Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

2009 xb component speakers and crossovers

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 09:32 PM
SL Member

Default 2009 xb component speakers and crossovers

I finally upgraded my HU to a Kenwood KDC-HD545U. I will be putting in some new speakers in the rear doors (Bost. Acust. S65RC) and keeping the front speakers for now. I do not want to deal with running an amp but I may end up changing out the front speakers with the BA S60 components because they have a high sensitivity rating. My question is if I do that were are the crossovers for the existing OEM speakers and where would I put the new ones. I am totally new to this but have some ability to adapt and conquer..ha..
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I also plan on matting the doors when I do the speakers to help cut down on some of the road noise. thanks.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

There aren't any crossovers on the 08-11 xb2 front speakers. They use a small series capacitor to keep the low frequencies from destroying the tweeter. The full range speaker in the door and the tweeter are parallel on one set of wires coming from the deck. So in saying that, unless you want to figure out how to fish two sets of wires through the factory frame to door boot then you'll have to mount the crossover inside the door in order to take advantage of the factory wiring. If you're running outboard amplification, you'd want to do that anyways. If you're running those speakers off the deck then you should be golden.

If I remember correctly from when I did mine, there were nooks on the interior portion of the door panel where you could stash a small crossover box, otherwise, just run new wires and place the crossover inside the passenger compartment. Especially if you live in a wet climate.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:49 PM
SL Member

Thanks for the info!!
Old 01-16-2011, 05:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good luck getting any mid bass off the power from a headunit. the tweet might sound fine though.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The xB's door has a few good places to mount the crossover. I have mine near the back of the door. Lots of space there. Just Gorilla tape the wires to the door and up to your speakers. Later on, get a good amp. They're not that hard to install ( a couple of hours at most) and they'll really make your BA speakers sing. You'll need to buy or make your own speaker brackets (1/2 plywood and a jig saw and you're set). As to really good speakers in the rear door: you won't hear them much, since the front seats block the sound (audio rule: if you can't see the speaker, you can't hear them well). And the Gorilla tape? Better than duct tape, stronger and water resistant. Keep the rest of the roll in the carrier over the spare tire.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:52 PM
SL Member

@KaneoheKoa-- thanks for the position site. for the brackets will tracing the old speaker housing be a good reference or does some one have a pdf of some tracings? An I may end up doing a amp but for the rear speakers the BA that I got were only 52.00 so I really shouldn't go too wrong on those. I figure it should at least help a little. did you put the crossover under the panel or inside the actual door?

@Randomsuper- Yeah I know that an amp is always better to really get the best performance from the speakers but I am going back to school and have limited time and recreational cash so maybe one day I will. I hope that maybe the deadening that i put in will help to bring some of the bass out. I don't really need a lot of bass though.
thanks for the responses
Old 01-17-2011, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I put my xover onto the door itself (2 screws). Just make sure when you drill that you vacuum up all the metal chips. When you pull off the interior panel, you'll find lots of places to mount.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:54 AM
SL Member

The higher sensitivity helps, but hu power is crappy. An amp is def needed for components