Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

1NZ-FE specs

Old 09-16-2003, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default 1NZ-FE specs

ok, i've been looking for as many specs as i can find on the 1NZ-FE. here is what i have. please post whatever you can find here as well. i'd like to compile a good list of features. thanks.

-1495 cubic centimeters
-75.0mm bore
-84.7mm (3.33-in) stroke
-dual overhead camshafts
(4 valves per cylinder via shimless bucket type tappets)
-valves inclined at 33.5°
-vane type VVT-i continuously variable intake valve timing device.
-valve diameters:
30.5 mm (1.20 in) for intake
25.5 mm (1.00 in) for exhast.
-cylinder block: aluminum with cast-in iron liners.
-cylinder and crankshaft centers are offset to reduce piston slapping.
-the NZ engine is placed transversely, canted rearward, with the intake side facing forward.
-the 1NZ-FE 1.5-L puts out 81 kW (110 hp) at 6000 rpm and 143 N•m (105 lb•ft) at 4200 rpm.

about the fuel system:
the scions have a fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter in the fuel tank. the returnless system means warm fuel from the engine bay does not return to the tank. the internal temperature of the fuel tank therefore stays cooler, reducing evaporative emissions.

about the VVT-i:
toyota’s intelligent continuously variable valve timing system is more advanced than the basic systems in some German luxury vehicles and Japanese small cars.
scions have the latest-generation TMC-developed vane-type VVT-i control, which debuted on Prius and Lexus IS200. VVT-i provides continual variations of the intake valve timing, to match the engine’s operating conditions. This improves performance and fuel efficiency, and reduces vibration on engine start-up and shut-down.

1NZ-FE's inlet timing can be varied over a range of 60 degrees relative to crankshaft angle, to provide optimum valve timing for the full range of driving conditions.

Inlet camshaft timing is varied according to engine revolutions, throttle position, engine coolant temperature and intake air volume. The maximum retard setting provides zero valve overlap. (There is a five degree period between the exhaust valve closing and inlet opening.) Inlet cam timing is set to the maximum retard position for engine start-up, operation at low engine temperature, idle and engine shut-down. The maximum advance setting provides 55 degrees of valve overlap.

VVT-i Activation:
the scion's VVT-i is a computer controlled and oil-pressure activated push- push type system. The engine ECU can command the system to advance or retard the inlet camshaft timing, thereby providing for faster response. The hardware is a camshaft timing oil control valve mounted adjacent to the inlet camshaft gear wheel and a VVT-i controller mechanism built onto the inlet camshaft timing gear. The camshaft timing oil control valve is a spool valve, controlled via a coil and plunger by the engine ECU. It can signal "advance", "hold" or "retard". The VVT-i controller consists of a housing on the front of the timing wheel, driven from the timing chain, and a four-bladed vane coupled with the intake camshaft.

when the engine ECU requires a change in inlet timing, it signals the oil control valve to provide oil pressure to either the advance or retard side of the four vane chambers. A locking pin in the controller locks the camshaft timing in the maximum retard position for engine start-up and immediately after start-up (until oil pressure is established) to prevent any knocking noise.

other features:

• a long-branch inlet system with resonator, to maximise low-to-mid range torque. The inlet system is made of plastic, to reduce heat transfer from the engine to the inlet charge and hence increase volumetric efficiency

• a plastic engine cover to reduce NVH and increase recyclability

• sequential fuel injection with multiple injector nozzles mounted in the inlet ports, for maximum fuel atomisation and reduced wall wetting

• a hot chip type air flow meter for the EFI, for more accurate air-flow measurement and hence more accurate fuel/air mixing

• stainless steel extractor-style exhaust headers, for maximum performance and durability, and lower emissions

• rearward-facing exhaust, which combines with double-walled front exhaust pipe to improve catalytic converter performance and hence reduce emissions. The catalytic converter has thinner walls to further improve heat-up rate and reduce emission

• a double ball-jointed exhaust pipe connector, to reduce NVH

• a two-stage muffler (as debuted in the Lexus range) to improve high rpm engine performance on the 1.5 litre sedan engine Additional fuel emission saving technology includes computer engine management, individual Toyota Direct Ignition for each of the four cylinders and electronic spark advance with a knock control system.

•the engine ECU determines the spark advance.

•serviceability improvements include Multiplex engine diagnostics (which can detect a malfunction and memorise details of the failure), a vertically installed oil filter and adoption of chain drive to the camshafts.

