAC-SWI-PS is, and how willing you are to program it, if the installer's $300 covers the cost of that, it may not be a *terrible* deal. I was able to get this part on Ebay for about $50 shipped and install it myself.

If any of this scares you, find a different installer. My Circuit City did my install, and the installer did a great job. I mainly trusted him because he had worked for years at my area's premier stereo install place, but left when they closed one of their stores.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by redline8k
gummyneo78 where are you located? Im in chicago if your close I can give you a hand. I ran an install bay at best buy for 4 years.
-nick
I live in Los Angeles, but I really appreciate the offer

Just to clarify, I HAVE been searching for information and reading all previous post. I didn't just start this thread without looking. I've been to the trdsparks page, looked at the navi install. I've also been to avic411.com and searched this web site, but the questions I'm asking either have inconsistencies OR aren't 100% clear. So please don't think that I'm just being lazy. I feel completely confident in being able to install this. I'm just trying to address certain concerns.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here is another question.

On the wiring harness for the D3, there is a blue cable that leads to the Auto-antenna relay control terminal. Am I correct in that we don't use this cable and it should just be tucked away?
Old 03-12-2008, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The best kit IMO is Metra.
Metra wiring harness 70-1761, mounting kit 95-8202 the new one.
There's also American International: TOY-K969 + TWH-950.
When you remove the gauge cluster and the radio you have loads of access to mount the antenna, no need to actually take out the entire dash.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

correct the blue wire is for a power anntena and is not needed but its also use for turning on amps if you decide to add them in the future.
-nick
Old 03-12-2008, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why don't you just have it installed at BestBuy for $100?
I have friends that work in their mobile install dept, and they hooked me up and did a good job. And if they fu*k up the car, Best Buy will pay for it.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 714xb
Why don't you just have it installed at BestBuy for $100?
I have friends that work in their mobile install dept, and they hooked me up and did a good job. And if they fu*k up the car, Best Buy will pay for it.
Because the best buy that is near me wants $150 for it, and when I called them up, they didn't seem to know what was going on. I don't want anyone like that near my car.

Besides, I have installed car stereo's before. I've even installed a touch screen Kenwood head unit before, (but it wasn't a nav). After installing that kenwood, I think I can install this one. That kenwood had a separate "brain" unit that had to be hidden elsewhere and it had like miles of wiring coming out of that thing. This looks easy enough, just attach to the harness and go.

I just want to be fully prepared for when I get my hands dirty. And another thing, I'd rather use that $100 bucks to buy a rear view camera (and install that myself too!)
Old 03-13-2008, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Another question, looking at the wiring diagram, there is a orange/white cable coming out of the wiring harness from the Pioneer head unit. In the installation manual it is labled as to "lighting switch terminal" but looking at all the wiring diagram for the factory harness, I dont' see where this oranage/white cable would go to.

Anybody know?
Old 03-15-2008, 06:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I DID IT!!!! W00T!!!!!

It took me all but 30 mins to get it installed WITH THE BYPASS !!!! (Although I haven't tested the bypass, but all looks good so far) I'm soooooooo glad I didn't have the car shop install it. $300 bucks? SUH KIT!!!!

Quick Reply: Going to bite the bullet - Installing the AVIC-D3