Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Exhaust for power..

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 08:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Exhaust for power..

So trying to decide what to do to open my exhaust up without it sounding loud, a am perfectly happy with just my axle-back trd now. I am looking at replacing the header, possibly s-pipe. Trying to decide if I should replace the pipe from the s-pipe to axle back or not (where the scuba tank is).

Who has used what header with good results? I have found DC sports, Strup, Weapon R. I am leaning towards the Strup right now.

Who has used what S-pipe? Weapon R the only one I can find for 2.5". Do not want 3".

Has anyone replaced the rest of the exhaust without it sounding like poo? I am wanting to pick up as much as I can without the typical exhaust rasp/noise.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you wont pick up much even with a full 2.5 inch exhaust...dont want 3 inch thats only for FI...

a s-pipe aka downpipe they all do the same besides the oem one,they make the exhaust tone a bit louder cause of the even gas flow...would you gain extra ponies,yea maybe 2-3....a header if you get one,it will make the car louder and raspy depending on if you go catless or not or take out the scuba tank,if you do take out the scuba tank its goona be raspy
Old 01-27-2011, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

2.5 is going to be your max size for an NA. Any larger and youre going to lose back pressure which is not healthy. If your running a turbo I would go with a 3". It is going to be hard to get a lot of power out of standard bolt ons.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I said 2.5" was what I was looking for in my first post, I know any larger is useless. I am not looking for real power out of this, just would like to know for future mods my exhaust is doing its part. I just didnt know when the rasp started to come in. I was hoping some of you xb people have tried various header/exhaust combinations
Old 01-28-2011, 12:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Gutling
I said 2.5" was what I was looking for in my first post, I know any larger is useless. I am not looking for real power out of this, just would like to know for future mods my exhaust is doing its part. I just didnt know when the rasp started to come in. I was hoping some of you xb people have tried various header/exhaust combinations
yes,dont expect much power from it,when you add a header you will get rasp,my buddie took off is scuba tank on his with the stock exhaust,and it had rasp,but the fast the gases can get out,the over all better performance you will have...I/E/H/P should all give a decent gain
Old 01-28-2011, 01:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Unless you remove all the catalyst which would mean the pre-catalyst on the manifold and the scuba, all of the other mods you described are worthless. That is why the TRD is only axle back. My long time shop (where I once worked) has already pulled the scuba and confirmed that it is a cat/muffler combo which is why Toyota doesn't do anything more than the goofy resonator/tip axle back.

Sucks huh?

You can always go sans emissions control, but what a PITA to redo your exhaust every time you have to go in for emissions testing!
Old 01-28-2011, 10:11 AM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Leave it how it is or it'll be loud and raspy. Knew a guy local who had header, s-pipe and trd exhaust and it was very loud on his xb2.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

I have 3" piping on my car down pipe to tip but I left the scuba tank that thing adds more then enough back pressure. It sounds cool but its still about the same performance I would presume. my exhaust has a low rumble but at the same time its still pretty quiet.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Pasquale
my exhaust has a low rumble but at the same time its still pretty quiet.
Can we get a sound clip kind sir? I know it won't be like real life, but I'd love to get a better idea of it.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

We installed the CX Racing full 3" s-pipe back on my buddy's n/a xB. It's loud, but didn't seem raspy. No cold air intake, no aftermarket header. Just the exhaust.
It sounds pretty nice. Just loud. Lol!
Old 01-31-2011, 12:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
We installed the CX Racing full 3" s-pipe back on my buddy's n/a xB. It's loud, but didn't seem raspy. No cold air intake, no aftermarket header. Just the exhaust.
It sounds pretty nice. Just loud. Lol!
most exhaust on a na car will sound nice.....but its the header..once u put that on,its all over..why would you do 3 inch on na..youl have no back pressure
Old 01-31-2011, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Originally Posted by my06tc
most exhaust on a na car will sound nice.....but its the header..once u put that on,its all over..why would you do 3 inch on na..youl have no back pressure
Well... thats kinda of true. There are a lot of other things you have to factor in. If you run 3 on a NA you will lose back pressure if you also delete the scuba tank. The scuba tank it going to be 80-90% of where all your back pressure comes from.

I'll see what I can do about getting a sound clip.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

As for the "scuba tank" i have acces to all data at my school and i check on the exhaust diagram for xb2 and its not a car its just a resinator might be mistaken for a cat because of its design and its internal components. All toyotas have this. The cat is installed next to the headers on newer cars because of emmisions to get a better reading thats why the o2 sensors are bwfore the cat and after. One reason toyotas are really soft is because of this resonator. For example the civics of today are louder than toyotas but because they are not resonated they are a sttaight design no restriction from the header and cat combo all the way to the pipe. I mean their not loud but they have some sound
Old 02-26-2011, 10:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
Scikotics
SL Member

here's what I did.... I don't think it adds ANY power, but DAUMN it looks SICK!!!!

