Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

1st 2012 Mods / CAI & Borla Duals

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 11:56 AM

Default 1st 2012 Mods / CAI & Borla Duals

Working on my Retro-Rod look this weekend I installed a AFE CX2-Pro Dry CAI and Borla Dual axle-back exhaust.
The AFE was a fairly easy install (except they sent me a tube missing the grommet hole for the crankcase return I had to do myself) and a pretty clean look installed. With the S.Fla weather an issue I didn't want anything that extended down to avoid possible hydro-lok issues. I'm not building a race car here just a little better breathing.
The Borla is a no-brainer install too if you have jack stands, lube spray and a big pry bar for the rubber hangers.
Together the sound is mellow and very complementary with one not overpowering the other. I did some highway & around town driving and while you can hear them both at various times it's a pleasant tone (no raspy s*it-can sound). Accelerating to highway speeds I did notice a bit of a drone at about 71-72 mph but it goes away as the speed levels off and you don't really hear much more from the exhaust unless you're pulling a grade or something like that. All & all I'm happy with these mods!
Now maybe a shift ball http://www.flameball.com/Abstract/ad-8.htm and I'm good to go

Old 09-20-2011, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

The AFE setup doesn't look half bad! Good to know that the Borla dual will fit the 2012 with no problems.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks interesting, congrats on the progress !
Old 09-22-2011, 12:00 PM

One benefit I'm noticing daily is since adding the duals my gas milage has gone up by around 8mpg average. I had the CAI on for a few days before I got around to installing the duals and I thought I actually lost a couple of mpg but once I put the duals on it seems like the entire package balanced out.

As most guys that have ever successfully built high performance / race cars knows, having everything balanced works best (ex. a huge cam with a small uncalibrated carb and stock headers will probably be slower than what you had) and this CAI with the Borla duals seems a perfect match.

I've been looking at 31-40 mpg consistantly around town w/ some hwy driving looking at the car driving steady (not accelerating or decelerating). I'll run a hard calculation on the next fill-up but what I'm seeing on the guages is significant enough to post.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's awesome! Try to reset your car's ECU to see if you still return those numbers.

Interesting the computer shows that significant of a gain, so I hope your hand calculations will reveal good things.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AJ_Gil
One benefit I'm noticing daily is since adding the duals my gas milage has gone up by around 8mpg average. I had the CAI on for a few days before I got around to installing the duals and I thought I actually lost a couple of mpg but once I put the duals on it seems like the entire package balanced out.

As most guys that have ever successfully built high performance / race cars knows, having everything balanced works best (ex. a huge cam with a small uncalibrated carb and stock headers will probably be slower than what you had) and this CAI with the Borla duals seems a perfect match.

I've been looking at 31-40 mpg consistantly around town w/ some hwy driving looking at the car driving steady (not accelerating or decelerating). I'll run a hard calculation on the next fill-up but what I'm seeing on the guages is significant enough to post.
No offense, but I don't believe an 8mpg increase from adding a Borla dual or any other axleback (or a catback for that matter) -- even 2mpg is highly suspect IMO. And yes, you should definitely be calculating by hand to determine actual MPG. You should also use a consistent gas source, tire pressure, and calculate over several fill ups, not just one.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:58 AM

You are correct!
Measured the miles against the gas on my last fill up and got 22,2 mpg. That's mostly S. Fla city driving with the AC on and maybe 1/4 highway.
Still, great bang for the buck with these things IMHO!
Old 09-26-2011, 01:23 PM

AJ Gil - when did you pick up your xB? I had to wait over 6 weeks for my xB because I was trying very hard to get a Super White '12 but it seemed that I might as well be trying to get a Pepto Pink Lamborghini. I settled on the Classic Silver Metallic, and I am happy with the color but I do envy the Super White.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:05 PM

I did some inquiries online and a local dealership here in the Ft Lauderdale area had 2. I bought it 1st week in August. I"m pretty sure it just came off the truck because there was no dealer detailing (and I didn't have to pay for it lol). That was all they had and when I was back there last week there were none on the lot.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You are correct!
Measured the miles against the gas on my last fill up and got 22,2 mpg. That's mostly S. Fla city driving with the AC on and maybe 1/4 highway.
Still, great bang for the buck with these things IMHO!
My experience is MPG depends heavily on how one drives and the problem with performance mods is they tend to make it easier to consume more gas. The xB can do very well if you're pointedly easy on the throttle, anticipate stops and slow downs, try to avoid strong braking situations, coast when safe to do so, etc.

Obviously, tire pressure comes into play -- I just realized a couple weeks ago I'd allowed my usual 35psi to dip to the 30-31 region. Pretty sure that cost me my missing 2mpg last summer (compared to previous year) . Some people like to raise the tire pressure a lot, trouble with that is it makes the vehicle less safe due to poorer traction in emergency maneuvering/braking and on wet/slick roads. Two other effects being shorter tire life and a much harder ride.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:16 PM

I just putt around with the thing as I obviously wasn't looking for a performance vehicle although it does have quite a bit of zip for a 4 banger.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:53 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The borla exhaust is the best looking exhaust on the 2nd Gen xB in my opinion. Great looking xB!
Old 09-28-2011, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Super clean and off to a great start! Where in South Florida are you? I'm in Hialeah.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by DREWxB08
Super clean and off to a great start! Where in South Florida are you? I'm in Hialeah.
Plantation.
Maybe we should see who else is around and get together at Tower Shoppes (595 & university, great car show / get together every Friday night) once the weather mellows out.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just putt around with the thing as I obviously wasn't looking for a performance vehicle although it does have quite a bit of zip for a 4 banger.
Both my vehicles are four cylinder and the '90 Eclipse GSX zips very well, and considering the body style, weight, and gearing, the '08 xB does pretty good too ! Yep, there are definitely faster machines on the road, but there are plenty slower too (though I admittedly get passed a lot given my generally laid back driving style). Performance mods are nice though, every once in a while, when circumstances merit, they can make a useful difference !
Old 12-11-2011, 02:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice seeing you say this because it's absolutely true for me as well, so many Scion owners here think they have an all out race car that needs extreme scientific data to back any mod done or it's a "waste of money" lol

And trevors, your mostly stock, barely 200whp gsx is hardly very zippy
Old 12-11-2011, 07:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by NocturnalxRS6
Nice seeing you say this because it's absolutely true for me as well, so many Scion owners here think they have an all out race car that needs extreme scientific data to back any mod done or it's a "waste of money" lol
^ Posts like this + wasting bandwidth = Waste of money lol!

Jk. I think what we all really want is people not making unsupported claims and fooling the new people who don't know about bolt-ons. It's our duty to make sure the ignorant don't have a following lol
Old 12-11-2011, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

People value different things. I don't care if I can't beat a Mustang, but I don't wanna get smashed on by a cube or a hamster. lol In all seriousness folks are just lookin for a lil more-styling, power, noise, etc.