Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Does anyone know why our engine bay gets so hot?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Does anyone know why our engine bay gets so hot?

EDIT: I already got my answer guys, there's no need to respond anymore. Thanks to all who gave me actual answers.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's cause the engine is in there!

My guess is that it's b/c the exhaust comes out the front and the heat doesn't always dissipate through the bottom of the engine bay.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:05 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Is it over heating? How did you determine it's running so "hot". All cars run hot because that's what there operating temperature should be at.

Unless your needle is past the half way mark I wouldn't worry too much. Just make sure the coolant is full and you don't have debris blocking the upper or lower grilles. If you're still worried, buy some washers and extended bolts and lift the rear of the hood to let some of the heat out.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its a fine line for manufacturers.. hotter equals better MPG's, but less performance.. in todays market MPG's wins...
Old 09-05-2008, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow...that is am amazingly stupid question...and the thing is, they really don't get that hot. go stand next to my bro's mercedes cls550 and see how much heat that thing puts out while idling.

engines get hot because all they do is explode gas and air over and over again, so they get hot quickly, they are supposed to get hot, but not too hot, that is what the radiator is for.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ wow... The guys asks a simple question and you insult him... classy! and your bros mercedes will kick off more heat cuz it is a bigger engine (v8?)...
Old 09-05-2008, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
wow...that is am amazingly stupid question...and the thing is, they really don't get that hot. go stand next to my bro's mercedes cls550 and see how much heat that thing puts out while idling.

engines get hot because all they do is explode gas and air over and over again, so they get hot quickly, they are supposed to get hot, but not too hot, that is what the radiator is for.
Thanks a-hole, that is "am" amazingly useless response. Compared to my other car's engine, it's very hot or at least it SEEMS very hot compared to it. It wasn't something retarded like "why isn't it as cold as a refrigerator". I know this is a public topic, but could you consider not responding to this thread anymore? I don't need anymore useless garbage from you.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool down guys. No pun intended….

That's a very good question. I noticed that too. After placing my hand on the hood after a nice ride, the hood gets really hot. If you ever been under the car, all those plastic engine covers underneath don't help with releasing the heat or bringing cold air in either.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya the engine bay is pretty sealed up... I heard about this thing called the "ZIO mod" and he says it works AMAZING...
Old 09-05-2008, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The engine does not get too hot. I have a ScanGaugeII and it reads my coolant temp as 190 F during normal driving.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

It's because scion owners are so sexy
Old 09-05-2008, 10:00 PM

most engines with exhaust coming out of the front get real hot. both my tc and my integra get super hot
Old 09-05-2008, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Big_Bird
It's because scion owners are so sexy
BEST reason so far!!!! Totally true.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FromTheOld

Thanks a-hole, that is "am" amazingly useless response. Compared to my other car's engine, it's very hot or at least it SEEMS very hot compared to it. It wasn't something retarded like "why isn't it as cold as a refrigerator". I know this is a public topic, but could you consider not responding to this thread anymore? I don't need anymore useless garbage from you.
hey i turned on a light, and i noticed that it too got hot! and then turned on the stove, and it got hot, and then i boiled some water, and it as hot too, does anybody notice this?

ask a stupid question, get an appropriate answer. i'm pretty sure there are little warning stickers under your hood telling you not to touch things that get hot. it is supposed.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Hey spanky, I bet its exactly the same temperature if not actually colder than what ever your other car is. Truth to the matter is Toyota engines typically run cold. Where most domestic cars run at about 210degrees, the tC is at 180. I feel that I should tell you though, if you feed your engine ice cream it will stay cold and happy.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

That's what I like about you Drax, you tell 'em straight up! No BS...
Old 09-06-2008, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I already got my answer many posts ago from the guy with the Scan Gauge. You guys really don't need to reply anymore unless you're just attempting to make yourself feel better by insulting me.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Does anyone know why our engine bay gets so hot?

Is there any specific reason why? Is the cooling system sufficient enough, or does it need help, like the use of a radiator block-off plate?

lol i have alot more heat being generated in my bay then most huge manifold huge turbo a intercooler blocking radiator all that great kinda stuff my water tems never get over 210 with the ac on thats at a long stop say 30 mins with the car running my intake temps have seen 250 a few times second i start driving again it gets fine want to know a tip to keep it a little cooler open the hood take out the weather strip on the back give the air some where to go it will help alot
Old 09-06-2008, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Default Re: Does anyone know why our engine bay gets so hot?

Originally Posted by coryjames
Is there any specific reason why? Is the cooling system sufficient enough, or does it need help, like the use of a radiator block-off plate?

lol i have alot more heat being generated in my bay then most huge manifold huge turbo a intercooler blocking radiator all that great kinda stuff my water tems never get over 210 with the ac on thats at a long stop say 30 mins with the car running my intake temps have seen 250 a few times second i start driving again it gets fine want to know a tip to keep it a little cooler open the hood take out the weather strip on the back give the air some where to go it will help alot
^^^old school hot rod tip right there.