Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

xB2 Tsudo Dual Fireball Mounting question..

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default xB2 Tsudo Dual Fireball Mounting question..

I searched about this question, and found no info regarding it. I did post in the 6 page thread regarding this exhaust. I'm new to messin with cars, but have tinkered with motorcycles for years.

I recently purchased a Tsudo dual fireball exhaust for an 08 xB. It arrived quickly and in perfect condition (thanks speedelement).

http://www.speed-element.com/servlet/Detail?no=167

While looking over the installation instructions and the images online, I noticed the left pipe was pretty close to the rear ventilator box..it passes right over it, with (as stated) "at least 1/2" inch
of clearance. Instructions are also given to reroute a hose as it will obviously be in the path.

(instructions)
http://www.speed-element.com/instruc...ll_catback.pdf

My question is this: How hot do these pipes get? is a 1/2" clearance between a hot steel pipe and a plastic box (holding all the vacuum hoses) really sufficient? Washers were provided to shim
the hangers lower, but for that matter is 1" sufficient? Is it going to melt the box? There's not room for a heat shield, really... but I could wrap the pipe in heat tape, old school.

I've spoken with the nice peeps at speedelement, and Andy said he'd look over the initial kit installed, to see how it's holding up. I'd like another opinion, though . If anyone has this exhaust installed, how's it going?

My plan B is to just cap the Y and run single exhaust, but I'd rather run it dual.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-03-2021 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 06-17-2008, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for pointing it out! I'm still waiting to install mine (away from home), but I think I'll be inclined to install a heat shield of some kind -- either aluminum or tape probably.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

If you're worried, you could use header tape.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Hi all, thanks for the responses.

I installed it today. In the initial images from the prototype by speedelement, the pipe appeared to cross directly over the ventilator box...hence my apprehension. In actuality it passes over the rear of the box with about 1/2" clearance. I shimmed it out a bit with a nut (on top of the hanger bracket) to add another 1/2". It seems fine. I considered header tape, but as the pipe is pretty visable from the rear I decided against it. I might change my mind later. I fabricated a cap that can fit at the Y if it becomes an issue in the future, though. IMHO, there is little room to accomodate a heat shield, TrevorS. The hose (or cable) still required rerouting, but that was easy.

After installation I was underwhelmed to say the least. With the resonators in, it sounds pretty much stock. removing 4 allan screws and the 2 trumpets from the rear improved the sound dramatically.

It's throaty and deep. It doesn't sound ricey or raspy at all. It's beefy, but not incredibly loud (even without resonators) if that's what you're seeking. YMMV. I still have everything stock from the CAT forward, including headers and stock airbox, if that matters.

I dig these pipes. They are exactly what I was seeking. I'm not into attention from 5-0, so they are plenty loud for me.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

This is going to be requested, but I'm going to request now...

PICS!!!

I think it's an overall good looking kit, but I still like how the Borla tucks the crossover pipe up. But, with these tips/mufflers, that isn't possible.

I'm still waiting to see what else comes out.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
This is going to be requested, but I'm going to request now...

PICS!!!

I think it's an overall good looking kit, but I still like how the Borla tucks the crossover pipe up. But, with these tips/mufflers, that isn't possible.

I'm still waiting to see what else comes out.

It pretty much looks like the images already uploaded, and Mr. Poe really needs a bath, but here they are..

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2189/...8c0a8a.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3194/...7e37af.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2194/...618c77.jpg?v=0

and here's the aforementioned clearance question, answered:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3010/...c0a085.jpg?v=0

now, if the spoiler would just arrive...

Thanks to backyard baller for answering my Q yesterday so quickly!
Old 06-17-2008, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Looks good!!!

And you're good without the spoiler.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default xB2 Tsudo Dual Fireball

looks good dude!!!!

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-03-2021 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 06-20-2008, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So it sounds pretty nice without the resonator? Any chance you can get a sound clip of it without it? I like the way this exhaust looks but from the sound clips it sure sounds like nothing.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So it sounds pretty nice without the resonator? Any chance you can get a sound clip of it without it? I like the way this exhaust looks but from the sound clips it sure sounds like nothing.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by 1vicissitude

It's not loud, by any stretch of the imagination. After a week of driving it I personally am ok with it because if it were louder (at freeeway speeds) the cabin noise would begin to bother me. It's not going to turn any heads (which I prefer) . I've considered adding the cap I fabricated to the Y and bypassing the 2nd exhaust. I'd imagine this would increase the sound.

You're in Anaheim Hills, why don't you ask speedelement if you can see it in person? He's in the La Habra / Whittier area. If you like it you'd save 75.00 in shipping and just pick it up.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah Ill have to go check it out. I kinda wanted to rig up a dual exhaust with a flowmaster 80 series and a glasspack where the resonator is.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by 1vicissitude
Yeah Ill have to go check it out. I kinda wanted to rig up a dual exhaust with a flowmaster 80 series and a glasspack where the resonator is.

My apologies if i used incorrect terminology.

To clarify, I removed the bell shaped silencers at the rear of the exhaust, not the resonators (assuming the resonators are internal components in the actual muffler "can".
Old 06-29-2008, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

So gow you likeing the exhaust!!??
Old 07-02-2008, 10:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Installed mine in about 2 hours. Hardest thing was getting stock exhaust out. Hacksaw helped. I did re-route the the wiring to the black box. Easy, followed the instructions and it took 5 minutes. Likewise dissappointed with the sound quality. Don't want to remove the tumpets as suggested because it will reduce exhaust back pressure. Small 4 cylinders need back pressure for optimum engine performance.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

finely Fedex stop's and drop's off my Tsudo Exhaust today. Exhaust Look great!!! Cant wait to have this Bad boy installed sometime this week.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Been running the tsudo dual for several months. No heat problems with the vent box. Lots of city and highway driving.
Still have the trumpt resonators in. Yes, it's just as quiet stock. Would love to remove them But 4 bangers need suffient back pressure for perfomance and MPG
Old 08-20-2008, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Well Tsudo Exhaust is in and Loveing it. took about 40min to install for the guy's at the shop, went very smooth and quick. Sounds awsome and works great with my TRD intake. Will be uploading a video later on today so staytuned.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Lovin the exhuast - but only a few hours after installation (and driving around town and eventually home) I checked up on the exhaust (took a look underneath the rear bumper)to make shure all was well and noticed that the rear bushing on the passenger side was missing and the front bushing was loose. I took a look over to the driver side bushings and they were loose also. Having only one bushing caused the passenger side muffler to slighty sag along with the rest of the piping all the way back to the cat Installation was done by ASE certified professional mechanics and everything was fine before leaving the shop (I even watched them as they installed it) The only thing that could have been done to prevent this would be using a nut at the end of the rod through the bushings (which were not included or recommended by Tsudo or Speed-Element.com) Using two nuts to hold the bushings tight should be a quick fix but now to get another bushing
Anyone else have a similar issue with the hangers or bushings?? or any idea where I can get a replacment bushing??

Speed-Element any chance of resolving the issue witha replacement bushing??
Sorry for the novel....
Here are a few pics to better understand....

Rear View, Rod still supported but bushing missing.....