Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

High current battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default High current battery

Okay so I finally istalled my system and now need to replace my battery as my lights are dimming slightly on lower bass notes. The dumb shop I went to used a distribution block with a agu fuse type so I cant turn the volume up past 1/3 for right now without blowing a 100amp fuse. I am working with them to replace it with an anl distributioon block but I'd imagine with volume at 1/3 and my lights are dimming I am going to have some real issues once the fuse situatioon is resolved.

I origanolly wanted a kinetic hc1800 as they fit perfect in the oem spot and have nice ratings. The shop told me they are not good to use as a cranking battery and recommended an optima yellow top. Which would be better? After the fuse problem I dont really trust thier knowledge.

What battery would you guys recommend for about 1600-1700 watts rms total system wattage? Also should I add the battery ontop of what I've got, or just swap the factory spot? I dont think I will be adding much more to the system in the near future as I'm happy for now with what I've got.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm probably wrong here, but wouldn't a capacitor fix your problem of dimming headlight? Also, I hear if your system draws enough current to warrant a new battery then you probably need a new more powerful alternator.

Sorry but I've never dealt with systems of that many watts before, so I'm not sure if my advice is good or not.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah A capacitor would help but they are more of a bandaid. I feel they only have thier place in helping with the really deep notes as they can dump thier power reserves very fast. A cap would be nice but I think I will look into one after the problem of actually having enough power is resolved.

An alternator would be great, but for my current power consumption I think getting one might be a bit of overkill.

I'm really hopeing someone can chime in as to whether the kinetics are okay to use as a cranking battery.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:52 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Upgrade the big 3 first

http://www.isyougeekedup.com/the-big...iring-upgrade/

as a side note, I was planning on getting the Kinetik HC1400 Power Cell and using it as a cranking battery (was told by a few friends that after the big 3 are upgraded, the Kinetik battery works fine for cranking and everything else)
Old 02-15-2009, 06:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Kinetik is designed to dump massive amounts of current, which is exactly what the starter requires. A cap likely won't do anything for your system, if its to the point that your headlights are dimming. Get a battery, put it under the hood, wire EVERYTHING up in 1/0, and put another battery under the passenger seat. You shouldn't have much problems with dimming after that, if you are, then you definitely need an alt. Heres a link to my BIG 3 install, it includes great pictures. I have a Optima D31T under the passenger seat, with the stock battery under the hood, though disconnected. I keep it there in case I ever kill the Optima, and need to get somewhere. Feel free to ask questions! Better to do it right.