Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

LOC- Does it reduce wattage

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default LOC- Does it reduce wattage

ok. so i've searched and found a ton of threads on loc's and how to connect them and all.

i completely understand that

what i don't understand is this.

if i take the rear speaker signal since i only need one for my loc since im putting a sub in..

will the speaker i splice the loc into have reduced wattage

and if so is there a percentage or same or is it even noticeable

what im saying is, if i take the single + and single - wire coming from the factory deck and make it into 2 (1 into the loc and one to the speaker) will anything happen that makes the side i tapped into quieter than the other side..

thank u in advance
Old 05-21-2009, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

short simple answer = no it will not reduce wattage to any speaker you connect the LOC to. The LOC has to do with singnal "Voltage" not Wattage. All your speakers will play at the same volume
Old 05-22-2009, 01:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've wondered this myself in the past. I hear what you're saying IH8ONYU, but I would have to think that the LOC will at least steal a tiny bit of power from the head unit output. I really don't know as my physics is really really rusty.

Do you guys think think this makes sense (see below)?

This I know is true: amps x volts = watts, so watts and volts are dependent on each other.

What I don't exactly know is that if the LOC gets a little bit of that voltage then by the above formula, the wattage should decrease... right? Does that seem logical? It's totally possible that I could be missing something. I've killed a lot of brain cells in the past.

But, whatever the LOC takes is probably negligible as far as stealing enough power to have a perceived volume decrease. I have my HU powering my speakers and I also have a LOC giving a signal to my sub amp. I would have rather hooked up the LOC to the front speakers (makes fading out the rear possible without killing the sub), but I played it safe and hooked it up to the rear anyway.

But if IH8ONYU's right, then I might switch the LOC to my front speakers. What do you guys think? Any electronics gurus here?
Old 05-23-2009, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it does not make the speaker you hooked it up to quieter
Old 05-23-2009, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup. That's what I was implying. I'm pretty sure the LOC takes some of the power away (see the formula in my previous post), but its not enough to produce a perceived difference in volume. Remember, you have to double the wattage just to get a 3dB increase in volume. 3dB is a small step to our ears, and there's no way that the LOC is taking away half the power from the HU speaker outputs. So I'm going to consolidate everybody's answer to the original question.

Yes, the wattage will be decreased.
No it will not be noticeable. ('noticeable' being the key word)