•the 8mm pitch roller cam chain has a lubricating oil jet and auto tensioner.

•the combustion chambers in the scion engine employ a tapered (oblique) squish design, to improve thermal efficiency and reduce the chance of engine knock (pre-ignition). the squish area has been shaped obliquely along the wall surface of the combustion chamber, improving airflow, promoting swirl and speeding flame travel.
the combustion chambers are almost entirely machined, to ensure minimum variation in combustion chamber volume across the four cylinders. special attention has been paid to cooling the combustion chamber, including provision of a water jacket between the exhaust port and the spark plug boss, to lower the operating temperature at the exhaust valve seat and improve cooling performance.

service mass of the 1NZ-FE engine is 187 pounds.

the 1497cm3 power plant delivers a class-leading 80kW (107HP) at 6000rpm and 142Nm of torque at 4200rpm. it has 16 percent more power and four percent more torque than the superseded 1.5 litre Paseo sports car. the capacity increase to 1497cm3 has been achieved by increasing the stroke from 73 to 84.7mm. unique features of the scions are its variable back-pressure muffler and slightly longer exhaust valve opening duration.

SCION MANUAL TRANSMISSION SUITS VVT-i TORQUE
scion xA and xB has a five-speed manual transmission, to suit the class-leading performance of its VVT-i-equipped engines.

clutch diameter is 212mm and facing area is 199cm2. the clutch has a diaphragm spring turnover mechanism to improve operability. the hydraulic control system for the clutch has an integrated reservoir tank and master cylinder to save weight and under-bonnet space.

sorry this was so long. i thought some of you might want to know.
Old 09-16-2003, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn, you posted a novel. now i got something to keep me company at lunch.
Old 09-16-2003, 04:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

heres an internal view of the 1NZ-FE engine
Old 09-16-2003, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

here are some more accurate pictures, randy.

Old 09-16-2003, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

oops sorry, I meant to post this pic of the 1NZ-FE engine
Old 09-16-2003, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: 1NZ-FE specs

Originally Posted by eric m.
(quoting specs)...the Toyota C154 five-speed overdrive manual transmission has tall ratios for fourth and fifth gear. the ratios suit the high torque of scion's 1.5 litre 1NZ-FE engines
Tall ratios compared to what? A VW bus? 3000RPM in OD at 60MPH isn't exactly what i would call "tall"!
Old 09-16-2003, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

there is no overdrive with the manual transmission (unless you count 5th gear), therefore the gear ratios for the auto are totally different. i did not post any automatic tranny specs since i figured people with that transmission are not into performance or technical information. sorry.

actually, the manual tranny has pretty short gears, but 4th and 5th are fairly tall compared to the first 3 gears, which are very short.
Old 09-16-2003, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there is no overdrive with the manual transmission (unless you count 5th gear), therefore the gear ratios for the auto are totally different. i did not post any automatic tranny specs since i figured people with that transmission are not into performance or technical information. sorry.

actually, the manual tranny has pretty short gears, but 4th and 5th are fairly tall compared to the first 3 gears, which are very short.
I was quoting the Scion specs which refer to a "5-speed overdrive transmission"

The term "overdrive" usually refers to a transmission ratio of less than 1:1. The Scion xB transmission ratios are 3.545 / 1.904 / 1.310 / 0.969 / 0.815, so both fourth and fifth are technically OD. However the 4.31 final drive ratio really shortens the gearing, so engine RPMs at cruise are quite high.

Of course real "overdrive" was a separate gearbox between the transmission and final drive. Fat chance of finding that on a Scion!

George
Old 09-16-2003, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

ha. calling it an overdrive is really a stretch. but if that's what they want to call it, ok. the gearing would be perfect if it was exactly the same but with a 6th gear, in my opinion. i love the short gearing but you run out of them so soon.

anyway, i think some of those tranny specs were from the echo, in which case it's a different thing altogether. so i think i will edit that part out. the engine stuff is all accurate though.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow! That's a pretty detailed description, thanks a lot for posting that here!
Old 09-18-2003, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ha. calling it an overdrive is really a stretch. but if that's what they want to call it, ok. the gearing would be perfect if it was exactly the same but with a 6th gear, in my opinion. i love the short gearing but you run out of them so soon.

anyway, i think some of those tranny specs were from the echo, in which case it's a different thing altogether. so i think i will edit that part out. the engine stuff is all accurate though.
The Echo gearbox ratios are identical to the Scion ratios. It is the final drive ratio that is different. IMHO they went a little too far in the change, but with people putting larger diameter wheels on the car they probably didn't want it to get a reputation as a slug.

