Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Ever Wonder Whats Under The Ugly Heat Shield???

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 11:23 PM
SL Member

Default Ever Wonder Whats Under The Ugly Heat Shield???

Well I looked at the engine for all of 5 seconds before I decided it needed to go... Here are some after pictures for about an hours work.

There are just a 4 bolts holding the main heat shield on and another 2 holding on the bottom/side one. Remove those but you may want to hold onto the side/bottom one. Remove all of the bolts holding the exhaust manifold on and take a brillo pad and scuff as much rust and gunk off the flat piece that mounts to the engine block, this piece is almost impossible to get clean and keep clean so its best to paint it. Use the brillo pad again on the individual exhaust tubes and put some elbow grease into it and they will come to a nice satin shine. After this you want to get newspaper and some painters tape and stuff the newspaper all around the area you are going tobe painting taping it down as you go, and watch on the crush gasket (looking at the engine the left side has a piece that comes out and if you try to shove news paper in there is bites you, got me good but hey blood and sweat go into cars and maybe some tears if you drop the jack on your foot but back on topic). Now you want to take off the individual exhaust pipes as close as possible to the flat piece that bolts on so the paint is going on the coolest part of the manifold. You also want to wrap some tape around the studs coming out of te engine to keep the paint off the threads. Hit it with a few coats of hi temp engine paint in whatever color and let it set for a little while pull off all the tape and newspaper and reinstall the bolts and there you have it. Also you can paint the side/bottom heat sheild in matching paint and reinstall it to help reduce the heat getting to your alternator. Now you can just hit the pipes with a brillo pad to make them shiny when needed and the paint should hold up if the surface was clean enough. Note: Your going to want to let the paint set overnight and then start the engine and let it run for a little, it is going to smell bad for a ittle while and after you go for a drive or too it should go away and the paint should then be cured...

Just thought I would share a nice way to spend 5 bucks and dress up your engine bay for shows or personal taste

Oh and in case anyone needs to be told this .... let the engine cool down before you go touching stuff.....
Old 06-10-2008, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats pretty sweet. ive been temped to do the same thing but the only thing im worried about is the heat off the manifold bubbling the paint on the hood
Old 06-10-2008, 07:56 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

And the heat raising the temps under the hood.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

try this...

http://www.jscspeed.com/universal/th...eader_wrap.htm
Old 06-10-2008, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ShaffNasty
Solves the heat problem, but kinda defeats the purpose of trying to show off the pipes...
Old 06-10-2008, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

True... Function over fashion for me though...
Old 06-10-2008, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's why I still have my heat shield on...
Old 06-14-2008, 05:19 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by UNOHxB
thats pretty sweet. ive been temped to do the same thing but the only thing im worried about is the heat off the manifold bubbling the paint on the hood
If you have the paint bubbling off your hood because you took off a heat shield you have bigger issues to worry about, the exhaust is not touching p against anything coupled with the fact there is a underhood liner to keep engine noise down and help in event of fire blah blah, if taking the heat shield off of the engine caused bubbling of paint then you would see alot of cars running around without hoods because turbos get real real hot and alot of cars come turbo or get turbed aftermarket and I have seen several turbos glowing at night and no paint damage. It is pretty much there for you not to touch it, which is why alot of manufacturers put the X over the hand image in case anyone is stupid enough.... Under hood temps are not going to sky rocket because the heat shield is off and if you have a true cold air intake or a stock intake then you dont have anything to worry about anyways because it is sucking air from outside the enginebay anyways and if your moving the air in the engine bay is changing so fast its not going to be any different then with a heat shield.... the only tie you would see a different is if you had that sucker running high rpm hot hot for a long time and then stopped suddenly and just sat there not moving revving it.... otherwise your fine ...... go find a car with black paint in the sun and put a thermometer against the paint and see how hot it gets just from the sun

