Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Noob looking for ideas or advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 03:04 AM

Default Noob looking for ideas or advice

So I know practically nothing about cars. I did change my oil for the first time by myself earlier this week, so I'm learning.

But, what kind of mods should I start doing first? Im really interested in finally doing something with my Xb.

What kind of Subs/Amp should I get? Is the stock (basic) head unit suitable for a couple of 10"?

How do I change my headlights to that bright ___ blue?

Where can I get cheap paint, and do I have to get a certain kind of top-coat?

What kind of soldering iron should I get to solder on new LEDs for the instrument cluster color conversion?

What kind of exhaust system could I get to have dual pipes on each side of the rear bumber?

So many questions, please have patience.
Thanks
Old 12-03-2010, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats a big list of ish to do if u dont know much about cars i wouldnt even think about taking that cluster apart and changing the led's unles your experience is high with soldering that ish takes hours and alot of patience.

as for bright blue lights check the sponsor classifieds i got some HID lights for 35 shipped and had them over a year still working 100%

and what r u painting exactly...
paint isnt something u go cheap on.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by speedy000
paint isnt something u go cheap on.
Damn straight. Toyota's paint job on our xB's are already cheap enough.

For dual exhaust, you'll want to invest interest in these two: Borla Dual Exhaust or Tsudo Fireball Dual Exhaust. The Borla sounds ricey, if you're into the fart can sound. The Tsudo comes with a silencer to quiet it down, but you can remove it if you want to convert to that V4 Fart Can sound.

For HID's, you'll probably want about a 6000k HID Kit. That will give you a nice blue tone and let you see at night. Hint: the more blue you go, the less road you'll see. So, the higher the temperature, the more color you get (8000K gets you a deep, deep blue), but at the sacrifice of light output.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member

The HID kits sold here in the classifieds have served me well so far, I installed a 3k kit back in the end of September. 3k is very yellow but looks awesome on my ARM and so far I've had no static from the cops. I agree with the above poster you want to be in the 4k-6k range if you are looking for just higher output and a different from stock look.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Revolt Imports
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

What kind of Subs/Amp should I get? Is the stock (basic) head unit suitable for a couple of 10"?
Pretty much users choice. Everyone has their own opinions

How do I change my headlights to that bright ___ blue?
I ordered my 3 sets of HID's from hidextra.com. Very good company to deal with, and very good LED's. Got one set in my xB and 2 in my Tundra

Where can I get cheap paint, and do I have to get a certain kind of top-coat?
As stated, don't go cheap on this

What kind of soldering iron should I get to solder on new LEDs for the instrument cluster color conversion?
Lowest wattage one you can find. Mine is a 20 watt. Takes about 30 mins to do a swap on a 2nd gen.

What kind of exhaust system could I get to have dual pipes on each side of the rear bumber?
I have the Borla and love it! Yes, has a bit of a ricey sound to it, but I'm also running a Weapon R intake and Strup header. Without the header it has a nice tone to it.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:36 AM

Thanks a lot for all the tips you guys...

I don't really want the ricey sound, but you can't really get a v8 roar with a 4 cylinder.

I just wanted to get some touch up paint from a scratch from a shopping car.

Is there a certain wattage with an amp? What's the deal with 4 channel or two channel?
Old 12-04-2010, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Revolt Imports
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

4 channel is to run 4 channels, ie 4 speakers, and 2 is for 2, or you can bridge a 2 and run 1 sub.