Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Premium Radio Extreme Issue!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 03:40 PM

Default Premium Radio Extreme Issue!

Hello, I have previously posted a problem regarding my speakers whining a while back and mentioned that my subwoofer amp had died and the whining stopped but now I found what caused the subwoofer amp to die and wanted other people to be warned to look for this on their premium radios (or any other radio). If anyone has a digital volt meter, especially if they have the premium scock radio for the scion, please go to your vehicle and check the DC voltage on your RCA's and post it in this forum. I am hoping that this particular radio is simply a defect but I want to get the word to as many people as possible because if this is a problem on most stock radios for the scion then everyone is going to have amps blowing up on them. I had contacted the manufacturer for my sub amp, maxxsonics, and they told me to contact CIA Engineering (http://www.ciaengineering.com/) which is their authorized amp repair factory. The person I spoke with there has 30 years experience and 3 degrees in this field and said if the amp is pushing around .009 volts DC to not worry about it but if its pushing .1 or .2 to warranty it because of it causing problems. I have not been able to test the front and rear speaker outputs yet but with no music playing through my stereo and the car started here are the readings, I will edit this later today when i get home from work to post the front and rear speaker outputs in DC:

Front RCA: 1.2VDC - Stable voltage
Rear RCA: 1.2VDC - Stable voltage
Subwoofer: 1.2VDC - Stable voltage

Please be sure when you post your results to use the same format as to ensure it will be easier for everyone who reads this thread to see results. I hope for anyone who does test their stereo that it will show up with zero VDC so that their amps are safe from damage through the RCA cables.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

most high quality head units put out way more than that.... my middle of the road kenwood puts out 4 volts - probably only on max....and I was running head units that put out almost double that.

look at crutchfields website and see how many head units put out more than 3volts.... higher voltage is a selling feature.....BTW- I ran the premium H/U for quite a while on a couple amps and had no problem
Old 08-07-2008, 07:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, but audio is AC. DC isn't supposed to come out of those RCAs.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:34 AM

Well Toyota wasn't wanting to honor the warranty stating that the H/U is working properly so yesterday I went to dodge to see what they could do for me and its looking like a very good deal so far, only problem is their stock H/U doesn't have pre-amp outs but its an high quality device. Its the MyGIG radio but I am supposed to run to Toyota later today after work for them to re-evaluate my stereo unit but the service at this dealership is crap. I've heard so many people complaining about it. Dodge is offering me higher than KBB for my xB right now and it would barely raise my monthly payment... I wish I had driven 45 minutes to the other toyota dealership because they are supposed to have way better service but now my IPOD is officially dead and this radio has claimed $350 so far, sadly the IPOD will be the expensive one to replace because it is out of warranty. I so have one question while I am posting, does anyone happen to know a good signal processor for converting high level input into pre-amp outs? gonna have to do that to the rear speakers in the dodge i'm looking at.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:22 PM

You are seriously considering a dodge over your xB?

Take your xB to the other Dealership 45 minutes away if they have better service. Any Toyota dealership can work on your car under warranty.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SnackMasterX
Well Toyota wasn't wanting to honor the warranty stating that the H/U is working properly so yesterday I went to dodge to see what they could do for me and its looking like a very good deal so far, only problem is their stock H/U doesn't have pre-amp outs but its an high quality device. Its the MyGIG radio but I am supposed to run to Toyota later today after work for them to re-evaluate my stereo unit but the service at this dealership is crap. I've heard so many people complaining about it. Dodge is offering me higher than KBB for my xB right now and it would barely raise my monthly payment... I wish I had driven 45 minutes to the other toyota dealership because they are supposed to have way better service but now my IPOD is officially dead and this radio has claimed $350 so far, sadly the IPOD will be the expensive one to replace because it is out of warranty. I so have one question while I am posting, does anyone happen to know a good signal processor for converting high level input into pre-amp outs? gonna have to do that to the rear speakers in the dodge i'm looking at.
You're going to TRADE in your xB for a DODGE? R U serious? Maybe it was the installation of the amp that killed your IPOD, amp and or radio. Just like the above post stated, take the 45min drive to the other Toyota dealership and have them check out your radio before you make the mistake and trade in the Box for a Dodge.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:53 AM

You're going to TRADE in your xB for a DODGE? R U serious? Maybe it was the installation of the amp that killed your IPOD, amp and or radio. Just like the above post stated, take the 45min drive to the other Toyota dealership and have them check out your radio before you make the mistake and trade in the Box for a Dodge.
Ohh no doubt, as of now even though they are offering a good deal I am not satisfied because of the sound system in it. If they will drop my monthly payment more and give me the boston acoustic system in the vehicle then I will sign the dotted line because the sound system and the payments are the main things holding me back. It would be nice to have the self dimming mirror as well but I'm not going to be that picky. As of now I don't see myself getting that dodge. I would rather dump an extra 3k and get the new VW Jetta that gets like 50 MPG. At this point I just want toyota to warranty the damn radio and I will be happy but I will never go back to that dealership again.