Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Bosch Iridium Spark Plugs

Old 09-24-2011, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Bosch Iridium Spark Plugs

I am happy to report that I was one of the SL members selected to receive a complimentary set of the Bosch Iridium plugs. I say happy because these plugs are great. I put them in last week with just under 93k miles on the ODO. They came with the gap set perfectly from the factory. I really hadn't observed any loss of power, performance or mpg with the OEM Denzo plugs, but I have noticed benefits from the new plugs in the 500 miles that I've driven since the install.

When accelerating away from a stop I've spun the front 225/45-17 tires a little bit on several occasions without trying at all, before the traction control kicks in. That was something really hard to do before, and the throttle had to be just perfectly controlled. It also feels like the engine RPM is spinning up more freely, kind of like the feeling when you add a light weight crank pulley.

I've been playing a little more with the gas pedal than I usually do, but I didn't see a decrease in mpg for the first tank with the new plugs. I'm hoping that as I return to my usually mundane commute driving tempo I might see a small increase in mpg. As I put more miles on, I will update this thread as to any measurable change in mpg.

I used to replace the OEM plugs on all my motorcycles (past life) and cars with a certain well known 3 letter brand. Since being fortunate enough to get the opportunity to try these Bosch plugs, they will now be my go-to replacement.

For those who are wondering how my OEM plugs wore, here are a couple pics. I don't have an SLR camera, so super close-ups aren't perfectly clear but you should get the idea. Denzo plugs burned clean and looked good IMO for 93k miles. Gap had opened up the slightest bit from the center electrode wearing away, but actually less than I had expected. The Denzo iridium long-life is a good plug, but my butt dyno is telling me that the Bosch iridium long-life is a better plug... time will tell.

Name:  bosch1.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  48.9 KB

Name:  bosch2.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  42.2 KB
Old 09-25-2011, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool dude !

I can easily take-off spin my front wheels without TRAC attack (did a relatively major one just this evening -- though generally try not to ), but I've made quite a few breathing associated mods. I'm currently running Bosch Platinum in my almost 140Kmi '90 Eclipse GSX and at least for me, they easily blow away the performance of the heavily community touted NGK copper (I don't get much respect for mentioning that discrepancy -- more like a dog house !) Congrats on getting a free set of plugs and I'm happy to hear of your beneficial results. If Bosch cares to provide me with same, I'd be happy to report my own findings !
Old 09-25-2011, 01:32 AM
SL Member

Nice, im thinking about changing mine out soon. But i prefer ngk over bosch though.. since those were complimentary cant complain.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
I am happy to report that I was one of the SL members selected to receive a complimentary set of the Bosch Iridium plugs. I say happy because these plugs are great. I put them in last week with just under 93k miles on the ODO. They came with the gap set perfectly from the factory. I really hadn't observed any loss of power, performance or mpg with the OEM Denzo plugs, but I have noticed benefits from the new plugs in the 500 miles that I've driven since the install.

When accelerating away from a stop I've spun the front 225/45-17 tires a little bit on several occasions without trying at all, before the traction control kicks in. That was something really hard to do before, and the throttle had to be just perfectly controlled. It also feels like the engine RPM is spinning up more freely, kind of like the feeling when you add a light weight crank pulley.

I've been playing a little more with the gas pedal than I usually do, but I didn't see a decrease in mpg for the first tank with the new plugs. I'm hoping that as I return to my usually mundane commute driving tempo I might see a small increase in mpg. As I put more miles on, I will update this thread as to any measurable change in mpg.

I used to replace the OEM plugs on all my motorcycles (past life) and cars with a certain well known 3 letter brand. Since being fortunate enough to get the opportunity to try these Bosch plugs, they will now be my go-to replacement.

For those who are wondering how my OEM plugs wore, here are a couple pics. I don't have an SLR camera, so super close-ups aren't perfectly clear but you should get the idea. Denzo plugs burned clean and looked good IMO for 93k miles. Gap had opened up the slightest bit from the center electrode wearing away, but actually less than I had expected. The Denzo iridium long-life is a good plug, but my butt dyno is telling me that the Bosch iridium long-life is a better plug... time will tell.

I do believe you dude, check out the address http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp...ion/index.html
It might be of your interest