Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

AEM CAI Installed!

Old 05-05-2009, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default AEM CAI Installed!

Hey guys, just installed my AEM CAI today. Fitment was flawless, construction is extremely high quality. Not a single issue as far as the parts go on the AEM side of things.

Install *could* of took me under 1.5hrs, but ran into one big snag, the VSV bracket, the screw that holds it to the OEM bracket. It stripped trying to get it out and was going at it with various drivers for a while. I eventually busted out huge pliers to break it loose (thankfully) and was able to mount it to new intake. Looked like some type of loctite was used for it, big PITA! Stripped like crazy! haha, luckily they supply new mounting hardware

Anyway, Once the pipes were installed and tightened, MAF installed, and everything in place I installed the filter. I did NOT remove the bumper, NOR the wheel fender. I did it all from the engine bay. Mind you, im 6'6" and have pretty big arms. I removed the battery during install so I had more room, this in turn gave me enough room to get the filter on down to the end of the pipe, and using some crazy maneuvering I was able to hold the filter on while I got the socket down there to tighten up. Once "snug", I pushed up on the filter to ensure it was seated properly and then completely tightened. A little tricky, but saved me the hassle of removing anything for this. So it is possible! Just have to remove the battery completely to have a chance.

Once install was over I turned the car on, let it idle for a few minutes and then rev'd it a few times to make sure no CEL would come on. I then took it for a test drive and all was well. No weird noises, no CEL, no problems at all.

Overall it is way too early for me to say anything in terms of performance, I only have had a short little drive with it. As far as noise, under 3-3.5RPM the noise is the same as stock, 3.5-4.5 or so it has a light growl. Anything higher and it screams! Overall it sounds good. I think I have to "adjust" to the new sound before I give a detailed "noise review", but at this time, it has a slight "rice" sound to it. But it isn't too bad. I need more time to really get an opinion.

I *think* you will be able to run it as a SRI if you want, but not fully sure. I want to take some measurements tomorrow and see.

And finally, the pics!

Old 05-05-2009, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

aem products are high quality. I had mine since they borrowed my car from R&D and never looked back since
Old 05-05-2009, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsD0OyaAzqE

Video I posted of the 10-70mph acceleration and sound of the intake.