Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Is the Navigation worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 08:10 AM

Default Is the Navigation worth it?

I am about to buy my xB but am debating between the premium and navi. what should i do?
Old 04-21-2008, 08:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i say go aftermarket. alot cheaper and it totally gives you alot more options to choose from.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i second the go aftermarket choice ...
Old 04-21-2008, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I also canceled my initial nav $2K option mainly because it would not route destination in between routes AND you could not watch DVDs in the front unless you mod'd it and voided your warranty. Rather than spending the $2K on the factory nav option, I added another $500 to my budget and got a Pioneer Avic D3, 6.5" ID Chameleon Components, DLS 5 channel amp, 12" ID Subwoofer, and a very very clean custom installation that still looks stock.... If any of you guys are in the Bay Area, CA, I know a guy....
Old 04-22-2008, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Coming from somebody who got the Scion Nav System, I would honestly go aftermarket if I could do it all over again. While I'm pretty happy with my set up now, it would have been easier to get great sound with an aftermarket unit. I purchased the SNS "sight unseen". I wish I could have demoed a unit beforehand, but I just wanted to buy the car and not have to mess with anything. It sounded terrible with the stock speakers so I changed them and eventually added an amp & sub. To be fair, I probably would have done this regardless of the head unit.

Pro SNS:
1. fits perfectly without use of dash kit
2. factory iPod and AUX jacks are usable
3. steering wheel controls work (can be done with other units though)
4. Can be included in car loan/payments

Pro aftermarket:
1. everything else

I really like the Eclipse AVN6620 as it will plug right in with no adapters and it retains the use of the steering wheel controls. Like with most aftermarket units, you will have to get the iPod adapter and steering wheel control adapter (if you want those features).

Take a look at what D-Unit was able to do with $2k. Unbelievable... I'm a big fan of Image dynamics. I have 2 of their subs sitting in my closet right now.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rockthebeef
I'm a big fan of Image dynamics. I have 2 of their subs sitting in my closet right now.

ooo...what size? ( yeah, so I'm shopping around )

But yeah, if I had to do it over, I'd go with the Eclipse. Nevertheless, I'm not disappointed by the nav
Old 04-22-2008, 02:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lvbitwiz
Originally Posted by rockthebeef
I'm a big fan of Image dynamics. I have 2 of their subs sitting in my closet right now.

ooo...what size? ( yeah, so I'm shopping around )

But yeah, if I had to do it over, I'd go with the Eclipse. Nevertheless, I'm not disappointed by the nav
I have 2 of the original IDQ 10" subs that look like the version 2, but without the painted logo on the cone. I think they're dual 2 ohm speakers, but would have to double check. PM me if you think you're interested.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

If you're going to spend 2 grand on a nav unit, get the Pioneer Avic Z2. Otherwise, get a D3 for about $600 (wait 2-3 months, because the new Avic-F is coming out to replace the D3, so it will be like $3-400 for the D3) and spend the rest of the money elsewhere.

Plus I think the Scion Nav looks kinda cheap. The buttons are big and rubber...Would have looked much nicer with some nice aluminum finished buttons.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In my personal opinion Id like to have the Scion unit over anything else just because its a Scion product and I like things to match... lol OCD. I just didnt have the money to buy it so I went with the Premium Head Unit.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Buy it off eBay, install it yourself, and save about $800.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/items/sc...ationQ20system
Old 05-09-2008, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

yea I was looking around on ebay at the nav systems. They do have stuff alot cheaper on there.

If yall had the chance to get a scion nav radio for less than a pioneer d3 would you get it?

is it worth it?
Old 05-09-2008, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Personally, I canceled the stock nav and got a Pioneer D3 because I didn't like the fact that the stock nav wouldn't play DVDs up front or let you change routes while driving. That being said, the sucky part about using the D3 is that you must use the DVD nav whenever you want to use the navigation. This sucked big time at first and it really annoyed me a lot going back and forth from CD to nav DVD.

HOWEVER, now I'm running a 5th gen Ipod Video (not Classic) with my D3 and it is absolutely a killer combo. Now, I leave the DVD disk inside the D3 24/7 and get ALL my music from the Ipod. The D3 has an Ipod menu within it's interface, so you can completely control your Ipod from the deck. And the best part, you can output all your music videos and movies from your Ipod to your D3. I have about 100 music videos and about an 80 movie library at my disposal using my 5th gen Ipod. For some reason, it only works on the 5th gen Ipod and non other--it is a killer combo!
Old 05-10-2008, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can you use your Pioneer AVIC-D3 with a steering wheel control adapter?
Old 05-11-2008, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

yea you can get an adapter for the steering wheel controls.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:38 AM
5 Year Member

Default .

The factory Nav will play DVD's while you drive as long as you just ground the parking brake wire. No modding required. We have to watch spongebob on ours while on trips all the time. Plus the warranty = peace of mind.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: .

Originally Posted by Cpjones1231
The factory Nav will play DVD's while you drive as long as you just ground the parking brake wire. No modding required. We have to watch spongebob on ours while on trips all the time. Plus the warranty = peace of mind.
same here. imo, warranty is better with factory. aftermarket usually only 90days unless you buy extra. pioneer avic n2's motor on my 1st gen stopped working
before warranty expires(good thing i bought extra year) but circuit city needs to send it to manufacturer to fix and it took 6 weeks before i got it back. i was driving with my system looked like it was stolen
Old 06-22-2008, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

So is the factory navi worth it. My folks are buying an xB2 and my pops wont go for adding an aftermarket navi especially because he can finance the navi with the xB2 and get the factory warranty.

Cpjones1231 : can you explain what you mean here. I haven't opened up an xB2, so im a little blind here.