Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

CDT Audio... Yay or Nay?

Old 04-30-2008, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default CDT Audio... Yay or Nay?

i currently have some polk db components and was thinking of upgrading. i've heard cdt audio is great and i found a great deal on ebay for some components and 8" subs. i've never heard them personally so i'm just going by what i've read. anyone have any experience with cdt?

btw, my beef is the sharpness. the polks are nice and loud but the tweeters are a bit too sharp for my taste. i'm trying to find something that sounds a little more natural.

link to sub: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=001

link to components: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=001
Old 04-30-2008, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A big YAY! CDT makes great audio stuff!

John
Old 04-30-2008, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cdt makes great stuff from what i've heard... have you tried adjusting the tweeter attenuation on the crossover for the tweeter?
Old 04-30-2008, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
SL Member

I had CDT in my old box, Loved them!!
Old 05-01-2008, 02:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I vote "Yay" as well! I had CDT HD62 components in my old truck. I actually left them in when I traded it in. That was a mistake... Luckily I got mine from a guy on sounddomain (this was 5 years ago) and he hooked me up! I know I got the comps for much less than what most stores charge. I also had 2 of their old MS-100 subs. I picked those up for about $80 each on some online shop that I think went out of business. It seems that when CDTs go on sale they reaeeeeally go on sale.

Another thing is I also have Polk db comps. I totally hear what you're saying about the "sharpness. What helps is to run the EQ flat and if you have a Scion radio, turn off the SSP and any other processing. That stuff kills the true sound. Anyway... The CDTs I had were smooooooth. I think they also plenty of power. I had 100 watts/channel going to mine. Part of the reason I chose the Polks was their efficiency - I could run them off the head unit and get decent volume. Obviously I have downsized, but I'm happy with what I have now.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

edit - double post
Old 05-01-2008, 04:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, i'm gonna see if i can find a local shop that has them so i can give them a listen. i can pretty much guarantee i'll be getting the components but i'm actually very hesitant about the subs. i'm sure they'll give great sq but i doubt they'll be as loud as my ma audio 8" subs. those little bastards hit haaaard. thanks for the responses.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how long have you had your polks? I have found that the polds tend to mellow after some time...

CDT markets some good speakers, but they tend to be pretty overpriced for what they are.

you might also try and get some other tweeters... try some soft dome silk

these had had some good reviews

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id=8177
Old 05-01-2008, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and btw, even with a d3 and lots of tweaking, polks are sharp. some people love it though. personally, i'm not a huge fan. yes it sounds clean, but there are times when it's literally painful to sit in my car. i'm running 100 watts rms per channel, and it can be pretty brutal.

it's just gonna suck to sell them. i'll never get what i payed for them or even close to it.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

did you adjust the tweeter attenuation on the crossover?
Old 05-01-2008, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes. it made a difference, but it lowered everything else too. i really think it's just the way they sound. every speaker is different and what works for some might not work for others. i've had people sit in my car and tell me it's godlike and others complain about the harshness. it's a shame too because i love the bass. punchy with little to no distortion. it's just those tweets!
Old 05-01-2008, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I liked the CDTs in my truck because they helped with imaging compared to the JL XR comps I had in there before. If I remember correctly CDT stands for "countoured dispersion technology" which brings the imaging more up front in theory. I thought that was pretty sweet (and proprietary). I've noticed that the Elemental Designs speakers also use countoured dispersion, and they're cheaper.

I know that doesn't solve your tweeter issue but I thought I'd just throw that in there. Maybe you can get a set of CDT tweets? I like a neutral sound myself and can't stand ice pick highs in my ears. Actually I think the most raucous sound comes around 4k on the EQ with the Polk db6501. Maybe I should look into new tweets. Hmmm...
Old 05-01-2008, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i thought about that, but the price for the tweets alone is about what i'd pay for a full component set from this guy. once pay day comes along, i'm ordering a set. i'm really hoping i can find out some more info about those woofers though. i'm on the fence about buying them.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, today is my lucky day. i was able to sell an old headunit i had lying around for $200, so i went ahead and ordered the components. i'm gonna hold off on the subs for now. i'm not at all unhappy with my ma subs. if they sound a little muddy compared to the cdt stuff, i'll upgrade. in the mean time, i'll let it ride. thanks for the responses guys.

btw, anyone interested in some polk components?