Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Looking for a smooth bore TB spacer for tC/xB2 (2AZ-FE)!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Looking for a smooth bore TB spacer for tC/xB2 (2AZ-FE)!

I'm aware that TB spacers are dissed heavily, and it seems like the "vortex" (ie. spinning air) design makes little sense for our cars, but after driving with my ported TB and doing a fair amount of web research, including finding the below thread (Honda si), I'm interested in giving a smooth bore TB spacer a try.

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/bolt-...o-numbers.html

Since I haven't stumbled across one yet, I thought I'd ask if anybody else had. Know of any?
Old 06-14-2009, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think there are any. I checked the OBX, Power Aid, and House of Billet and none are smooth. The first two are "vortex" types and the HoB is totally different - but still not smooth.

I honestly don't think it would make any difference at all smooth or not. You have to consider that the example you're showing is a HONDA. Not a Scion... the engines are 100% different.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, they're different engines, but they both have TBs, plenums, intake manifolds and injectors. I figure at absolute worst, it would be a coin toss and there would be as you say, no change, but on the other hand, there could be . Smoothing out my TB bore has made a very noticable difference, and to add another 3/4" of equal or better smooth bore before the plenum should only help stabilize flow, not hurt it. I've always been lousy at 50/50 bets (coin toss), but this is one I think I might win !

Still, if there truly are none, that kind of takes care of that! Since the tC has been around for a few years, it seems like there could be one marketed for it. I posted in that forum as well, never can tell!
Old 06-14-2009, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Look man, save your money. Its true an upper polish helps, but the spacers are a joke. Also, lets face it, with the 2.4 you aint gonna see much more power than an exhaust and intake unless you add some forced induction.

Spend the money on style mods!
Old 06-14-2009, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah -- I hear you! Most of the prices I see for the vortex spacers aree $80 or more, and that's a bit stiff for 1HP and maybe 2lb-ft. This stuff is pretty tough to gauge anyway without dyno runs to nail down where you were and where you got to (if anywhere). But, if I could pick up approaching 5lb-ft with a spacer, that's pretty darned attractive ! I really like the WeaponR 4-2-1 header (low and midrange performance), but it's boku bucks and I've no idea what losing the first cat would do to my Delaware emissions inspection ! (Of course, then there's the scuba -- hardly helps performance !)

2.4L is the biggest engine I've had outside of the 350ci mouse in my long gone Chevy C10. Well, it could pull a reasonable load, but it wasn't especially powerful. The xB2 could beat the pants off my Eclipse GSX (2L) before I replaced the frozen turbo, but with the replacement and a few mods I've done since then, the pecking order has been re-established ! However, I can remember day one driving that xB2 off the lot, its performance was a far cry from what it delivers today, and I can't help but be on the lookout for cost effective opportunities to leverage it further.

The TB port is appearing a nice boost, and since it basically hinges off of improved flow into and out of the TB, that suggests a little more distance to establish flow velocity before hitting the plenum could make a further difference. (I really don't understand the claim that rotating the air mass increases the mass-flow velocity, I would expect that to have the reverse effect due to greater wall friction.)
Old 06-20-2009, 10:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my understanding is that a tb spacers main benefit is that it allows the fuel/ air to mix better before entering tb. therefor you maximize your fuel and less goes to waste. right? I think everyone expects a tb spacer to do a lot more than it ever will
Old 06-20-2009, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by drewsxb808
my understanding is that a tb spacers main benefit is that it allows the fuel/ air to mix better before entering tb. therefor you maximize your fuel and less goes to waste. right? I think everyone expects a tb spacer to do a lot more than it ever will
Actually, the TB just gates the air flow, the fuel is added later. With carburetors and injectors located at the base of the TB, a spacer can help mix the fuel with the air to provide a more uniform distribution in the combustion chamber.

I don't readily believe there is a mixing advantage in engines such as ours (individual injector at the end of each intake manifold runner), but potentially, there are flow advantages and an increase in effective plenum size that could impact performance. Those possibilities interest me.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ cool, that makes sense.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by elwaylite
Look man, save your money. Its true an upper polish helps, but the spacers are a joke. Also, lets face it, with the 2.4 you aint gonna see much more power than an exhaust and intake unless you add some forced induction.

Problem is, I can't verify the spacers are a joke, perhaps some are not good, but perhaps some are! The TB port and polish had what I consider to be a significant impact on performance (no, no dyno). The only way I can explain that is a reduction in turbulence at the plenum entrance (primary turbulence offender being located after the TB throttle plate). To me, this suggests an appropriate spacer could further reduce turbulence, and thereby further improve performance. On the other hand, perhaps a non-smooth bore spacer just acts as a band-aid on a turbulent TB, and so anything but a smooth bore spacer is liable to be counter productive on a ported TB.

Relative to upgrading the exhaust, that seems to translate into dumping the scuba. Well, if your State allows that, fine, but mine has become pretty persnickety about emissions. That may also affect the possibility of upgrading the exhaust header (deleting the first cat). I've done what I think is safe, an intake and a catback, plus the TB port. The spacer might be the last opportunity, but which one (if any )!
Old 06-21-2009, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by elwaylite
Aargh -- I've spent most of my xB2 dollars on style mods -- latest being eyelids. I'm hoping the aftermarket eases up on products that snare me that way, they really add up !