Notices

Nightmare of a time with Low Pressure Tires..

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member

Default Nightmare of a time with Low Pressure Tires..

Hey all, haven't been on these forums in forever but I'm a bit desperate. I own a 2008 tC and have stock rims. I live in Ohio and we frequently get very cold weather. I know this can affect tire pressure. But only by a few psi if my knowledge is correct.
I frequently lose tire pressure in my tires by 10-15 psi every other day or so. I've been dealing with this for around a year and a half now. Ive replaced about 5 tires in that time, because Firestone has told me that the problem is my tires but it still happens.
Once the summer/spring comes the problem starts. For example today my low pressure light came on and I filled the tire back to 30psi. I was driving to work and by the time I got there it was down to 20.

I have no idea what it could be. One time both of my front tires were completely flat one morning. I bought a compressor from Walmart to keep in my car and filled them up and the next day they were almost flat again.
I know aluminum rims don't seal well when it's cold but I feel like losing 10-15 psi in a few days is ridiculous.

Has anyone had this problem? It's really costing me money getting new tires or the rims cleaned and the tires resealed every month or so.

Any advice would be appreciated
Thank you

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-09-2020 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 02-05-2015, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's your TPMS system in the tire is blown and needs to be rebuilt bud. It happens, and air leaks by. Places do it for next to nothing, or just get a new TPMS for a bit more.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member

Is the TPMS in the tire or the car itself? Just curious as to if I need to leave the car at the shop or just the tire
Old 02-06-2015, 12:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No no no, just the TPMS in the tire. It's leaking through the valve.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You are only having the problem on ONE wheel, correct?

If this is beyond the diagnostic capability of your tire guy who has replaced 5 tires due to this problem, it's long past time to find a new tire guy!!! That's incompetent bordering on endangerment. Yikes
Old 02-16-2015, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member

heres an update. I did take my car to a different tire shop.
I was told that my car had a cracked TPMS sensor and they fixed it.
Still didn't fix the problem.
Three days later I went back because my tire was STILL losing pressure at 15 psi per day (ish)
They put the tire in the dunk tank, no bubbles, no air leaking ANYWHERE. I was sent home and told that the tire was fine.
Well, I did more research and decided to try to replace the valve stem core. Yesterday, I took my tire off, replaced the valve stem core, and refilled the tire. No hissing from the valve, and it held the pressure. I put the tire back on the car last night, and it was reading 31 PSI on my handheld gauge.
Woke up this morning, reading was still 31 PSI. I thought I had fixed the problem. I drive to class (not even a mile from my apartment) and by the time I sit through a 50 minute class, then drive a half a mile back home, my TPMS light is on, and the tire has went from 31 PSI to around 15.

I've given up. I don't know what to do.

Does the fact that my tire only loses pressure when I drive narrow it down at all? The tire held the PSI all night, then when I drive for three minutes, it drops 50%
Old 02-17-2015, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you've replaced the TPMS assembly/valve stem, and that didn't solve the problem, and you said you've replaced the tire and that didn't solve it either, then the only thing left is the wheel, right? Find a used OEM wheel on craigslist and have your existing tire and TPMS put on it.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Replace that damn wheel... my god dude, that's just horrible. What a mindf**k dude.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If your looking for a wheel I can sell you one, as a matter of fact I will be driving to Pittsburgh to get a tattoo on Saturday. Ill send you a PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Sooby
Hey all, haven't been on these forums in forever but I'm a bit desperate. I own a 2008 tc and have stock rims. I live in Ohio and we frequently get very cold weather. I know this can affect tire pressure. But only by a few psi if my knowledge is correct. I frequently lose tire pressure in my tires by 10-15 psi every other day or so. I've been dealing with this for around a year and a half now. Ive replaced about 5 tires in that time, because Firestone has told me that the problem is my tires but it still happens. Once the summer/spring comes the problem starts.
For example today my low pressure light came on and I filled the tire back to 30psi. I was driving to work and by the time I got there it was down to 20.
I have no idea what it could be. One time both of my front tires were completely flat one morning. I bought a compressor from Walmart to keep in my car and filled them up and the next day they were almost flat again.
I know aluminum rims don't seal well when it's cold but I feel like losing 10-15 psi in a few days is ridiculous.
Has anyone had this problem? It's really costing me money getting new tires or the rims cleaned and the tires resealed every month or so.
Any advice would be appreciated
Thank you
Could also be the rims as well, I would assume they are aluminum wheels. As aluminum corrodes it can cause issues on actually seating the tire bead against the rim.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:06 AM
5 Year Member

sgtfluffy16, this is from march last year but you might be able to help me with my post...
Old 04-08-2020, 11:51 PM
SL Member

Bumping a really old thread here, please forgive me, but I have had 3 bent rims in the past year just from potholes (South Carolina roads suck!). Every single time, the bend has happened on the inside of the rim, just enough to break the tire seal and make it unusable...