Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

new exhaust

Old 02-16-2009, 06:45 AM

Default new exhaust

ok i know there are many threads on this but i need help. i have a 08 xb looking to put an exhaust on it. i understand that the pipes are already 2 inch pipes, so i think i just want to do an axle back set up. I want a set up that has some sound to it at idle and when you get on the gas but i dont want it really loud what do yall suggest. TRD axle back or custom. and if you say custom what should i use to do it?
Old 02-16-2009, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anything that is just axel back will have very little effect on sound loudness... You may change the tone a little, but that will be it because the "Scuba tank" muffles the exhaust to be a bearable tone and level...

Also for the amount you will pay for just the TRD axel back you could get the whole e-___ cat back system... I dont have it, so i am not sure how it sounds or the quality, but there are threads on here about it... This would be your best bet if you want a louder more agressive sound...
Old 02-16-2009, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would replace the scuba with maybe just a regular catalytic converter and then get an axleback. The axleback alone wont change the sound much meaning it wont sound that great. The scuba really ruins things for the box.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:55 AM

Whoa, is this the extent of intelligent exhaust discussion on this site, I assume by "scuba", you are talking about the "spun case resonantor"?

And put a catalitic converter on in its place? WTF?

No offense, but if you really don't know anything about custom performance exhaust, you really shouldn't offer an opinion.....
Old 02-17-2009, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^Dude you need to smoke a little something and calm down man, life is to short especially if your half way their, Lol.

Op, you really need to search this topic has been discussed too much. There is probably a sound clip for just about every exhaust combination out for our XB.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry grandpa, but we refer to it were as the scuba tank because that is what it looks like... We are all not engineering gods like you so please excuse our pathetic attemps to help others.... @$$!
Old 02-17-2009, 04:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by OprahsMinge
Whoa, is this the extent of intelligent exhaust discussion on this site, I assume by "scuba", you are talking about the "spun case resonantor"?

And put a catalitic converter on in its place? WTF?

No offense, but if you really don't know anything about custom performance exhaust, you really shouldn't offer an opinion.....
Wow, you are REALLY irate, it's sort of funny.

By the way, your advice was awesome. Oh wait, you didn't give any.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:36 PM
SL Member

I replaced my Scuba with a generic 13" resonator. & put on HKS axleback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8qqliSvRBs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvvRXH2Jbn0
Old 02-17-2009, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by OprahsMinge
Whoa, is this the extent of intelligent exhaust discussion on this site, I assume by "scuba", you are talking about the "spun case resonantor"? I think you mean "spun case resonator."

And put a catalitic converter on in its place? WTF? I think you mean catalytic converter. Many owners choose to replace the scuba tank with a high flow cat & resonator because that is what the ultra restrictive tank contains.

From the author of the book, "How to win friends and influence people in less than two days with only 5 posts."
Most of us try to help each other out, but if you enjoy the fire suit, have at it.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well said guys. Not to "jump" on grandpa but i'm his senior. Custom exhaust is ones personal taste. Some like it loud and mean, other's melow, and everything in between. Scuba is just a term we can all identify with. It comes from the ugly restrictive thing looking like a scuba tank.
Finally, chill opraph's, maybe watching her show will help you with those nasty hormones
Old 02-21-2009, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

figure id add my $.02. i just installed the stainless ebay catback. taking the old system apart was a pain in the ___. 52Kmiles of road salt and grime really rusted everything up.
once i got the old system apart the new one installed in 10 minuets. i cheated and used a lift but i dont think it would take too long on the ground.

anyway. the thing sounds great. i had a trd axle back and a straight pipe installed i place of the scuba. it was really good sounding but droned like a **** on the highway. this one is nice and mellow. it still makes noise but its much nicer.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:58 PM

any videos of it?
Old 03-02-2009, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by UNOHxB
figure id add my $.02. i just installed the stainless ebay catback. taking the old system apart was a pain in the butt. 52Kmiles of road salt and grime really rusted everything up.
once i got the old system apart the new one installed in 10 minuets. i cheated and used a lift but i dont think it would take too long on the ground.

anyway. the thing sounds great. i had a trd axle back and a straight pipe installed i place of the scuba. it was really good sounding but droned like a **** on the highway. this one is nice and mellow. it still makes noise but its much nicer.
Any video of before and after ?
Old 03-02-2009, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sugoxb2
Originally Posted by UNOHxB
figure id add my $.02. i just installed the stainless ebay catback. taking the old system apart was a pain in the butt. 52Kmiles of road salt and grime really rusted everything up.

Any video of before and after ?
no i dont but there is a video floating around on the forums with the stainless ebay kits.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm also looking into the E-bay exhaust and the only thing I'm worried about is build quality and how long the think will last.

Any input?