Name:  2011-02-2595150044.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  45.0 KB

Name:  2011-02-2595150055.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  36.3 KB

BTW.. NO MUFFLER!!!!! all straight pipe.. sounds AH MAY ZING!!!!
Old 02-26-2011, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I basically did the same thing, straight pipe from the scuba back, RS 7.0 style center exit exhaust, and it sounds very throaty, not buzzy. When I had the Fujita CAI on it was much louder, with the stock intake it sounds clean and well stated.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by A-snell
here's what I did.... I don't think it adds ANY power, but DAUMN it looks SICK!!!!

BTW.. NO MUFFLER!!!!! all straight pipe.. sounds AH MAY ZING!!!!
Looks really cool Andrew! I hope heat won't be an issue, doesn't look like much clearance from the rear fascia.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mudvayne2k6
As for the "scuba tank" i have acces to all data at my school and i check on the exhaust diagram for xb2 and its not a car its just a resinator might be mistaken for a cat because of its design and its internal components. All toyotas have this. The cat is installed next to the headers on newer cars because of emmisions to get a better reading thats why the o2 sensors are bwfore the cat and after. One reason toyotas are really soft is because of this resonator. For example the civics of today are louder than toyotas but because they are not resonated they are a sttaight design no restriction from the header and cat combo all the way to the pipe. I mean their not loud but they have some sound
The "scuba tank" does incorporate a second cat and a resonator. Your school's info is incorrect. Toyota parts are expensive but even Toyota doesn't charge $800 retail for a resonator assy.

BTW A-Snell, that exhaust exit looks sweet!!! I may steal that idea if I can figure out a suitable reverse light re-location scheme.

Last edited by ScionFred; 02-27-2011 at 06:39 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Gutling
So trying to decide what to do to open my exhaust up without it sounding loud, a am perfectly happy with just my axle-back trd now. I am looking at replacing the header, possibly s-pipe. Trying to decide if I should replace the pipe from the s-pipe to axle back or not (where the scuba tank is).

Who has used what header with good results? I have found DC sports, Strup, Weapon R. I am leaning towards the Strup right now.

Who has used what S-pipe? Weapon R the only one I can find for 2.5". Do not want 3".

Has anyone replaced the rest of the exhaust without it sounding like poo? I am wanting to pick up as much as I can without the typical exhaust rasp/noise.
When choosing a header it's more about fitment and quality than sound or even hp. W-R probably adds the most useful power due to it's 4-2-1 design but I believe Strup might have an edge in fitment and quality. DC Sports and CXR basically cost less. I went with CXR and had to do quite a bit of dremel work, filing and tweaking to make it fit properly. OTOH, Strup's header seems to lower the s-pipe so that it may contact a frame brace under the engine. Not sure about W-R or DC fitment.

I can tell you that the combination of CXR header, stock s-pipe, scuba, mid-pipe and TRD axle-back sounded great. Very little rasp, resonance and much deeper and quieter than the average ricer's Honda.

IMO the Strup header and TRD AB would meet your stated goals very well. If you'd like to free up a few more ponies, replace the tiny stock 1.8" ID mid-pipe with 2.25" ID pipe. Replacing the 2.25-2" s-pipe won't add much without replacing the scuba and mid-pipe which gets expensive since you'll need a very good hi-flow cat/resonator setup to replace it.

A header is the biggest bang/buck change at +10whp. Changing out the rest of the exhaust system might gain another 10whp but at a higher cost per hp. FWIW, it cost me a grand to get my exhaust to sound the way I wanted after going turbo. It already sounded great with the CXR header and stock exhaust into the TRD A/B.

For reference:

http://www.importtuner.com/powerpage...rs5/index.html
Old 02-28-2011, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
Scikotics
SL Member

Trevor- my last set up sat even closer to the bumper.. for 2 years... no problems. on this one there is around 1/4 - 3/8" on all sides. the hole is approx. 4" and the tip is only 3 1/2". I really like the NO MUFFLER sound.. My last set up was straight pipe out the rear. I passed DEQ with flying colors. So, running with no muffler should be ok.. I say should be cause I don't want anyone holding me to that claim.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Super cool dude ! Looks great and I'm sure sounds same !

Quick Reply: Exhaust for power..