George
Old 09-18-2003, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

ok, here is more information from the japanese toyota website. sorry if the translation is a little off:

(1) 1.5 1NZ-FE VVT-i engine
Acquiring recognition from the national traffic ministry U-LEV of all the car domestic highest levels as "super - an exhaust car *3 low". VVT-i (continual variable valve timing mechanism) actualizing the inhalation of high efficiency. As for low and medium-speed limits powerful and smooth. Also acceleration efficiency in the high-speed limits is complete. It has contributed to also fuel economy of course low largely.

1) BEAMS 1NZ-FE VVT-i
Maximum Power: NET 80kW (109PS)*1 /6,000r.p.m.
Maximum Torque: NET 141N m (14.4kg m)*2 /4,200r.p.m.
Displacement: 1.496L

In case of *1 4WD car, 77kW (105PS).
In case of *2 4WD car, 138N m (14.1kg m).
*3 2000 standard exhaust 75% decrease level

- BEAMS: Breakthrough Engine with Advanced Mechanism System
(The same aerodynamic volume displacement class worldwide top-level engine which assures the harmony with the society)
- VVT-i: Variable Valve Timing-intelligent (continual variable valve timing mechanism)

by the way, here is the error message you get if you type in a bad link:

Very much, there is no excuse, but there is no corresponding page.
We guide to the top page.

This page as for the one which is registered to the book mark,
It is the number of hands, but we request the modification of the book mark.

The Toyota Motor Corporation corporation

Furthermore, this page jumps automatically 5 seconds later.
* When it does not jump automatically, please click the above-mentioned link.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:30 AM
5 Year Member

"about the fuel system:
the scions have a fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter in the fuel tank. the returnless system means warm fuel from the engine bay does not return to the tank. the internal temperature of the fuel tank therefore stays cooler, reducing evaporative emissions.
"

That's what they say.....but to me, I think it saves the MFG some money because now they don't need to run fuel lines back to the tank. Seriously here now....if they can save literally $2.00 per car, they will.
Old 10-09-2003, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i think saving money is important, but reducing emissions is more important, which is probably the main motivating factor for the returnless fuel system. i see a lot of other ways toyota could have cut costs on the xB and they didn't so i am thinking it's an emissions thing.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think saving money is important, but reducing emissions is more important, which is probably the main motivating factor for the returnless fuel system. i see a lot of other ways toyota could have cut costs on the xB and they didn't so i am thinking it's an emissions thing.
The fuel return is a vestage of the old days when it was used to fight vapor lock. If the fuel lines got too hot the fuel would vaporize and the engine-mounted fuel pump wouldn't pump the vapor. The carb would run out of gas and there you would sit until the lines cooled and the vapor condensed into something the pump could pump.

With FI, a return allows more precise control of fuel pressure at the engine, but it is no longer needed for vapor lock, as the fuel is under pressure all the way from the tank. Apparently Toyota figured out a way to control fuel pressure adequately from the tank end.

George
Old 10-09-2003, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

hyundai, mazda, and honda also have returnless fuel systems in some engines i believe. must be the new thing.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member

How to improve the performance on the NZ engine? Specs as repeated from above:
1495 cubic centimeters
-75.0mm bore
-84.7mm (3.33-in) stroke
-dual overhead camshafts
(4 valves per cylinder via shimless bucket type tappets)
-valves inclined at 33.5°
-vane type VVT-i continuously variable intake valve timing device.
-valve diameters:
30.5 mm (1.20 in) for intake
25.5 mm (1.00 in) for exhast.
-cylinder block: aluminum with cast-in iron liners.
-cylinder and crankshaft centers are offset to reduce piston slapping.
-the NZ engine is placed transversely, canted rearward, with the intake side facing forward.
-the 1NZ-FE 1.5-L puts out 81 kW (110 hp) at 6000 rpm and 143 N•m (105 lb•ft) at 4200 rpm.

