Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

True 2.5" full exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 07:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default True 2.5" full exhaust?

Does anyone know of a true 2.5" full exhaust for the XB2? The ebay kit appears to be mostly 2.25" and then there's the over-priced and probably too loud 2.25" Magnaflow kit and the too loud 3" CXR kit. I want a true 2.5" ID full exhaust that doesn't sound like a riced-out Honda. TIA.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

try this: http://www.hopupracing.com/exhaustheaders62.html

http://www.ptuning.com/html/Item-Des...l&ModelDesc=xB
Old 03-02-2010, 10:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks but no joy. It appears that I'll have to go with CXR or custom. IMO 2.25" is okay for NA but I'm boosted.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Update for those interested in a 2.5" exhaust. I just ordered the WR 2.5" S-pipe from ERZ Performance for $182 with free shipping. Now the next step is to have a custom scuba-delete center section made. I'll be keeping the TRD axle-back cause I like it.

Any suggestions for a resonator or high-flow cat to replace the scuba are welcome. I want to keep it fairly quiet.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good for you! Cant wait to see the outcome Aeroflow muffler or Magnaflow hi flow spun cat for resonator delete?
Old 03-08-2010, 05:57 PM
SL Member

kkk Just remember the resonator has a cat in it! (hence the list price is over 800$)... I have a cat delete and when I got a ref ticket the guy went like ape ****

What I did was a simple between the bolt 13" generic resonator keep the raspy sound out..

Name:  PIC-0085.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  26.2 KB
Name:  PIC-0084.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  28.5 KB

Here is a vid so you can hear the outside.

Name:  100_0682.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  89.7 KB

Reso delete, hks axle back, TRD intake... and all the other common goodies

P.S! if you get pulled over and ur car is found to have no cats... In cali they can crush ur car if the cop is a dick
Old 03-09-2010, 07:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XD40tC
Good for you! Cant wait to see the outcome Aeroflow muffler or Magnaflow hi flow spun cat for resonator delete?
Thanks for the suggestions. Since I've already deleted my primary cat, I'd feel better (greener?) if I used a hi-flow cat. I'm still learning about the pros and cons of ceramic vs metallic cats so if you have any input on this I'd appreciate it. Also, I assume that the oem scuba is 2.25" I/O but I'm not sure. I would definitely want 2.5" I/O instead.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 08bspxb
kkk Just remember the resonator has a cat in it! (hence the list price is over 800$)... I have a cat delete and when I got a ref ticket the guy went like ape ****

What I did was a simple between the bolt 13" generic resonator keep the raspy sound out..

Reso delete, hks axle back, TRD intake... and all the other common goodies

P.S! if you get pulled over and ur car is found to have no cats... In cali they can crush ur car if the cop is a dick

Thanks! MD is not quite the police state that CA is... close but not quite. I really appreciate the video you posted. My car sounds very similar right now and I'm looking for a bit more sound. I guess I'll install the new s-pipe, see how it sounds and go from there. I doubt the s-pipe will make much if any difference.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
I'm still learning about the pros and cons of ceramic vs metallic cats so if you have any input on this I'd appreciate it.
My understanding is that ceramic cats sound better and are far cheaper, but don't last near as long as the more expensive titanium (metal) cats that also have a tinnier resonance. Oh the pros & cons of it all.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
My understanding is that ceramic cats sound better and are far cheaper, but don't last near as long as the more expensive titanium (metal) cats that also have a tinnier resonance. Oh the pros & cons of it all.
To add to the confusion, metallic cats generally flow better and are more tolerant of rich air/fuel mixtures but are less tolerant of high temps. I can confirm that our oem primary cat is metallic but I don't know about the secondary cat in the "scuba tank".

Leesee, turbo engine... higher EGTs, richer afr, no backpressure desired and lots of $$$ already spent. +2 for ceramic cat, +2 for metallic cat...

indeed.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good thing I don't have to worry about these questions, since I'm terrible at juggling.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So am I! Yet I keep trying... I often look too far into things for my own good. If I just bought any old hi-flow cat and never questioned ceramic vs metallic, I'd be much happier. Ignorance is bliss.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So am I! Yet I keep trying... I often look too far into things for my own good. If I just bought any old hi-flow cat and never questioned ceramic vs metallic, I'd be much happier. Ignorance is bliss.
I would go with metalic, I have a 86 sr5 with a rotary and had a highflow ceramic cat blew out in chunks after a couple hard pulls. Rotarys are known for high egts. I really thought metalic core were more tolerant to high egts.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also I think Strup is 2.5" all the way up to the scuba so a piece of straight pipe and resonator your good to go.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tainoxl
I would go with metalic, I have a 86 sr5 with a rotary and had a highflow ceramic cat blew out in chunks after a couple hard pulls. Rotarys are known for high egts. I really thought metalic core were more tolerant to high egts.
You can cast molten steel in a ceramic mold but perhaps there is something about ceramic cats that makes them less temp tolerant. All the race cats seem to be metallic. I hate to pay twice as much but metallic is probably the way to go.

I'm pretty sure the TRD AB is 2.5" so all I really need is to replace everything between the s-pipe and axle-back. It's nice that Strup already includes the scuba to axle-back pipe but I prefer the TRD AB to Strup.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:58 PM

Update for those interested in a 2.5" exhaust. I just ordered the WR 2.5" S-pipe from ERZ Performance for $182 with free shipping. Now the next step is to have a custom scuba-delete center section made. I'll be keeping the TRD axle-back cause I like it.

Any suggestions for a resonator or high-flow cat to replace the scuba are welcome. I want to keep it fairly quiet.
Well I just wasted some time making a new thread
How do you like that S-pipe? Did it make any performance difference? I have the TRD eBay knockoff exhaust, but I think the WR s-pipe is larger and so I was looking into buying one, would you recommend it?
Thanks
Old 03-13-2010, 07:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2008GoldenToaster
Well I just wasted some time making a new thread
How do you like that S-pipe? Did it make any performance difference? I have the TRD eBay knockoff exhaust, but I think the WR s-pipe is larger and so I was looking into buying one, would you recommend it?
Thanks
It hasn't arrived yet so I really can't say much about it. I've seen photos of it laying next to the oem s-pipe and it looks like it would flow better. It's 2.5" mandrel bent vs the oem that necks down from 2.5 to 2.25" and is crush bent. IMO to really benefit from the s-pipe you need to do the entire exhaust from the head to the tip. Otherwise, it's probably only good for the same 2-3whp you get from an axle-back, maybe less.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:18 PM

Thank you. I am planning on buying the weapon R header and s-pipe package so well see how that works out.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2008GoldenToaster
Thank you. I am planning on buying the weapon R header and s-pipe package so well see how that works out.
I think you'll be pleased. That should net you about +10whp and sound great. Just be careful about replacing the scuba. A few have done a header with scuba-delete and it gets very loud and raspy.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just found out that the WR s-pipe I ordered is on back-order and won't be available until late April. I cancelled my order. I have an appt next week to have a custom mandrel-bent 2.5" exhaust made from s-pipe to axle-back with a hi-flow metallic cat. I called today to ask how much more for the s-pipe and was quoted $100. That seems very reasonable. Total cost is estimated at $400-500.

So, should I proceed with the full 2.5" custom exhaust or buy the CXR 3" and have a cat installed in place of the resonator? Just how bad is the CXR fitment? The CXR 3" costs $300 + $100 for the cat and probably $50 for the install. How much more work does the CXR exhaust need so it doesn't hit anything or scrape on speed bumps?

Quick Reply: True 2.5" full exhaust?