Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Spare tire sub pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Spare tire sub pics

Hey guys I was wondering if you can post up some pics of any sub boxes you built for the spare tire. I'm specifically looking for boxes that use up the space on the right hand size.

I want to build a downward firing sub so I can keep it all looking stock without cutting the spare tire cover. The one area of concern is next to the strut tower there is a little bump that I'll have to work around. You can see it in this pic below:

With the space I'm working in it's really tight working around the JBL GTO804 subwoofer that I will use. The box will be ported since I have almost exactly .6 cubic feet. Here's a 3D render of the subwoofer box.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ahh yes this is very easy haha

Take the foam peice and trace it. I would cut the little pieces that hold it up and set it down as low as your can so you can make a cover palte. thats my problem right now
Old 10-12-2010, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by oreoremix42
Ahh yes this is very easy haha

Take the foam peice and trace it. I would cut the little pieces that hold it up and set it down as low as your can so you can make a cover palte. thats my problem right now
Yeah I was going to keep the box the same height so the coverplate will fit it it just right. I was also going to just glue on some wood tabs in the right places to hold the foam cover up. Good tip on tracing with the foam, I was going to trace with the plastic box.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No don't keep it the same height. When the subs are mounted in the height will be hard to deal with a cover plate. Like cut the edges off!
Old 10-12-2010, 05:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

kinda like this?

Name:  017-1.jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  72.3 KB
Name:  028.jpg
Views: 1613
Size:  96.1 KB
Old 10-12-2010, 01:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would suggest that you do not do a down firing sub there. Not unless you are going to deaden the area extremely well. That is an area of large flat sheet metal that resonates just in normal driving, let alone with a sub firing right in to it. You might be better of firing it and the port up and building a new cover that has a grill built in to it and covered in acoustically transparent trunk liner.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you sure you have enough airspace to port that sub? that's a tiny box and you might be better off running it sealed for sound quality purposes.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by randomsuper
you sure you have enough airspace to port that sub? that's a tiny box and you might be better off running it sealed for sound quality purposes.
I thought so too until I looked at the specs. These subs require small boxes! They call for a 0.6 cu. ft. enclosure including sub and port displacement and its tuned to 40 Hz. Sealed it only needs 0.3 cu. ft. Only thing I would recommend is to run a subsonic filter so that you don't over-tax the sub on the lower end.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Greg S
I thought so too until I looked at the specs. These subs require small boxes! They call for a 0.6 cu. ft. enclosure including sub and port displacement and its tuned to 40 Hz. Sealed it only needs 0.3 cu. ft. Only thing I would recommend is to run a subsonic filter so that you don't over-tax the sub on the lower end.
yes, the sub requires .6 cubic feet for a ported box. The area of volume is around .67 feet according to the CAD drawing but I'll lose a little space from materials. It's a very highly rated sub by the folks at DIYMobileAudio.

Greg S I think I'm going to take your advice about down-firing. I wanted it to be a simple installation in case there's an interest in mass producing these.

I can get the cost down to about $75-$100/unit for the first 100 but I don't think the demand is there.

Because of that hump near the strut tower, that makes down-firing very close and probably out of the question without a complex design. I don't want to glass anything up and looks like the easiest solution would be upward firing.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The GTOs have always been good since they came out, just need some good power put to them. What S/N do you use on DIY? I use the same one as here but haven't posted on there for awhile.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

its not hard to glass the bottom of the box to mold the floor shape. we did it in mine to make it work with the space we had behind the air tank
Old 10-13-2010, 06:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

2010-01-06 23.40.15 by xseveredveganx, on Flickr
Old 10-13-2010, 09:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by phatchef
its not hard to glass the bottom of the box to mold the floor shape. we did it in mine to make it work with the space we had behind the air tank
I'm not stranger to fiberglass but I'm getting old and I don't like the smell and the time it takes to do it right. Back in the day I used to like to make everything fit right. Now if I can do it all out of wood it makes it a lot simpler and cheaper. I remember one of my cars with 2 15s and a single glass wall that kept getting blown out. It took about 3 tries to finally get it strong enough. I got the walls built to 1" thick because I was sick of it. At the prices of materials now and cost of my time an endeavor like that might cost me $2k to do it all over.

What S/N do you use on DIY? I use the same one as here but haven't posted on there for awhile.
I'm therealdeal74 on there but I hardly post. It's one of those forums where you have to be really longwinded and I think they do a great job without me already. I see a lot of people experimenting with crazy subwoofers on here and playing via trial and error. Spend 15 minutes searching on that site and you won't have to make any mistakes...
Old 10-14-2010, 09:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, turns out that the Google Sketchup volume calculator was very inaccurate with the curve. When I straightened out the curve with a larger volume, I got .42 cubic feet so it looks like I'll be staying sealed.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:45 PM

Got my xB in the shop right now, getting a jl 13.5 thin sub put in the spare tire area. Pics up soon!
Old 05-29-2011, 08:07 PM

Sounds really good, JL 13TW5-3 w/ a sealed enclosure and an Alpine MRP-M1000.

Name:  P1010110.jpg
Views: 998
Size:  78.4 KB

Name:  P1010111.jpg
Views: 2316
Size:  88.8 KB
Old 05-30-2011, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ nice! how much did that run you?^^^
Old 05-30-2011, 03:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heres my project today.

Sealed the box portion up tonight, will connect the two tomorrow and Tuesday ill put the felt over it and fully install it. Will be so nice to get my cargo space back.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by r2d2michael
^^^ nice! how much did that run you?^^^
I payed a little bit for the install, but I got a really good deal on the sub, and I already had the amp. I usually do my own sound installs, but it was worth it to have it professionally installed.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What are you all using to adhere the carpet? I used 3M super strength adhesive spray and it didnt work at all. carpet pulled right off this morning.

Quick Reply: Spare tire sub pics