Enlarge the bore? - is there room? Custom pistons will be required if factory does not have a larger bore for this engine type.
Increase the compression ratio? Currently the ratio is 10.5:1 but this could be increased with new pistons or by lowering the deck by machining the head.
Increase the stroke? - already done! However it might could be extended a bit more, but by working the numbers it is already near the limit. Otherwise it will actually rob power.
It is already a dual overhead cam design so that is good.
New cams? - more lift and/or longer duration. These probably already exsist in Japan. Most likely will interfer with the VVT-i though.
More valves? - 5 valve design? Like the 4A-GE 5valve JDM engine? Very hard to do in your garage! Best bet there is beg Toyota to produce a new head design.
Valves at a differing angle? - GE head design has the valves at 43 degrees! This design has a better flow , especially for higher rpm. Again ask Toyota for a GE head for the NZ.
Larger valves? - Possible! It might be possible to use valves from the ZZ engine and have the head reworked. This would be a lot of work and would be rather expensive but might be a possible performance increase. The valve sizes for the ZZ-FE are 32.0 mm (1.26 in) for intake and 27.5 mm (1.08 in) for exhaust.
Modify the VVT-i? - Dual VVT-i or a programable controller? The Engine used in the JDM Altezza engine has dual VVT-i , one on the intake and one on the exaust , this allows for even more adjustability. The VVT-i is controlled by the ECM and so it would be possible to build an electronic adjustable controller. I know they have them for the Honda design but I am not sure if they are available for Toyota's. This would be a great upgrade as it is easy to install , just replace the computer{if it is adjustable by programming then it would need to be tuned but even that is not that hard}.
Some other ideas:
Headers - duh!
New intake manifold?
Larger throttle body
Oil cooler{does not give more performance but protects engine and keep it cooler allowing it to perform at it's best}
Cold air box{yes a box!}Just changing the air filter is not going to add much{even the claims of 6-10Hp are exagerations}However a true cold-air box will keep the hot engine compartment air from heating up the incoming air.
Better ignition system{does not really give much more power but allows the engine to run more efficently and smoother and allows it to rev a bit higher}
Turbo or supercharger
Many more minor things but they wouldn't give more than an extra HP or two.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

you forgot the most important thing...changing the rod ratio. that is the secret to getting lots of horsepower from a N/A engine.

i know for a fact that with the right tuning, you can make a scion with a 1NZ-FE faster than if it had a stock or slightly modified VVLT-i celica/matrix engine. you could totally put a deck plate on the 1NZ-FE and increase displacement to at least 1.8 liters. maybe more. there is a lot that can be done. it would just cost several thousand dollars. an engine as light as the 1NZ with 200whp would be awesome though.
Old 10-17-2003, 03:35 AM
5 Year Member

you forgot the most important thing...changing the rod ratio. that is the secret to getting lots of horsepower from a N/A engine.
I will be honest and say - what is "rod ratio"? and to what do you "ratio" it to? If you are saying rod length then that I would understand. I think this is what you are saying = longer rods but the stock crank then raise the deck to prevent the pistons from bashing into it. Is that it? Yes you are right this would increase displacement and thus increase HP , but it would be far more work and money that it would be worth. 200 HP is capable from just a good turbo or supercharger with the bottom end mods to hold it. I also forgot a different very important thing , head work - a three angle valve job , reshaping the ports and even the combustion chamber{or adding material if that is what is needed}. Proper squash is very critical for getting the most out of any engine. The head is easy to get to and can be removed without pulling the engine and it would only cost $500 or so - or do-it-yourself and save some{although the valves should be done by a shop unless you have the proper equipment}.
Old 10-20-2003, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

the rod ratio is a calculated number based on the stroke and the connecting rod length. i am not going to lie and say i know everything about engines and engine design, but here is some info i found on the internet somewhere:

-------------------------------------
Rod ratio is the center to center length of the connecting rod, in relation
to the stroke. For example an engine with a 6 inch long rod and and 3 inch
stroke would be classified as having a 2 to 1 ratio.
While there are different opinions on the ideal ratio, something close to 2
to 1 is considered to be optimum by most "experts", at least for a high rpm
engine.
Rod length has an affect on breathing, cylinder wall loading and friction
and where peak torque and horsepower are produced. A long rod runs at less
of an angle, in relation to the cylinder bore and puts less side loading on
the piston skirt. Also, since the piston is less likely to rock in the bore,
ring sealing is better too. The other advantage is that with a long rod, the
piston has more dwell time, at TDC and BDC. This allows more time (in
crankshaft degree) for cylinder filling, combustion and scavenging. This is
especially so, when the camshaft timing has been designed with the rod
length to stroke ratio taken into consideration. A camshaft that has been