The only thing that is really going to change underhood tempswould be forced induction or lighting a fire under there ..... soo if anyone ever says that their paint on their hood bubbled because they took a heat shield off that was a good distance away from the paint then just walk away because thy are not telling you the whole story or they have no idea what they are talking about. One of my cars is a supercharged v8 sports car with nitrous and its black and I have had that thing to where opening the hood just about burns your hand and then grabbing the prop to keep it open leaves marks and the paint on my hood is fine ....
Old 06-14-2008, 05:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's true, I don't have any idea if the heat would truly be a significant problem, but I'm not willing to give you any guarantees like AfterShock is. I'm very conservative, and tend to err on the side of safety with any of my input or recommendations to fellow Scion owners.

Do whatever you want; you posted what you did, and we have responded.

BTW, for what it's worth, I think it does look really good, I'm just not willing to do it myself until I hear that it doesn't present any problems over the long haul.

And AfterShock, your reasoning sounds valid, I'm just ignorant and unsure.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

would the manifold be kooler without the shield?
Old 06-14-2008, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

well im running the Strup header and that doesnt come with anything 2 block the heat oh and i have the TRD CAI and havent had no problems and it has been like that for 2 weeks now and its been running around like that with the no problems the only thing is that i have lights inside the engine and they get heated a little well bec. they are made of plastic but besides that no problem cathodes to be exact
Old 06-14-2008, 05:03 PM
SL Member

I mean its just newer things they do to cars that are overkill, older cars didnt have all the extra stuff and most of them were fine .... like the under hood liners, they are there to keep engine noise down and in case of fire the plastic tabs melt and it falls down on the engine potentially smothering the fire .... the shield doesn't go completely around the exhaust headers so heat is still getting out even with it on, its just mainly where any john or jane would possibly lean over or reach over if they were playing around in the engine bay and the heat shield allows for someone to get a burn without getting a BURN .... the only things really you have to watch out doing with reguards to heat are getting short ram air intakes because those especially ones off ebay that have no shielding around the cone are sucking hotter air from the engine bay rather then from outside the engine hurting performance a little and those performance chips off ebay for like 20 bucks which just have you relocated your air intake sensor to the front of the car so the vehicle is tricked into thinking it is getting cooler air into the engne changing fuel and timming curves thus enging up in your engine going boom and the service department laughging at you....
If the car was actually mine and not one going onto the dealership floor for sale after a few shows I would be doing alot more to it and having some more write ups for you but maybe I'll do some more with the next one they give me ...
Old 06-14-2008, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks better than I thought it would. Should be fine as far as underhood temps go but some wrap or professional heat coating wouldnt hurt. In the case of the coating Id just dish out the extra money required for an actual aftermarket header. Good job on exploring this though as I too have thought about it. I may have to do it lol.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ray18
well im running the Strup header and that doesnt come with anything 2 block the heat oh and i have the TRD CAI and havent had no problems and it has been like that for 2 weeks now and its been running around like that with the no problems the only thing is that i have lights inside the engine and they get heated a little well bec. they are made of plastic but besides that no problem cathodes to be exact
Please post if you have any problems. I'll have the same exact setup in a couple of days. I already have the TRD CAI, and am waiting on extra gaskets, just in case, before I put the Strup header on. I was wondering about that cover, and was hopeing It didn't have to go back on . I don't want to Hide the new Pipes If I don't have to.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

This is what I did to mine. Until I get a header then of course it will have to go.

Old 06-21-2008, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Redbeard46
Originally Posted by Ray18
Please post if you have any problems. I'll have the same exact setup in a couple of days. I already have the TRD CAI, and am waiting on extra gaskets, just in case, before I put the Strup header on. I was wondering about that cover, and was hopeing It didn't have to go back on . I don't want to Hide the new Pipes If I don't have to.
Been running that same setup for months now, no issues. and no, you dont have to put the heat shild back on. I love it

Old 06-21-2008, 11:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mad_Sciontist001
This is what I did to mine. Until I get a header then of course it will have to go.

That looks quite good. NICE job.