Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Anyone think that the new Alpine HU with nav is a downgrade....

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 02:50 PM
SL Member

Default Anyone think that the new Alpine HU with nav is a downgrade....

From the SNS (Scion Navigation System) I mean smaller screen on the new Alpine HU (4.3") it does not use DVD navigation, instead it is like the portable navs you can buy from the store (like TOMTOM), I just don't think it looks as good, what are you guys thoughts?
Old 10-06-2009, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

IDK maybe its simpler to use. Ive only messed with HU Navi on the D3 and thought it was a little too complicated for driving and typing ish in lol. The new mazda 3's have this same small screen navi too but Idk how the interface is. I like the simplicity of my Garmin.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:34 PM
SL Member

Yah, that is true that the new Mazda3 GT has a small screen, but....it looks professionally done. Have you seen it? Looks so nice compared to what it looks like in the Scion xB. Here's a vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIfcyI9-hnc
Old 10-06-2009, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionxB2ndgensuperfan
From the SNS (Scion Navigation System) I mean smaller screen on the new Alpine HU (4.3") it does not use DVD navigation, instead it is like the portable navs you can buy from the store (like TOMTOM), I just don't think it looks as good, what are you guys thoughts?
As I have only used the Alpine HU w/Nav, it seems to me the only difference is the screen size. So far, the smaller screen hasn't really been an issue for me.

I think the two main benefits of the new HU are that 1. It is cheaper than the SNS and 2. The customer can choose whether they want the nav option, which further lowers the price.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

downgrade or upgrade it doesn't really matter since you can't really choose which factory-installed system you want. you get whatever is allocated for you depending on the year of the vehicle. besides, i don't think a smaller map is that big of a deal if you're driving the voice directions are telling you where to go. you should be looking at the road and not the map.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:56 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by onions
downgrade or upgrade it doesn't really matter since you can't really choose which factory-installed system you want. you get whatever is allocated for you depending on the year of the vehicle. besides, i don't think a smaller map is that big of a deal if you're driving the voice directions are telling you where to go. you should be looking at the road and not the map.
Good point, but I'm looking at this from a stylish point of view. A larger screen screams more luxury or upscale system in my opinion.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Scion Driven Girls

I have used both and I prefer the larger screen on the Scion Navigation System (SNS) on a style and media point of view. It was a trade off for me due to the auxiliary support for 2010 xB models and HD radio capabilities of the Alpine Premium Audio System (APAS). I however, cannot stand that:

- I have to "agree" with the safety contract every single time I start my car before I can use the navigation functions.
- The startup is much slower on the APAS compared to the SNS.
- APAS voice navigation sounds distorted, robotic, and interrupts music.
- The APAS has dual ***** to navigate menus when it's much easier to use the touch screen. IMO, it's just a waste of space and a larger screen could have been used instead.
- The buttons feel and sound cheap

I must agree with Stuntman Mike on the APAS about the ability to upgrade though. I just wish there was still an SNS available for 2010 xBs...

How does your APAS voice navigation sound? Mine sounds really bad, so much that I opt to turn it off even when I don't care if it interrupts my music. I'd like to know others opinions in case I need to take it back to service to have mine checked/fixed.

Last edited by JediBaja; 10-07-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:23 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by JediBaja
I have used both and I prefer the larger screen on the Scion Navigation System (SNS) on a style and media point of view. It was a trade off for me due to the auxiliary support for 2010 xB models and HD radio capabilities of the Alpine Premium Audio System (APAS). I however, cannot stand that:

- I have to "agree" with the safety contract every single time I start my car before I can use the navigation functions.
- The startup is much slower on the APAS compared to the SNS.
- APAS voice navigation sounds distorted, robotic, and interrupts music.
- The APAS has dual ***** to navigate menus when it's much easier to use the touch screen. IMO, it's just a waste of space and a larger screen could have been used instead.
- The buttons feel and sound cheap

I must agree with Stuntman Mike on the APAS about the ability to upgrade though. I just wish there was still an SNS available for 2010 xBs...

How does your APAS voice navigation sound? Mine sounds really bad, so much that I opt to turn it off even when I don't care if it interrupts my music. I'd like to know others opinions in case I need to take it back to service to have mine checked/fixed.
I agree I wish SNS was still available for 2010 xBs. I personally hate the APAS and I might when I have the money upgrade to aftermarket (I need to make sure my steering wheel controls and IPOD/Aux/USB still work though).

I am not at all impressed with the sound quality. I feel like it was a waste of of money for this factory add-on.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:35 PM
SL Member

I am considering putting one of these in my yaris. do they offer the preouts and sub control the upgraded pioneer head unit did? if not, ill just buy the pioneer
Old 10-14-2009, 06:53 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by nikbrewer
I am considering putting one of these in my yaris. do they offer the preouts and sub control the upgraded pioneer head unit did? if not, ill just buy the pioneer
yes, it has pre-outs and sub control on the Alpine HU. However I wouldn't waste money on it. I would use that money to go and buy a really nice after market HU.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:55 AM
SL Member

i was very happy with the 08 premium pioneer one i put in my 1st gen xb. Sounded good to me. I may bu yone of those again, as they ar eebay for about 200$ now. However, the alpine seems to work nice, and i think it would match the yaris dash and gauge colors well
Old 10-17-2009, 07:08 PM
SL Member

Might as well get: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218092150853 which is just as good as the Alpine HU for a much cheaper price.

Or:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218092173585 with a larger screen.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just picked up my car on saturday and opted for the apas + nav. i too wasn't impressed with the audio quality until i started futzing around with some of the presets and the sound improved dramatically. i haven't actually tested the nav voice yet, but i'll report back when i do.