Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

is this a good setup?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member

Default is this a good setup?

Im looking to put a subwoofer in my 2011 xB and I'm not looking for anything too fancy or expensive. I'm not looking to shatter my windows, but I do want to improve my sound a little bit better. That being said, I found a set up that I think would be good, but i would like the opinions of people that really know what they are doing...lol.

This is what im looking at:
Kicker 10ZX400.1 ZX-Series RMS Class-D Monoblock Amplifier
Kicker CompVR 07CVR122 12-Inch 2-Ohm DVC Subwoofer
Scion Xb 2008-11 Passenger Side 12" Subwoofer Enclosure from fgseonline.com
Old 06-05-2011, 06:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I question the need for a dual voice coil sub on a monoblock amp. The amp is rated 400 watts into 2 ohms. To use the CompVR driver, you'll need to run the coils in series (resulting in a 4 ohm load and getting less wattage from the amp) or parallel (resulting in a 1 ohm load and risk damaging the amp). You'd be better off with a 2 ohm single coil sub. What will you be running for your front stage speakers/amp combo?
Old 06-05-2011, 07:31 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by KaneoheKoa
I question the need for a dual voice coil sub on a monoblock amp. The amp is rated 400 watts into 2 ohms. To use the CompVR driver, you'll need to run the coils in series (resulting in a 4 ohm load and getting less wattage from the amp) or parallel (resulting in a 1 ohm load and risk damaging the amp). You'd be better off with a 2 ohm single coil sub. What will you be running for your front stage speakers/amp combo?
See, I don't really know much about the whole amp/sub pairing thing. I understand that ohms need to match, but I didn't know the whole dual voice coil thing either. I was also under the assumption that I didn't need to amplify the stock speakers.
I don't have anyone around that knows sound, and I was told by a guy at some audio shop that a mono amp for a single 12" sub should be good enough... I'm just not sure about the whole thing. I have searched the internet and many forums for good explanations, but I'm still not quite there with understanding.
I'm sorry in advance if if I seem ignorant, but I'm just trying to make sure I just don't go out and buy $600.00 worth of equipment and it won't even work together.

Sorry for the drawn out post, too. But, thanks for the time, effort, and help
Old 06-05-2011, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Everything else seems ok, just get the DVC 4 ohm sub. That way you can wire it to 2 ohms and the amp will get the proper wattage to the sub.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To clarify what Slody wrote: get a dual voice coil sub with each coil at 4 ohms impedance. You'd wire it in parallel ( + terminals wired together, - terminals wired together) to get a 2 ohm speaker. Or you can get a speaker with a single 2ohm voice coil. Either way will work well. Get which ever will fit your budget and will work in a 1 cubic foot sealed box. The audio guy you consulted did tell you the right thing, especially when you're running a single sub.

As to not amplifying the stock speakers, now there's a problem. You'll have 400 watts powering only a few notes of music (deep bass, 40-100 hz, nothing above that), but only 10-20 watts powering everything else. Imagine having full engine power when you floor the motor getting off the line, but having only 20% power for any speed above 15 miles an hour. Your front (main) speakers are you workhorses: they play nearly all the music. My advice is to get a good set of 2-way speakers to replace the stock speakers and a matching amp. Your sound will be awesome that way. You may have to replace the stock head unit with an aftermarket one, but a good one can be had for less than $150. Search out for other threads here for other good cheap advice on sound. Good hunting!
Old 06-06-2011, 11:29 AM
5 Year Member

^ I get the engine analogy, but is it better to get two separate amps (one for the sub and one for the front speakers) or get a multi-channel amp and have the sub on one channel and the front speakers on another?
And you really think the stock head unit couldn't handle that?

Thanks again.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The advantage of a single amp system is it's ease of installation (only one set of power cables). You'd get a 4 channel amp and run it 3 channels:2 for the front, 2 ch. bridged for the sub. You'll use the amp's internal crossover between the fronts and sub (using just one set of single cables). Two concerns come to mind: wattage and physical size.
You may not get the power you want for the sub in a single 4 channel amp (but most amps will give you the wattage you need in bridged mode). The other thing is that 4 channel amps are big. The easiest mounting location is under the front seats, but space is limited. There is space under the back seat, but may need some cutting into the plastic "shelf".

The nice thing about 2 amp systems is the ability to get what you want wattage wise.. Mounting is a bit easier (one amp under each seat), but wiring is more involved. If you're building you system step by step, then it's easier to get the sub system running first, then add the front end amp.

The stock stereo in the xB's make great claims for internal power, but they are worthless. They have the wattage, but too low current to really drive the speaker. Imagine two objects going 40 mph: a ping pong ball and a golf ball. Which one is gonna leave a mark? Externally amped front speakers always sound better than head unit power. They hit harder, cleaner and with more detail and life. If your budget only allows for the sub system, go for it. But make plans to upgrade your fronts, amp and speakers at a later time as budget allows.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

shattered my windshield..... https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=205964
Old 08-04-2011, 09:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are you buying the sub and amp used for really cheap? If not, I'd pass on those pieces.

I was powering my stock speakers with just a headunit, stock and then an aftermarket pioneer unit, and they got overwhelmed by the bass really easily. Roll the windows down+wind noise = game over. The lack of a decent EQ on the stock headunit made things sound pretty awful too.

I don't know if this is frowned upon on this board, but I've got a closet full of decent to nice gear I could sell you for dirt cheap and I'm in Socal. Do you plan on installing yourself?
Old 08-04-2011, 11:04 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by xbdition
I've got a closet full of decent to nice gear I could sell you for dirt cheap and I'm in Socal. Do you plan on installing yourself?
I have been told by a lot of people that the best, cost effective way, for me to go is just a mono amp and sub. I do not need any kind of record breaking or competition style sound in my car... I just want better range for my music.

I am currently looking at getting a 10" sub in an enclosed box. The box i like is here:
http://fgseonline.com/scion-08-11-sc-xb-10rp.html
I emailed the guy and he said that he does not charge tax and shipping is free... so far, the best deal in a custom box that i have found... just need the funds to make it happen... what kind of gear do you have XBdition???
Old 08-04-2011, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

There's certainly nothing wrong with getting a mono amp and sub. It can very easily turn cost ineffective though, once you start looking into features that add to the price of amps.

I'm looking at getting one of those fgse enclosures as well.

I have amps from MTX back when stuff from Mitek was still pretty good, Hifonics amp pushing 800watts RMS into 4 ohms, Zapco, Zed Audio, JL Audio, Image Dynamics IDQ12, JL 10w3v2, Eclipse Aluminum 10" sub, PG RSD12's, IDMAX12, and probably some other stuff in the closet I've forgotten about.

If you're interested, PM me. If you're not getting such a great deal on the stuff you listed, maybe we can work something out.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

BTW, reason I mention that the stuff you are looking into getting are passable unless you're getting a really great deal is because they are quite old, and not that great to begin with. That sub was an 07 series, and the amp has been discontinued for some time now I believe. I'd pay $100 max for the sub and amp together.