Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Release Series 6.0 AVIC-F900BT problems

Old 11-05-2009, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Dynasty
SL Member

Default Release Series 6.0 AVIC-F900BT problems

Ok,

Ive had my headunit replaced once in my new RS6. And now its crapping out again. This morning i go to turn the car on, the "splash screen" shows up as its loading, then it just shuts off. No buttoms on, nothing.. Pretty much just shuts off... Anyone else having this problem??? Something easy to fix or am i gonna have to take it to the dealer to be replaced a 2nd time...
Old 11-05-2009, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I haven't had any problems like that with mine, it just takes 10 years to boot up when I start the car. Drives me nuts!! I do sometimes have a problem with it freezing my ipod though.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a F700BT and haven't had any problems with it.

Head over to www.avic411.com, there is a great community and lots of support available for that headunit.

Edit: seems like a common problem. Check out this thread with a 'fix':
http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=27155

It looks extremely involved. Not sure if you would want to do it vs take it back to the dealer.

Last edited by AndreyCo; 11-06-2009 at 12:45 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:14 PM

Hey Mad.....

I have an RS6.0 myself and my 900bt did the same thing about a month or so ago. The boys at avic411 call that bricking (you are left with what amounts to a brick in your dash do to the fact that it is as useful as a brick). Been to the avic411 site and it is very helpful. Got the car in early August. I took it back to Scion and they replaced it. Haven't had a prob with it since. I suggest you take it back to your Scion dealer again and let them deal with it. Since this is covered under warranty. You should not have to troubleshoot it yourself.

There is a mod on the avic411 site to bypass the e-brake lock out so you can have access to nav modes which you normally have to have the e-brake set and car in park.

With the history of problems with this unit I hesitate to use the Avic-Feeds and to update it to 3.0 for fear of bricking the darn thing again.

Good luck and keep us posted as to your outcome with this issue.

Ski
Old 11-08-2009, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Dynasty
SL Member

Appreciate it guys, i bought it back to my dealer... Luckily i work at a Toyota dealer and they help me out... They are going to replace it for a 2nd time, hopefully 3rd HU is a charm. LOL
Old 11-10-2009, 03:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

my friend had one in an rsx and it worked great, never had a problem. im about to get it put in my xb
Old 11-11-2009, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, it looks like mine just "bricked". I've had the car 2.5 months and put 2100 miles on it. The radio/nav worked fine on my way to work this morning, but when I went to lunch it was dead. Same behavior os the OP. Splash screen comes up for 25 - 30 seconds, and then nothing. No lights in the "menu" and "map" buttons, nothing on the screen, no signs of life at all.

I did try to reset the unit, but all that did was cahnge the color of the "menu" and "map" buttons from my preferred red to an ugly pink color during the 25-30 seconds when the splash screen is displayed.

Looks like it's time to call the dealer and set up an appointment to get it replaced. This sucks. I can't stand driving around without anything to listen to.

PDX_xB
Old 11-16-2009, 06:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Took mine in to the dealer last Friday. Took them an hour and a half to pull the radio out and get the serial number off the back so they could order a new one - and they scratched my dash (the silver trim piece that surrounds the climate controls ) in the process (grrrrr!).

So, I have to call them back tomorrow and tell them to order a new trim piece to replace the one they scratched, wait for my new head unit to come in and then take the car in for a day to get it installed. Man this sucks. I hate driving around without any tunes.

It also has me totally demotivated to work on my custom sub enclosure. I was originally going to work on it this weekend, but with no head unit to hook it up to, I figured why bother.

I just hope this is a one time problem and I don't have to get my head unit replaced every 2.5 months.

PDX_xB
Old 11-20-2009, 05:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, my new AVIC arrived at the dealer yesterday and will be installed tomorrow morning. Hope this one lasts longer than the first one did.

PDX_xB
Old 11-20-2009, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, my new AVIC is installed in my RS6.0. Going without music for a week and a half was brutal. Nice to have it back. I didn't miss the nav so much, but I did miss the blue tooth support for my phone.

Now, I just have to restore all my custom EQ settings, re-sync my phone and contacts, load my custom splash screen, etc. and I'll be back where I was before this all happened.

Of course, this was all handled under warranty with no charge (including replacing the dash trim panel they scratched when they removed the old head unit to get the serial number off the back).

PDX_xB