Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Broadway Blue Rearview Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 07:45 PM

Default Broadway Blue Rearview Mirrors

Hi Gang,

I have a couple of questions regarding the "Blue" tinted mirrors that some of you are probably using.

Over the years I have acquired somewhat of a skill in picking out police cars on the highway (by shape and color). It's a money saving skill.

How hard is it to distinguish car colors in cars that are behind you (far or close) when using the blue tinted mirrors?? Also, what's the effect with the blue mirrors if you have factory tinted back & rear windows AND you're wearing sunglasses?

If it's tougher, which mirror would you recommend? I really like the look of the blue ones but I don't want to sacrifice cool for tickets.

Also, does the 300mm mirror (convex or flat) completely eliminate the blind spots on either side?

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2010, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I have a clear one so cant answer the blue questions but as far as blind spots I have the 240mm convex one and I can see out both side windows so the convex does let you view more, but there is always a blind spot because the mirror can not see through your rear c pillars. I reccomend the convex although it takes a a week or two to get used to the convex mirror if you are used to a standard mirror.

Also the convex mirrors make things look father away and has the "objet may be closer than they appear" disclaimer on them.

Last edited by ImportCarSite; 03-16-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a convex blue tinted one, and honestly, You cant tell the shapes anymore of the cop cars, I used to have the same ability, and as soon as i started using the new mirror, It was impossible to tell, Everything is just to damn small, blind spots are gone but cant see the coppers. lol hope this helps
Old 03-17-2010, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the blue broadway mirror and I guess it depends on what youre looking for, the blue one provides good protection against those people with blinding lights and driving with their hi beams during night time, but you sacrifice visibility behind you during night. With my tinted windows I cant see anything behind me out of my blue broadway if the object isnt producing its own light. I would rather have the normal broadway mirror so I can see behind a little more clearly at night, but if your windows arent tinted as dark, you shouldnt have a problem. As for the broadway mirror itself, it doesnt completely get rid of your blind spot, but pretty much the only thing you cant see is whats directly behind your c-pillar, otherwise it does a great job of giving you a wider picture of whats behind and to the right of you. Id recommend the clear broadway mirror if you dont mind the glaring lights from people at night as much.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I use imported ones from Japan on my xB and during the day I can pick out cars easily. Here in Jacksonville, FL, though, most cops are in undercover cars: Chevy Impalas, Dodge Chargers, Dodge Challengers, white Chevy Astros, Silverados, etc.

Things appear smaller in the distance because my mirrors are convex, but honestly my visibility at night isn't hurt. It looks the same as it always did to me.

Honestly, it's worth it for the blue tinted mirrors.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How about a link to what you are talking about? The center rear view?
Old 03-18-2010, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Napolex Broadway mirrors
like these.
http://www.advancespeedshop.com/napolex-m-34.html
Old 03-18-2010, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whoops sorry. I was talking about my side mirrors. Totally got thrown off by the blue mirror thing. I haven't swapped out my rearview mirror.

When I bought my box it came with the auto dimming rearview mirror. Never looked back. lol
Old 03-18-2010, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a plain clear convex Broadway. Dunno the size. I wouldn't say it gets the blindspots. What it does do however, is see the entire back window and all the lanes, not just the lane directly behind you. This is useful, but remember that everything gets smaller, so its harder to make out small details.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:26 PM

I started this thread for a couple of reasons.

1. I was hoping to eliminate blind spots 2. I was hoping to still be able to pick out the constabulary in my mirrors. :-)

It seems from reading posts that wether you use tinted, flat or convex you will still have to do shoulder checks when changing lanes unless you're really keeping an eye on the traffic. If that's the case why bother with a convex mirror if it distorts things. Tint aside, why not just stick with a Broadway flat mirror which gives you a better view than the stock mirror? Wouldn't that be the best route for reasons 1 & 2 above? Sell me on which is better - flat or convex?
Old 03-18-2010, 04:00 PM

One other thing I was trying to avoid (but will eliminate the blind spots) is putting those small convex mirrors on the side mirrors. I don't like the look of them but they would solve the problem.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you adjust a certain way, you might be able to pick up the blind spots. I angle my side mirrors more than most and still do head checks. The broadway mirror lets you see all the lanes behind you, nice for keeping an eye on traffic. Try it out...
Old 03-18-2010, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

personally i like my convex mirror although it is a personal choice, but no matter what you should always look over your shoulder when makeing a lane change, second quit running from the cops and drive safe lol.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Has anyone ever thought of the NASCAR style multi panel rear view mirror? It's big & ugly but it has no blind spots. Just a thought.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:53 PM

I just ran across this:

http://www.cartalk.com/content/featu...alkMirrors.pdf

It's a new way to adjust your side mirrors to eliminate any blind spots. Not sure if it'll work on an xB but with a Broadway mirror it just might. If anyone has a Broadway mirror can you try this and report back to us if it works. Do the blind spots go away???
Old 03-19-2010, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by zzmac
I just ran across this:

http://www.cartalk.com/content/featu...alkMirrors.pdf

It's a new way to adjust your side mirrors to eliminate any blind spots. Not sure if it'll work on an xB but with a Broadway mirror it just might. If anyone has a Broadway mirror can you try this and report back to us if it works. Do the blind spots go away???
Sorry, I was hoping someone with a FLAT Broadway can try this. Thanks!
Old 03-19-2010, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

I don't know what some of you guys are talking about. I have a 270mm blue convex mirror in my box and I love it. It helps with glare at night and I don't lose any night visibility. I can see clear as day at night. I can still pick out cop cars pretty easily although they do look further away now. I lvoe my mirror and hate to use stock mirrors when I switch cars.

My only gripe is that when you hit bumps, the mirror will tilt down because of the added weight.

I can't speak for the blindspots since I have an xB, but I would assume it would help greatly in the xB2.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:47 PM

The 300mm CONVEX mirror is the winner. I tried the flat mirror and it really wasn't any better than my stock mirror. All I could see was the back window.

The Convex mirror though allows me to see the back window and both rear side windows. The curve is slight and I don't find that it distorts anything much at all. Maybe the cars look a touch smaller and a bit further away but it's easy to get used to. And the blue tint is subtle.

This mirror is actually better for keeping an eye on the men in blue because they can't sneak up on my blind spots now from an onramp.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hrmm good to know.
i need a new one cuz my ex gf accidentally broke my last one >.<