Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Installing component front speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Installing component front speakers?

Currently I have a pair of Infinity Reference coax speakers in front and stock speakers in the rear doors. I'd like to move the coax to the rear doors and install 6.5" components in front. I have a few questions:

1) How difficult is it to replace the oem tweeters with aftermarket?
2) Are the passive tweeter crossovers installed on the tweeters so I can use the oem wiring?
3) What's a good spacer to use behind the woofers?

Also, does the premium HU really sound better than the base HU? Is it worth buying a premium HU if I can find one cheap? I'd rather not get into adding a PAC and iPod interfaces required with an aftermarket HU. Any advice is appreciated. TIA.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey Clean XB, I've been good, just really busy with the holidays and working 55-60 hrs a week. Still driving my XB occasionally but wish I hadn't installed the Mishimoto 140F t-stat. How about you?

Thanks for the answers and info. I haven't installed components in years now and forgot some things. I suppose if I'm going to the trouble of upgrading the HU I'd like to gain something more than pre-amps outs that I may or may not use. I'm perfectly satisfied with my current spkr-lvl sub/amp setup. What does the T1814 offer that my base HU doesn't? I found a 2012 Pioneer T1819 that I'd love to use but can't find any info on how difficult the swap would be. The T1819 has HD Radio and blue tooth built-in as well as pre-amp outs. Unfortunately it appears to have a special dual-antenna connector.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree with Clean XB except for one detail: using a Dremel to enlarge the stock tweeter location. Unless you practice a bit, it's too easy to dig too much on one side while making a circular opening. I find a large diameter wood dowel with sandpaper wrapped around it easier to make a smoother, more even circular hole. Just go slow and you'll get a nice round hole. I've got Infinity's in my Box and they only required a touch of sanding on the tweeter panels to fit.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KaneoheKoa
I agree with Clean XB except for one detail: using a Dremel to enlarge the stock tweeter location. Unless you practice a bit, it's too easy to dig too much on one side while making a circular opening. I find a large diameter wood dowel with sandpaper wrapped around it easier to make a smoother, more even circular hole. Just go slow and you'll get a nice round hole. I've got Infinity's in my Box and they only required a touch of sanding on the tweeter panels to fit.
So with the Infinity Kappa's the components came with several different styles of mounting brackets to choose from for the tweeters... Is the sound staging still effective with the stock location? Or would it behoove me to bit the bullet and do some custom work to get those mounting brackets into the OEM sill location?
Old 01-21-2012, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Running new wires into the door panel really isnt necessary unless your running some really high powered speakers.

If you don't want to cut your own MDF trim rings elemental designs make them LINK

Other than that sounds like your on point with everything else.

If you do go with a aftermarket stereo don't get a pac swc, I hate mine. Get the metra axxess aswc, it has a insanely fast response and auto programs (generally) with no hassle.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

There's adapters that someone on ebay sells that are plastic. I highly recommend plastic over MDF. If any condensation gets in the door, the MDF will absorb the water and mold and mildew will accumulate. Seen it before, not very pretty.

I've been meaning to get in touch with my CNC guy and get some made.

Good luck on your venture.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks everyone! Good suggestions on tweeter mounting, wiring, speaker adapters and SW controllers. I don't know when or if I'll get around to new speaker and/or a new HU but I have a much better idea of what's involved and what to buy. Thanks to all.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:59 AM

As I discovered, you should change the speaker wire. There is a crossover in there somewhere that you will need to bypass. Also, are the new comps Reference or Kappa? Kappas are amazing speakers, but should probably be amplified.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I meant running new wires into the door isn't necessary. Running a new wire from the factory line in the door to the tweeter is if there is a capacitor inline on the door wiring or on the kappa wiring should be done.

And the kappa speakers should definately be amplified.. any component set or higher than 40w speaker should be as your average aftermarket stereo's output is generally around 15-20w rms.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The stock tweeter locations are okay. Cars don't really give you any good options for both good imaging and good blend of the woofer/tweeter. Put your tweeter in the stock location, upgrade the wiring (easy with 16ga), add an amp and drive into the sunset happy!